Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 05-09-2009
Forum Moderator

Thanks Curt. I look forward to reading it. I will make sure it finds a home here on WOG.
Old 05-09-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtsprenger View Post
I'll send to your email address the trans. code list that I have. I can upload it to this Forum but not sure where I should put it. And I do not know if it pertains to your Trans.
Curt,

You can upload the code list right here in this sub-forum Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Just start a new thread and title it something like Allison Transmission Codes or whatever you think is appropriate and before you click on "Submit Reply" also click on
Stick this thread after you submit your message found under Additional Options, that way the thread will always stay near the top of this sub-forum. If you have a problem let me know if I can help.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 05-09-2009
Geek

I show these:

CODE 12 Low Oil Level

CODE 13 Low Battery Voltage

CODE 14 Forward Pressure Switch Inoperative

CODE 15 Reverse Pressure Switch Inoperative

CODE 21 Throttle Sensor Inoperative

CODE 22 Speed Sensor Inoperative

CODE 23 Shift Selector

CODE 24 Oil Temperature (High Limit Exceeded)

CODE 32 Transmission Direction Signal

CODE 33 Oil Temperature Sensor Inoperative

CODE 34 Prom Check

CODES 41 Through 45 And 51 Through 53:
Solenoids J F D C B A G E Or H Inoperative

CODE 46 Solenoid A Inoperative

CODE 54 A B C D F And J Solenoid Off Test

CODE 69 Electronic Control Unit (ECU) Failure
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 05-09-2009

Mine did something similar yesterday. I went too get fuel and after fueling started the engine and the thing would not shift from neutral to any gear. Idle RPM's were 700, normal. Everything else appeared normal while the coach was rinning. I shut the coach off and let it sit while pondering what to do without schematics for an HT-755 Allison 5 speed. i turned the key to run and watched the key pad go through the do not shift sequence which is normal and let the buzzers dye down. Turned the key and started the coach, placed the tranny in D and all was well. I shifted it numerous times in the mountains with the retarder on after that and no problems.
I am confident I failed to let the transmission go through its start check sequence the first time and that may have caused the issue. At least a couple of folks who know a lot more than I conclude that could happen. My tranny code light had been unplugged long before I ever purchased the coach.
I would like to see if I can force this event to happen the next time I move the bus but I would rather do that in the driveway at home just in case. I checked the ground last year when I checked the battery and engine ground straps.
Wierd.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 05-09-2009
freight train

Rob,
I had zf trans in one of the birds I own and it would not go into gear, the problem was low batterys, I dont know if this applys to the allison. Might check. Hope thats all it is.Bob
gregg@tfon.com
Port Angeles, WA
Old 05-09-2009
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight Train View Post
Rob,
I had zf trans in one of the birds I own and it would not go into gear, the problem was low batterys, I dont know if this applys to the allison. Might check. Hope thats all it is.Bob
Voltage is good Bob. I removed the Throttle Position Sensor and cleaned the contacts, dielectric greased them and took the rig for a ride. No luck, it shifts a little weird in the lower gears and will not go into gear if you put it into neutral. You still have to shut engine down and restart to get it into drive. I've been on the Williams Controls site and I believe I've found the right TPS if that proves to be the problem. I'll be taking the sensor into DD Monday for a check.
Old 05-09-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
I show these:

CODE 12 Low Oil Level

CODE 13 Low Battery Voltage

CODE 14 Forward Pressure Switch Inoperative

CODE 15 Reverse Pressure Switch Inoperative

CODE 21 Throttle Sensor Inoperative

CODE 22 Speed Sensor Inoperative

CODE 23 Shift Selector

CODE 24 Oil Temperature (High Limit Exceeded)

CODE 32 Transmission Direction Signal

CODE 33 Oil Temperature Sensor Inoperative

CODE 34 Prom Check

CODES 41 Through 45 And 51 Through 53:
Solenoids J F D C B A G E Or H Inoperative

CODE 46 Solenoid A Inoperative

CODE 54 A B C D F And J Solenoid Off Test

CODE 69 Electronic Control Unit (ECU) Failure
I uploaded 3 pages of Allison Transmission Diagnostic Codes provided by Curt Sprenger into the forum Database, they can be found at;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission > Allison Transmission Diagnostic Codes

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 05-10-2009

Rob
Our bus does this every great once in awhile. I did some research and read something about a bad/false engine speed being sent to transmission. I was warned by P.O. about this happening every now and again. It occurs so infrequently that I have not pursued it any farther. I hope you get resolution...JOE sends
Dover, Fla.
Retired from first job...
Working too hard at second one !!!
Old 05-28-2009
Forum Moderator

Here's a short update on my tranny problem. I will post more details and pics in the near future but for now I believe it is fixed. Prior to today I couldn't make more than two or three shifts and it would then go into neutral and stay there. After trying a new TPS and a new Transmission Engine Communication Link (TECL) without success I pulled the tranny ECU and when I unplugged it I found moisture in one of the plugs. It was the plug that brought in the TPS data from the TECL (have schematics which I will post later). The moisture got into the genny fan bay area through a failed bay door seal. The plugs into the ECU are NOT Water Proof. Needless to say I've goopuckied them shut with Silicon. Before siliconing them shut I cleaned the plugs with electrical contact cleaner and applied dialectric grease. I've tested the fix with numerous shifts from neutral to drive, reverse, fist, second etc etc and it would appear to working. I will road test soon.
Old 05-28-2009

Default Tranny won't shift

I will guess the tech will hookup to transhealth and depending on the year of the coach will be able to get some trouble codes from the ECM. A lot of todays tranny issues with the Allison are OEM wiring issues and not Allisons. Many a transmission has been changed when it was just a matter of cleaning the terminals on the connections or making sure you have a good ground. Put the new trans in and had disconnected and reconeected the wiring harness and thats where the issue was and was never known until the trans was tore down. Good tech's will check wiring first. I work for W.W.Williams the distributor for Allison as a Territory Sales Rep in Mid Michigan. Make sure you take it to a certified Allison dealer. Hope this helps
"STL CRZY"
Email: slckpurdy@aol.com