Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 08-19-2010

I don't know if mine were out of round, but they pretty much looked the same. I had 980 Hrs on the generator at the time of change out. Now have almost 1200 hrs. I'm hoping that I never have to change them again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slipring.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	341.7 KB
ID:	6237  
Westchester Sandblast
Old 08-19-2010

Looks like around 1000 hours on original rings for at least two of these generators. I've put about 100 hours on this one in 2 years, so I'll probably never know if the new ones last longer. Now to do some sound proofing.
"The Aviary"
Old 06-21-2017

Default Slip ring replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokitty View Post
Good article on replacing the slip ring on a Kohler 12.5 KW.

http://www.ryanwright.com/wanderlodge/sliprings/
Ryan is there any way I might be able to print your article on slip ring replacement. I would rather have paper under the bus than an iPad or phone Thanks Steve Ricketts
2003 Jeep Rubicon
Old 06-21-2017

Default Slip rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEZER View Post
Ryan is there any way I might be able to print your article on slip ring replacement. I would rather have paper under the bus than an iPad or phone Thanks Steve Ricketts
Figured it out. Thanks
2003 Jeep Rubicon
Old 09-20-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvahall View Post
I was about to throw out the old slip rings today when I decided to try and figure out what caused the unusual wear. I rolled them back and forth on a sheet of glass and discovered that the two rings aren't perfectly aligned. The inside one is slightly off center towards the worn side. The jig they were using back in the '80s must have been off. The new ones were mounted in a different material so maybe they used a better setup. The old rings lasted 23 years but only 1090 hours. How many hours did you other guys have when you replaced your slip rings on the Yanmar/Kohler?
Replacing the slip rings and brushes on our 14.5 CCO after 1758 hours. I might have a tip on the dropping down of the housing after removing the 4 bolts. I will post that info IF it helps when I do mine in a few days. I unfortunately don't own a BMC but this site was the best resource for my Kohler that was bought used 13 years ago for $140 at a Govt. auction and came out of area 51.
Old 09-20-2017
Timberlake Products Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Bravo View Post
Replacing the slip rings and brushes on our 14.5 CCO after 1758 hours. I might have a tip on the dropping down of the housing after removing the 4 bolts. I will post that info IF it helps when I do mine in a few days. I unfortunately don't own a BMC but this site was the best resource for my Kohler that was bought used 13 years ago for $140 at a Govt. auction and came out of area 51.
What area 51, har! (According to uncle Sam)

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 09-20-2017

The short story; back then I was buying 3KW to 10KW military gas units and bringing them back to life. I'm combat disabled and need to keep busy, even at 70. My son bid on this one and it indeed came from area 51 as the transporter mentioned he was only allowed to pick up at a certain time and day, the driver joked that they needed to put the aliens away. The Yanmar was seized due to the running of the exhaust straight up through a sheds roof. No cap or goose neck so when they got the rare desert rain the one cylinder filled with water=hydro lock then rust. I pulled the head and cleaned the bore, rebuilt the head and other than a little extra smoke ran good up until a week ago. The Kohler ran 11 straight day's during the Sandy storm and never missed a beat. Hopefully thanks to this site the Kohler will outlast me.
Old 09-21-2017
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Bravo View Post
Wayne thanks for posting, we can use any new tips, and happy we can help you.
Old 09-24-2017

I figured instead of starting a new thread, just add to this one. As you can see the big difference between your 12.5KW and our 14.5 is an extra brush holder, that makes it a 4 brush generator. I guess the 14.5 needs more excitement in it's busy life.
I followed Ryans site and it didn't work out as per text book. My one tip wouldn't work, but with one of my scissor jacks and a piece of channel iron I supported the housing just fine. I started the tapping with my dead blow hammer and the end cap hardly moved. Moved up to my lead hammer, still no movement even with a good pre-soak of PB blaster. Reached for my brass hammer and realized the end cap moved on the Stator housing. I ended up by using a can of computer air held upside down to freeze and contract the bearing which was way tight in the end cap. It worked but not as you would suspect, the end cap came off with the bearing still installed. Not a problem as I can press the old bearing out easily. So my tip is different but may apply to a future reader, just wear a glove as liquid refrigerant will give you frost bite.
Also the end housing cap had an O-ring to hold the bearing outer race, not what was shown on Ryan's site?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0279.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	51172   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0281.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	51173   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0282.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	51174  

Last edited by 11Bravo; 09-24-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-25-2017
Gardner

On mine the bearing was held in place with a steel band as the frame is aluminum. The tech said they recommended using red locktite on it. My original failure was the band edging out and shorting the slip ring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gen-band.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	51182  
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey