Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 06-14-2009

Default seat belts for baby seat

My wife and I are getting ready for our first trip in the new motorhome, with our newborm, due next week. We will be taking him to see his Grandma in GA when he is about 4 weeks old, and my wife is worried about the car seat? We coudl use the seat belts in the sofa, but the car seats really are not designed for side to side impact.

What have others done with this problem??

Adam
Old 06-14-2009
Forum owner

I;m sure David will speak up here,but I have seen his son and car seat in the passenger seat.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-14-2009

2 concerns with the pass. seat. Number one I like my wife to get to sit up front with my, especially when I need some navigation help. Second I wonder if the very front seat, behind the windshield, is the safest place? In our charter bus company we call the front seats the suicide seats.

Adam
Old 06-14-2009

I understand, you want the child seat facing the way it would in the back seat of the car and I would too. I might suggest that if you place the seat on the couch as you would want it oriented the seat belt would come out from between the back of the couch correctly on one half of the belt. (either right side of the belt or left side) What I would do then is to get another seat belt and take the opposite end (which ever piece you need) and secure it to the lower frame of the couch so that the belt is going through the infant seat as it should be and then you could cinch the seat down securely to the couch with the child facing back as he should be. Only way I can see doing this. You are going to have to secure one section of a seat belt to either the floor or the couch to make this idea work.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 06-21-2009

We can place a car seat in the chair just forward of the booth. Our two chairs across from the sofa both have seatbelts that bolt through the floor. The chair forward of the booth does not have a window beside it.

Regards,

Glenn
Old 04-24-2012

I am planning on mounting something to secure a car seat. Originally thought about mounting about a foot long track system hidden somewhat under edge of couch. Showing my ignorance, I read this thread and realized it needs to be facing forward. I don't want to put him in front seat. John's idea would work with the track secured under edge of couch. Has there been anyone come up with any other solutions. Btw I have two couch system.
Old 04-24-2012

Why not just get the male end of a seatbelt (that's long enough) and bolt it just under the outer (front) edge of the couch. Run it up the front of the couch, through the seat and attach it to one fo the existing female connectors. That way it could easily be tucked under the couch when not it use and allow you to connect him either forwards or backwards, depending on need. You'd only need one bolt through the floor that way

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 04-24-2012

yup, i like
Old 03-12-2016

Resurrecting an almost 4 year old post here, but I suspect safety standards have changed in 4 years.

I'm going to be taking my 3 year old grandson from Atlanta to Americus (less than 150 miles) in a couple of months. Elise will not be with me but he's pretty well behaved when he's with his grandpa.

In the car, he sits in the back seat facing forward. When we have taken him in our car, there's a single seat belt built into our almost-new CRV. Pretty easy to attach the seat to that and the floor.

I can do that with either the front seat or the forward facing dinette seat. Do I need to attach it all the way through the steel plate on the floor. I suspect the answer is "yes".

Since it's just the 2 of us I'm inclined to have him in the passenger seat with me. I guess I could turn that seat around backwards.

Any other suggestions?
Old 03-12-2016
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick Miller View Post
Resurrecting an almost 4 year old post here, but I suspect safety standards have changed in 4 years.

I'm going to be taking my 3 year old grandson from Atlanta to Americus (less than 150 miles) in a couple of months. Elise will not be with me but he's pretty well behaved when he's with his grandpa.

In the car, he sits in the back seat facing forward. When we have taken him in our car, there's a single seat belt built into our almost-new CRV. Pretty easy to attach the seat to that and the floor.

I can do that with either the front seat or the forward facing dinette seat. Do I need to attach it all the way through the steel plate on the floor. I suspect the answer is "yes".

Since it's just the 2 of us I'm inclined to have him in the passenger seat with me. I guess I could turn that seat around backwards.

Any other suggestions?

I would turn the pass. seat around,and strap the little darling in place!
Since your traveling alone,i would want to keep my eyes on him.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com