Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 11-26-2010

Default Which Cellular Internet Connection Works For You?

Newegg sale for Thanksgiving

$110 and free shipping is a very good deal. I have this same router but paid a whole bunch more than this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...d%5f%2dProduct
Old 11-26-2010
prone to wandering

that's a smokin deal!
jimdoel@me.com
Old 11-26-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Here is a previous post of mine on another thread back in July Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General > Kinda disappointed with cradlepoint ctr350 routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
I received the Cradlepoint MBR 1000 router this afternoon and got it set up quickly, the signal is at full strength here in the 'Bird on my laptop and of coarse the Ethernet cable hookup for the PC in the office is working great too. I will give it a good test first before I give an opinion about it.
I'm more than satisfied with this model, while I have it secured the signal strength goes way beyond my property, the only issue I have had with it and I'm not sure if it is the Cradlepoint or my Verizon Aircard modem is I have to reboot the system if I leave the cradlepoint turned on all of the time, so I just try to remember to turn it off when I'm not actually using it.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 11-26-2010
prone to wandering

I leave my air card in the Cradlepoint and turned on 24/7. I have not had the service drop or had to reboot yet. I am using a Bell air card up here in the frozen north though.
jimdoel@me.com
Old 11-26-2010

So? I have a pay as you go verizon air card. I could plug this card into the router and then any computer within reach could be used to get on line. Is that the way this would work?

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 11-26-2010
prone to wandering

yes, but only people that you give the wep key (security password) to, unless you chose to leave the system unlocked, but they don't recommend that. I would add that it is suggested that you have your Verizon air card changed to unlimited data though. Also keep in mind that you could use this router/air card combination with unlimited data in place of your high speed at home and then move it to the Bird when you take a trip. That is what we do and it saves us a high speed internet fee each month.
jimdoel@me.com
Old 11-26-2010

I have firmware version 1.6.9 on the cradlepoint, and have run a Verizon USB 727, and now a Millenicom (verizon service) USB 760 with no reboot issues. John - what firmware version are you running? If older than 1.6.9 try a firmware update.

Yes, plug almost any USB air card in the router, then share it via wifi from router. Best to set up password protection though. My verizon limit was 5 gig data a month, Millenicom is 10 gig a month for the same $60.

Search "Millenicom" on here or google it if interested in 10 gig a month instead of 5 gig -still using Verizon as actual end provider. Have to buy a Millenicom card though - can't use the verizon card if you already have one.

I have cell antenna on roof, into cyfre hardwired amp, into aircard ant port. Then aircard in router. Router builds a wireless net inside the coach for us with 2 laptops plus wireless printer, all for $60 month with 10 gig limit.
Old 11-27-2010
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD33 View Post
yes, but only people that you give the wep key (security password) to, unless you chose to leave the system unlocked, but they don't recommend that. I would add that it is suggested that you have your Verizon air card changed to unlimited data though. Also keep in mind that you could use this router/air card combination with unlimited data in place of your high speed at home and then move it to the Bird when you take a trip. That is what we do and it saves us a high speed internet fee each month.
Hmm. Where are you seeing the availability of unlimited on a Verizon Air Card?

I have a standard 5GB account, and I'm aware of third-parties like Millenicom that offer 10GB Verizon accounts, but have not seen unlimited Verizon Air Card accounts.

I do have unlimited with my Droid X, and I use that as another connection hard-tethered to my computer.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 11-27-2010
prone to wandering

Hi Don, I only assumed that Verizon had unlimited since Bell in Canada has it, my bad
jimdoel@me.com
Old 11-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
Hmm. Where are you seeing the availability of unlimited on a Verizon Air Card?
I have a standard 5GB account, and I'm aware of third-parties like Millenicom that offer 10GB Verizon accounts, but have not seen unlimited Verizon Air Card accounts.

I do have unlimited with my Droid X, and I use that as another connection hard-tethered to my computer.
Don I have an unlimited aircard. I've had it for several years now and the last time I was in the Verizon store store they tried to sell me a new plan for 5GB and I asked them why would I want to do that? I told them I have unlimited now and they checked my account and said OH! They may not have that plan anymore and even the sales people didn't know that it existed. Of course they were young and may not have worked there that long either.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN