Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
I wonder if a bad shift modulator (air powered) could leak enough pressurized air into the trans to get it to puke? Thinking out loud.
I think you might be on to something. This may explain why it is only appearing after being driven. Assuming the shift modulator is only pressurized when being driven. I just replaced mine before pine mountain.

The vent on my 84 is just a small metal cap type. It is on the top of the trans in the middle. Mine actually spewed transmission fluid out the dipstick tube when I accidentally overfilled it, do not think any came out of the vent.

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984Lodge View Post
I think you might be on to something. This may explain why it is only appearing after being driven. Assuming the shift modulator is only pressurized when being driven. I just replaced mine before pine mountain.

The vent on my 84 is just a small metal cap type. It is on the top of the trans in the middle. Mine actually spewed transmission fluid out the dipstick tube when I accidentally overfilled it, do not think any came out of the vent.
The modulator is tee'd into the throttle pedal air, so it only sees air when you're on the gas. I replaced mine last spring because I noticed it hissing when I was changing the throttle valve and testing it.

I thought mine had a hose on it, but maybe someone added that. In any case it's in the same spot and could be plugged up. They will puke from there if overfilled and you drive it.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I'm at the mercy of the guys at the Allison shop now. They have promised they'll call before doing anything, so I hope they will.

In all fairness, this transmission did get hot when the line to the cooler broke. I hope it's nothing too serious, but I still think this could be the result of the heat.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am headed out of town and don't expect to hear from them for a day or so.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick Miller View Post
I'm at the mercy of the guys at the Allison shop now. They have promised they'll call before doing anything, so I hope they will.

In all fairness, this transmission did get hot when the line to the cooler broke. I hope it's nothing too serious, but I still think this could be the result of the heat.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am headed out of town and don't expect to hear from them for a day or so.
Stick, just throwing this this out for you to think about. Could this line that broke have anything to do with hitting some debris in the road? May be too late now anyway, but if you can somehow connect the line breaking with hitting a road gator or some other debris, your insurance might cover it. I only say this because on our way down to WOG I saw the brake lights come on a truck in front of me. They after he went over it I saw what initially looked like a big piece of white cardboard, on the road. I was able to miss it and got on the CB and alerted George Hall behind me to watch out for it. Then I kept seeing smaller pieces of debris all over the road and was able to miss them. About a mile or two down the road I counted over a dozen vehicles stopped on the emergency lane of I-65 and the people were all standing outside and looking over their vehicles. No question they ran over something and it caused them issues of some sort. Like I said, it may be too late now for you, but just wanted to throw that out.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Thanks, Jim. They think the leak is coming from the retarder. There is a steel pin coming out of the bottom of the tetarder. That pin has a hole all the way through. Think soda straw. That is where I he most oil is coming from. The shop I’m Albany is not confident they can obtain the parts OR fix it once they get the points. I’m out of town until Tuesday so I'm going to have them pull it out of the shop shop so I can call around and make a decision.

I’m leaning toward having the retarder repaired and having the transmission serviced, and hold my breath.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quick update. The bus is at WW Williams in Atlanta. Right now they are treating this as a transmission leak. We’ll see.

Incidentally, I added a gallon of transmission fluid before leaving Americus for Atlanta. (125 miles). I pulled the CR-V and the transmission performed a flawlessly. It shifted as it should and the only problem was a toad full of fluid.

I’m leaning toward trying to have the transmission serviced and the retarder rebuilt or replaced. Not sure if just the retarder can be purchased separately, but we shall see.

At any rate I will have all the hoses replaced.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
... on our way down to WOG I saw the brake lights come on a truck in front of me. They after he went over it I saw what initially looked like a big piece of white cardboard, on the road. I was able to miss it and got on the CB and alerted George Hall behind me to watch out for it. Then I kept seeing smaller pieces of debris all over the road and was able to miss them. About a mile or two down the road I counted over a dozen vehicles stopped on the emergency lane of I-65 and the people were all standing outside and looking over their vehicles.
You and George must have been the 2 BBs that blew past me! I had just bought Kirk's 86PT and was headed down I65 to home in Dothan, AL. I missed that road debris and saw all those people on the side of the road. I paid close attention to the tires for an hour in case I picked up something giving a slow leak.

“The Cat’s Meow”
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick Miller View Post
Quick update. The bus is at WW Williams in Atlanta. Right now they are treating this as a transmission leak. We’ll see.

Incidentally, I added a gallon of transmission fluid before leaving Americus for Atlanta. (125 miles). I pulled the CR-V and the transmission performed a flawlessly. It shifted as it should and the only problem was a toad full of fluid.

I’m leaning toward trying to have the transmission serviced and the retarder rebuilt or replaced. Not sure if just the retarder can be purchased separately, but we shall see.

At any rate I will have all the hoses replaced.
Well lets hope they can get you patched up and keep your toad clean...

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460