Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 11-07-2010

Question 1981FC repower motor and trans

Looking for input before I do a major motor change. I have a 3208NA and have an opportunity to purchase a dump truck with a rebuilt 3208T 250HP. Hopefully I will have the power I want but may have to change the rear gear etc to get the speeds up. I have the allison mt 643 trans at present and it is in good shape. I am looking for opinions as to whether to upgrade the trans to a ZF 5 hp500 while I have the drive train out. Pro's are overdrive, extra gear, and retarder. Con's are the zf is a electronic unit, the allison is relatively simple. I am assuming that I would have to change the shifter and find a ecm for it, then wire it in. Not that I am afraid of work, but is this just too much to invest in my coach? Any ideas as to the complexity of the change would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rodney, Ontario
Old 11-07-2010
Administrator

The ECM, wiring harness, shift pad, retarder lever etc. may be difficult to find. Will also need air, electrical hookup (probably not an issue), but will require sufficient cooling for the retarder, which generates a lot of heat.
Doghouse will need extended. Just some thoughts. There is probably more....???

Bill (not a drive train upgrade expert)
Old 11-07-2010

ZF in Lincolnshire IL has a fresh/remanufactured HP500 on eBay for a grand. I have a rebuilder unit, complete with all wiring, nut, bolts, flywheel, heat exchanger, computer and throttle position switch. Your plan is good and you won't need to change from the 5.2 rear gear you now have. Rebuilder is from Woodies SP, it's in heated storage on a pallet ready to ship. You have a good plan and the parts are available to make it happen, timing is right.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 11-07-2010

Default ZF trans

Mike:

I was looking at the unit on ebay, that is what started my thinking about changing the trans as well. After a trip out west last year and putting 7000 miles on the bird, I would like to install and exhaust retarder as well as have the extra power. Send me a private email with your rebuilder with some pics and a price. Do you know if the physical size is different causing mounting issues and driveshaft changes? I also assume the shfter is going to be a issue to change from the one I have now.

Thanks
Rodney, Ontario
Old 11-07-2010
ANOTHER REDNECK

RICHARD ok are you ready???????? here goes nothing

MIKE H has everything you need except the retarder lever which is still in my coach which i can take out

the shifter is electronic switch which you can mount anywhere you want------the retarders is built in which is much much better than any exhaust brake on a CAT

the retarder is cooled by a 2.5 hose which splits off the lower and upper hose of the rad so when you need to cool it off just kick the elec fan on no worries

the retarder is actuated and regulated by air pressure going into 2 valves on the transmission and the trans requires 1 hot 12vt to run the puter box.....

Mike H will price it right but you will have to bolt on kick down and run some wires for sure..i cut the wires with plugs still in the puter and shifter and should be easy enuf to make it work........let us know if you are a player

i know if i had found the transmissions for a grand then 1 would still be in my bus with a 350 cummins in ft of it.....
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 11-07-2010

Default ZF trans

Woody:

The trans on ebay is a Ecomat 5 hp500. Is that compatable with the wiring harness etc that you have? I am good at changing mechanical things and with a diagram electrical is no problem, but worried about changing from one type to another that could cause issues. Just want to make sure before I purchase. I would also have to have everything shipped to Canada or make a road trip. Did I read on another thread that you did buy a trans from these guys or were you just looking?

Thanks again for all of the input.
Rodney, Ontario
Old 11-07-2010
prone to wandering

Richard, I just bought a ZF from them as a spare for my SP and shipped it in to Ontario. PM me if you want some help getting it shipped to Ontario.
jimdoel@me.com
Old 11-08-2010
ANOTHER REDNECK

yes i bought 2 for some members here

its the same trans as i have at mikes place.
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571