Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 09-06-2010
Gardner

So now I have 4 sheets of Stephens sound absorbing material (about $240 worth, and it was $90 to ship it) and it it is suggested it is the wrong stuff for the genie compartment, but it is great for the dog house. After doing the dog house the heat radiated heat is much less and the sound is much less as well.

The material would take up too much room or I would bring it to RATS to sell it. Anyone near NJ that wants to buy some?

No time to get different stuff before we take off (provided the gennie is done this week). so I guess it is loud city till next year.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 09-06-2010

Gardner just a thought...
What if you say for example doubled up with a barrier inbetween?
Those 1/4 inch rods will hold it n/p.
Old 09-06-2010

Just to add... if you have some of the old insulation, you could always put a layer of that inbetween.... that should keep it quiet
Old 09-06-2010
Gardner

I can at least put it on the door and around the door area to help kill the sound from the front. The rest of the noise will be reflected out the back..
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 09-06-2010

Ok what may be better if you can, would be to do the roof and sides... you can always pull the door later... it will be much easier that way I would think,... the Gen set is out.
Old 09-06-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbrady View Post
Gardner,

With all due respect, I'd reconsider. Others have tried Stephen's material in the genny compartment and have ended up with a noisier genny. It isn't nearly as good at attenuating sound waves as the material that John used. It will reflect rather than absorb. It's all about creating destructive interference.

Sorry David,

I'll have to beg to disagree with you on that one, at least on mine it made a big difference when I added the insulation that I got from Stephen to the old Perkins /Marathon, then later when we changed the fan and radiator to a lay-down style and new style fan like in the newer 'Birds and made a solid new door for it that took away more noise and finally when I partially closed in the back side of the generator compartment and I added the Auralex it got even quieter.

Now I'm not going to say that it is as quiet as the newer QUIET BOX style generators but for an older FC it does pretty good, we have compared it many times with other FC's and it does a pretty good job, so I wouldn't necessarily throw stones at the insulation that Stephen sells and I also used to to insulate my doghouse for the CAT and I'm satisfied with that too.

The newer style Sonex insulation would probably be better, but there is a BIG difference in price if you have to buy it new in comparison, at least there was when I insulated mine.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 09-06-2010
davidmbrady

John,

I'm not throwing stones; I'm assisting a fellow Wanderlodge owner. Stephen's insulation, made by Polymer Technologies and distributed in the States by Oshex, is a fine product. But renewing the sound absorbing material in the genny compartment is a bunch of work, and to do it right requires the removal of the genny. It'd be a shame to go thru all that work only to be disappointed with the results. Sure, the shiny stuff is better than nothing, but for the small amount of material required and the huge amount of labor needed, there are more effective materials. My mistake for referring to the material as Stephen's insulation; I should have said Polymer Technologies.
Old 09-06-2010
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

I'm with David on this. The real cost of this project is the labor. I consulted with Soundown to do our dog house. Followed their recommendations and used lead/fiberglass with adhesive and mechanical fasteners and the results are terrific. Yes, their recommended material cost a bit more but, again, this is a one shot deal and the labor is the big thing.

I plan on doing the gen compartment at some point and will work with them on this too. No charge for their consult. Gary Kissel (Soundown Rep) suggested some kind of a baffle in the front wall to quiet outside. Not sure I will go this far, but he has provide preliminary drawing and material layout. The inside material will include a vibration damping material and their lead sandwich (probably the foam one).

Another member of this Forum completed his gen compartment using their stuff with outstanding results. Perhaps he will share his experience here too.

http://soundown.com/SuggestionsGenerator.htm

http://soundown.com/SuggestionsMotorCoaches.htm

NH Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898

Last edited by NH Bill; 09-06-2010 at 06:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-06-2010

Gardner: if you want to sell your left over INS sheets I am going to do the dog house sometime soon. PM or donelec@sti.net I am still working on the engine and radiator, with lots of little things that come up!
2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler X
See my Album!
Old 09-06-2010
Gardner

The gennie will be going back in this week, no time to make changes in the plan. I will stick the stuff to the walls and ceiling, use fasteners to prevent it from moving, and call it a day until the next time the gennie is out. After doing the disconect once, it will be a piece of cake next time. Just need a fork lift

It won't take all of the material I have, so once done I will sell the remaining stuff. It is heavy and the shipping is pretty pricey.
Ridgewood, New Jersey