Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 09-14-2009

Default Changing Oil & Filters on PowerTech 15KW Generator

For those of us who are doing this for the first time, you folks with the experience can guide us here. Simple job. Filters and drain plug located conveniently. However, I want to be sure I bleed the air from the fuel line to avoid damaging the injectors.

The manual points to a switch on the fuel pump for bleeding. Not there. So I use the preheat switch for 10 seconds separated by 30 seconds to not overheat the glow plugs. Did I miss something? It is a Facet pump with no number and the wire going into the side of it.

The manual points to a bleed valve between the filter and the injector fuel line. It's there, but when I open it and turn on the pump, I get nothing out, neither fuel nor air. Does this pass air but not fuel? Unlikely. Maybe the bleed hole is plugged with paint. Maybe it's just a shutoff valve? Its normal positon has been full closkwise.

More seriously, the rubber fuel line from the valve to the fuel rail was cracked at the ends where it goes over the bead on the metal tube. THAT is a future fuel leak, which, on a hot engine, becomes a BIG ISSUE. I have gone to five places trying to find one foot of that hose. It is too small for most places including NAPA. Tomorrow I will try a cycle shop.

Would appreciate any answers from those of you who do this all the time.
Old 09-14-2009

Just fill the clean fuel filter to the top with clean diesel fuel. Crank your engine and run just at a fast idle. That should do it.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 09-15-2009
Thomas Rembert

The bleed valve on mine just routes the fuel though to the return line. It does work to get the air out, you just can't see it.
2018 Allegro Bus 45ft 4 slide
Alachua, FL/Blackhawk, CO.
Old 09-15-2009

Thanks, guys. Now I understand the bleed valve. Makes sense. No fuel would run over the engine. Guess I was thinking of a radiator type of bleed valve.
Old 09-15-2009
Former Bird Owner

If you're careful to fill the fuel filter 'to the brim' (and don't spill it everywhere while putting it on), the engine will start up with no more than the usual effort. Plan ahead, get the new filter ready. Take off the old filter then immediately put on the new one. There will be very little time for fuel to drain out of the fuel line due to capillary action (fuel will resist draining due to the surface tension of the liquid).

If you pull off the old filter and let the fuel line sit open for a few minutes (or longer), then the fuel will eventually drain back through and out the filter mount.

I also recall that the bleed valve should not be turned until it's tight once you've completed the process. It should be part way open as that allows excess fuel to drain back to the fuel tank. (I won't swear to this, but that's what I recall....)

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 09-15-2009

At last I understand this system. For the rest of us newbies, here's how it works. Heavy flexible fuel line to take up the motion of opening the gen slide, connected to hard tubing, going to the electric fuel pump, going to the fuel filter, and then to the bleed valve. At the bleed valve the fuel goes directly into the high pressure pump, but there is a small rubber line leaving the valve which goes to the injector return line that goes back to the tank. This is the one that Tom mentioned and is the one that was old, hard, and cracked on mine.

It was good to see there was a return line since early diesels (in boats anyway prior to about 1980 or so) did not have this, therefore requiring a several point bleed process when the system had air in it, and bled fuel all over. With the return line system, turning on the pump sends the air to the tank without going through the high pressure pump and injectors. I think I prefer that to filling the new filter as you run the risk of getting contamination into it on the clean side.

Pete, I have never heard of leaving a bleed valve part way open. If anyone knows more about this, please sing out. It would seem by leaving it open, you would be pumping a lot more fuel through the return system which might be good for cooling the incoming fuel, but I can't think of any other result. It would certainly put much more fuel through the filter.

Anyone?
Old 09-15-2009
davidmbrady

Hi Ron,

Leaving the bleed valve open 1/4 turn is standard practice on Powertech generators. I think it has more to do with lessening the strain on the Facet fuel pump than anything else.
Old 09-15-2009
cmillsap

Pete has it right, I don't know much about using the bleed valve but I would not replace the fuel filter without filling it first with fuel. Every service done by pros that I've every seen fills the new filter with fuel, removes the old filter and replaces with the fuel filled new filter.
Old 09-15-2009
Forum owner

Ron.
The only diesel engine that does not have a return line is a 98 and up powerstroke,as far as I know.
Most of those later powerstrokes had lots of fuel related problems.
The return line is a must,it helps keep the injectors cool and lets excess fuel return to the tank.
Some return lines have an orifice in them to control the flow of the returned fuel,all of the 2 stroke detroit engines have this orifice.
sometimes those orifices's get so worn out that the engine get down on power,the orifice also controls fuel pressure to the injectors.

Way back truckers have been known to pinch the return line off with vise grips to boost power (raising fuel pressure).Not a good thing to do,but sometimes with a steep grade or a headwind you will do anything to get a little more speed!

David is correct,leaving the valve open keeps the facet pump cooler.

I don't think screwing on a dry filter and depending on that valve to bleed off the air will work,it may,but i'm thinking not so much.
You may find out how to bleed the injectors if you try that!
Let us know what happens when you do,I love to be wrong!

I fill my filters with ATF,right out of a new bottle,clean and easy.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-15-2009
Grand Curmudgeon

Hate being a me tooer, but when I had my gennie serviced by Powertech (when they were still doing service at the factory), they also instructed me to leave the bleed screw about 1/4 turn open. Since so many of us are doing it and it works fine, even if it is an urban legend, it's like chicken soup, may not help, but can't hurt.

Paul LaZar
St. Augustine, FL
Former owner of Ziggy
97 wb43