Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 12-21-2011
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmike View Post
John, very clean job on the air filter. Those K&N filters have to be cleaned and re-oiled every so often...will you have to cut the zip ties and undo everything to do that?
Yep, but after the first time I'll replace the zip ties with large duct work hose clamps, I just didn't have enough on hand when I did this the first time. The wrapped insulation around the can reduces some more of the noise in the filter.

I like to use what I have here in the shop to build things, then if I need to, go to the parts store for things I don't have on hand, I have a lot of long zip ties on hand

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-20-2012

I went to Powertech in Leesburg, Florida this morning for my appointment to have my mysterious noise check out and some other service items taken care of. Mickey the technician listened for the sound but couldn't hear it, but assured me that if it was one of the bearings in the generator that it would be a very distinct sound which we didn't hear so that was a relief but still left me wondering exactly what I had been hearing.

I decided rather than to wait for the original voltage regulator to go out while I was on a trip, that I would have him change it out for the newer style, once he got the cover off of the Voltage Regulator / Circuit breaker box we found where the noise most likely had been coming from, the box had one of its corners split open top to bottom and that would make the noise, so a new box, voltage regulator and circuit breaker were installed.

Next he installed a new water pump belt and the water pump pulley which was wearing in an odd way, also the idler pulley was replaced. I also picked up new Water Temperature and Oil Pressure gauges, that will replace the original ones in the dash that worked with the old Perkins sending units.

I was extremely satisfied with the work and the parts and labor costs were very reasonable and I was back on the road by lunch time.

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-05-2014

Today I tried to open the generator slide and it would not extend, I looked in the Database for a wiring diagram so that I could trace the wiring but I couldn't find any or I may not know where to look, remember that this was probably changed somewhat when we did the transplant from Randy's burned 95WB that was the donor for the Powertech and the electric actuator for the generator drawer.

The power wire going to the resettable fuse/circuit breaker did not have any 12 volt power going to it, so I ran a new wire to the drawer switch from the circuit breaker inside the grey box where the drawer switch and the Start Stop switch are located this solved the issue and now the drawer operates as it should.

I taped up the old 12 volt power wire and safely placed it off to the side. I would like to find a wiring diagram for the drawer actuator so that I can find out why the original power wire lost it's 12 volts source.

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 01-09-2017

I have been experiencing occasional low voltage on my Kubota / Powertech generator and today here at the Mayonnaise Farm with the help of Paul Moushon after he tested different items we decided to change the voltage regulator that confirmed it was the problem with only 75 volts on each leg, I had purchased for a considerable savings this one that was earlier found on eBay by another WOG member http://www.ebay.com/itm/181475698755...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT after Paul switched one wire from 50hz to 60hz and adjusted the voltage the generator is now putting out the proper voltage.

Paul had to reach back inside the generator compartment but it was not as bad as some of the locations on other Powertech generators as the box containing the voltage regulator (red arrow in picture) on my Powertech had been relocated when this transplant was originally done.

I also ordered another voltage regulator from the eBay dealer to have on hand if ever needed again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VOLTAGE REGULATOR LOCATION.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	46790  

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 01-10-2017

Thanks, John, I just ordered one.
www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=168
Old 01-11-2017
Gardner

Oh yea, I keep a spare as well. But I have no idea how I will get to it to replace it. I can't even get to it to adjust it It is a Marathon head on the Yanmar. The reg is in a box on top of the head waaaayyyy back. One of these days I will get it up on ramps, open the draw and crawl under to see if I can sit/kneel and access it.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey