Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 01-13-2008

Default Onan genset Overheating

Hi guys. I have a 91 SP with an Onan 8.0 genset and it is overheating. If I remember right the squirl cage fan is to run ALL the time right??

Well this one is not any one have any ideas?? Thanks Tom(birdless) helping a buddy that stopped in at my place.
Old 01-13-2008
Administrator

Yep, The fan is the first thing to get the juice, direct from the Onan. If the Onan is running and generating power, The fan motor is probably dead.
It maybe time to flush the radiator when repairing the fan.
On our Onan, I do not think BB hooked up the correct temp sensor, to the gage, the gage reads about 10/15 degrees too hot. It has a 185 degree thermostat.
THis picture may help.
http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/gro...view/be65?b=11
Old 01-13-2008
Former Bird Owner

My 15kw Powertech has, essentially, the same fan/radiator arrangement. The fan runs when the generator is on. Without the fan, the generator will overheat in 10 to 30 minutes depending on the ambient temperature.

Find and electric motor service center and get a new or rebuilt motor of the same rating. I had them install the motor in the squirrel fan and re-balance the whole thing when I replaced my motor recently. I paid about $360 (in the San Francisco area) and another member paid about 180 for similar service in the LA area.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 01-13-2008
Administrator

Hey Tom,

The motors are available from www.grainger.com
Old 01-13-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
Hey Tom,

The motors are available from www.grainger.com
I used the same fan as what was on Randy's PT and we got it from Johnstone Supply. Here is a link to a list of their stores in Georgia;
http://www.johnstonesupply.com/corp/...t.aspx?find=GA

The parts numbers including the fan motor and capacitor are listed on this photo.

If the photo is hard to read here is the link to the page on my photo web site. http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/52361799

I was wondering if it could be a defective capacitor?

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 01-13-2008

Ok.. Thanks for all the good info guys.

The fan does run BUT!! not all the time. It started last night when my buddy stpped for the night, he strated the genny and it ran for about 2.5 hrs and then quit.(overheated?? we think. temp gauge for genny dosnt work) in the am. a puddle of coolant under the genset and it was out of coolant in the res.tank. So today we filled it with water and started it up and it ran for 1 to 1.5 hrs then the temp started creeping up( I was keeping an eye on the temp with an infared temp gun) once it started getting above 170 to 180 it got hot in a hurry(at this point I wasnt paying atention to the fan) So I shut it down. Started checking a couple other problems he was having with the coach and he had a cople breakers off and ( and the lightbulb came on, 110 for the fan) So when and checked and sure enough the fan wasnt turning. Got the breakers on and bingo . Strted the genny and the fan started turning,so drained water and filled with coolant and thought it was good to go.ran for 30 min. and it got hot and the fan was OFF not running. So shut it down and thought I better talk to the experts. you guys !!

So FAn motor or ?? something else to make it run intermittant?? Thanks Tom
Old 01-13-2008
Former Bird Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjseitz View Post
Ok.. Thanks for all the good info guys.

The fan does run BUT!! not all the time. It started last night when my buddy stpped for the night, he strated the genny and it ran for about 2.5 hrs and then quit.(overheated?? we think. temp gauge for genny dosnt work) in the am. a puddle of coolant under the genset and it was out of coolant in the res.tank. (snip)
So Fan motor or ?? something else to make it run intermittant?? Thanks Tom
Likely the fan motor is kaput. Mine ran intermittently before it died. I thought it might be thermostat activated but it was just heading toward dying. Now when the generator's on the fan is on.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 01-13-2008

Man thats not what I was wanting to hear!! But that sounds about right because the first time I watched the fan at startup, the fan seemed to start off slow and then up to speed. Most elc. motors that I can remember are almost immediatly at speed??

Sooo does the whole genset and slide need to come out to get to the fan and rad?? On the SP it slides in the front. Tom
Old 01-14-2008
Administrator

Tom,

If the insulation is breaking down, this debris and road dirt gets sucked into the fan motor and probably the radiator, The motors usually have a thermal protecton circuit breaker. The breaker will trip when the motor is hot, then reset as it cools.
You may be able to blow the dirt out of the motor , for a temporary fix , but doubtful.
Sometimes these motors have a sticker that states to add drops of oil occationally.
So I, suspect the motor needs replaced and possibly the squirrel cage, The cage gets out of balance from dirt and these bearing also dry out.
The motor is a 208 volt motor, they usually have three speeds , just chose the high speed.
The Grainger part numbers that I used: motor 4M099, about $70 and the squirrell cage blower 4C592 about $90/100. www.grainger.com
Other possibilities are water pump, thermostat, radiator need flushed or a recore.
This will keep ypu busy for a day ot two.......
Old 01-14-2008

HAHAHA .... just what I needed... Thanks for the info Bill. I take it the whole slide and genny need to come out to get at it , right?? Tom