Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 07-02-2009

Default Check engine light info

My check engine light came on. Code 34-Reads-"Turbo boost sensor voltage low".. Can it be driven with light on? Will it auto-shutdown? Any suggestions on how to find/correct this problem? Any advise appreciated.. Thanks, Red
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=172
Base > Near San Antonio,TX
Old 07-02-2009

Red,

If I had to venture a guess, the computer is not getting the proper return signal from the sensor- either due to a wire/connector failure or a sensor failure. With a wiring diagram you should be able to physically check the wires. You can use a digital ohm meter with 10K resistance to measure the voltage. It has to has that internal resistance or you'll possibly damage the computer just testing the voltage. If you're getting proper voltage, check the sensor to something obstructing the port then replace it. It's probably not too expensive.

I would say you can drive it, just pay close attention to the boost gauge. It MAY not currently have a way to control excess boost, so you'll have to be careful.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 07-02-2009
Forum owner

and,the first thing to always check on a bird is the engine grounds,sometimes the orignal grounds are very hard to find and get to,so maybe just run a new ground cable from the batteries to a CLEAN spot on the engine.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-05-2009

Thanks Randy. I ran new grounds, battery to frame to engine. Didn't notice any change, but peace of mind is good..

Thanks fxdwg. Haven't got one yet, but plan to aquire a multimeter very soon..
You mentioned that I should closely watch the boost meter. Could you explain a little further? All I know about the gage is the book says it shouldn't go over 23.2 at max power. Mine is pretty much at zero at idle. 1# at 15 mph. and about 3# reved to 1500 rpm. That is all I have tested so far. I will go wed. to take the test for class B license & will be able to check it more if I know what is normal. Can you tell me what it should read at different speeds & situations ?? Thanks again for the help, Red
P.S. If it matters, its a 8V92
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=172
Base > Near San Antonio,TX
Old 07-05-2009
Forum Moderator

Red I see 20 plus when I leave a stop sign and when cruising along the freeway at 1500rpm I certainly see more than 3 lbs
Old 07-05-2009
Forum owner

you will get almost no boost unless you are driving the coach,and on level ground you will not get much boost,give it **** going up the steepest hill around and watch the gauge,thats when you will get high boost.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-05-2009

Turbochargers are load dependant. Therefore unless you are putting a load on the engine through acceleration or hill climbing you probably won't see much boost. My Cummins makes almost no boost in first gear but once it is in second gear it starts building the power and boost.

In neutral, there will be little or no boost.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 07-07-2009

Red,

What I was concerned about was getting too much boost and the system not being able to cut it back, thus potentially damaging something. As everybody has said, you need to be running down the road to get boost. You should see low 20's on a good pull and anywhere from 0 to maybe 10 on level ground- depending on how steady your foot is. I can get mine to push 25 or just a touch above on a good hill, but I usually can't get people out of my way long enough to really run her!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 07-07-2009

Coming off a stop with the pedal to the metal you should see shifts right at 2000 rpm and 20 to 21 inches of boost. I can always tell when something needs to be fixed because I'll start to see lower boost at the shift points. When everything is working right I'll see 25 psi, give or take a bit, on a long pull in 3rd or 4th gear. One time I saw about 27 psi on a very very long pull in 3rd gear (between 45 and 50 mph).

I should have added that, as mentioned, boost is load dependant and you'll only see those really high boosts when the grade is just right so that you're at max hp at about 2000 rpm for a long stretch. Otherwise you'll shift down to the next lower gear and everything will change.
1993 WB #104663 (SOLD)
Boulder City, NV
Old 07-07-2009

I see 28 psi as soon as a floor it, cant complain @ that !! but try not to see the needle that side of the gauge, I use it as an economy meter less boost = less fuel used, so far recon 9 mpg towing & using the genny loads, but motors not ran in yet (sorry off topic )

2004 wanderlodge M380