Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 02-10-2010
Administrator

Hang in there Darryl-n-Dan , it is called a false start, Sometimes the Bird does the same,
Old 02-10-2010

I have photos, but I have downloaded them to our computer. My photo's are not stored online. Is there another way to post photo's?
Old 02-10-2010

Dan & Darryl, Scroll down to the bottom of the instructions John Finn posted conserning pictures. The last paragraphs are about posting pictures from your own computer.
"The Aviary"
Old 02-10-2010
Senior

Darryl dont waste your time posting pictures since looking at your pictures in this case will not help. Its an analysis of the electrical diagrams for the control box that you need. I would advise you to do the following.

1. Check the pictures for the control box in my previous 1982 FC35. I removed the control box and totally restored it and added sockets to it so I could quickly change the relays if it became necessary.
http://tinyurl.com/5gxxmj
2. Open up your control box by removing the two parts of the top cover. Inside the control box on the rear wall there should be noted the control box number and then you can download the exact set of drawings that pertain to your control box.

If you can start the generator from inside EITHER of the two start/stop switches (one over the drivers position and one in the dinette area) but cannot shut it down either from the two inside switches nor the one on the outside of the control box inside the generator tray then the problem is inside the control box. There are lots of things that can go wrong but it may be as simple as a loose screw on the terminal strip inside the control box and I would check that first. If that does not work then change the C relay next and if still unsuccessful then you need to troubleshoot if from there. I do not have a diagram of the control box here with me or I would help you but there are others on this forum more expert then I in this area who will help you I am sure. Good luck
6V92
Old 02-11-2010
Forum owner

Tom,D&D,
I remember Bruce having a problem like this.
It was either a loose wire on one of the inside switchs or a wire on an inside switch making contact with the metal framework around the switch.
And I think that John F had the same problem with the relays your talking about.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-11-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Tom,D&D,
I remember Bruce having a problem like this.
It was either a loose wire on one of the inside switchs or a wire on an inside switch making contact with the metal framework around the switch.
And I think that John F had the same problem with the relays your talking about.

The first time it was a bad relay and the last time just recently at Quartszite it was a loose connection on that same relay, I just reached in the control box and pushed all of the wire connectors back into the connectors and it worked OK after that.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-11-2010

Wow!!!
You must be a electrical wizzard. That controler looks great. I wish I could rebuild mine like that but I do not know enough about wiring to do that. I will look for the numbers in the control box and see what I can find. My controler looks like it went through some tough times. I have new relay's comeing in this week some time, so I will start with cleaning and checking for loose or broken wires also. I will look for the correct manual when I get the numbers off the box. I looked at the diagrams that John F, and others sent and there is one that looks like it.
By the way, What does Quote message in reply mean?

Thank's again
Old 02-11-2010

When replying to other's responses, and you go to "quick reply to this message", will the message go to the person in their response? Also thank you for letting me know how to post photo's.
Old 02-13-2010
Senior

Dan I sure wish I was a wizard and if I was would stop the snow in NY, bring spring on in the north so I could go home (and please anyone don,t tell my wife I ever said that). I forgot to ask you a very important question and assumed that you started the generator either from one of the two inside rocker switches or the switch on the control box. Please excuse me for that mistake. If you can start the engine from the inside or from the switch on the control box but cannot turn it off from either place then it is a problem from inside the control box as I said in my previous post but that does eliminate some things. The inside rocker switches to start and stop the engine (and activate the glow plugs) simply grounds a wire that goes to the control box. In the case of the start function it grounds a contact in the C relay and for the stop function grounds a contact in the CR relay. So I would check the CR relay and see if there is either a loose wire or if not change the relay out.

The control box is actually pretty simple electrically if you understand schematics and can trace and understand how a circuit works. Yours is 30 years old and I would guess has never been opened up and worked on. Mine was a mess and filthy when I opened it up. In the case of the control box for the Kohler generator with the Perkins engine the control box works fine and lasts a long time,
If the the 1980 control box on yours is like mine was, there are no sockets for the relays but instead bluebird crimped terminals on the wires and then slid them on the appropriate terminals on the relays. If you ever think about rebuilding yours make sure you install sockets for the relays so they can be easily changed.

As John said download the manuals for your generator. Also download the owners manual and the parts manual for your coach. The manual for the Kohler generator which you have in your coach is excellent and there is a section that describes exactly how the control box works during the start and stop functions.

Good luck and hope this helps you. Restoring the control box for the kohler generator might be a good project for a Bluebird rally. Another good one is checking out all of the wiring for the upper and lower dashes in our 80,s coaches and replacing defective gauges.
6V92
Old 12-20-2010

Why does my control box look so different from yours? This thing is huge and looks extremely complex. It's a Perkins/Kohler 12.5 kw also... The three relays are the same I think. And you will notice: no sockets. The vertical posts are some type of resistor. Oh and it's not as dirty as it looks in the picture...

The main AC wiring going through the hole is a concern I am working on. I've been unable to find the bulkhead fitting so if anyone knows where to get one let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Generator Control Box(1).jpg
Views:	399
Size:	471.3 KB
ID:	7773  
Grey Forest, TX