Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > First-Timers and Newcomers

First-Timers and Newcomers Are you a first-timer, newcomer, or even a "wannabe"? This is the place to get your questions anwered.

Site Search:

Old 12-26-2010

Question Have a few questions......

Hi Folks:
Well, It is 55 days till I pick up my 'bird and about 2 months after that when I call it quits and come home. Going to feel REAL NICE!!!
Anyway, I have a couple of questions for the group...and hope they don't sound too dumb, but as I always said to my students at the Military Police School..."The only dumb questions is one that you don't ask", so here goes.
#1 After you get rid of the house (in our case rental house) and you go fulltiming..where in the heck do you go??? I know we have the whole United States to go TOO..but where do you start? A local RV park to get your legs used to living in a "bus" (sorry 'ol girl, didn't mean to insult you so early).
#2 As a fulltimer, with no home base (pad, house, etc) where do you do your routine maintenance???? I know a lot of parks won't let you change oil,etc...so I am wondering, where do I work on her???
Want to do the swing out radiator mod..plus a lot of others as $$$ and time come around, so I thought this was an appropriate question.
Thanks in advance gang....please don't get annoyed with me, this is a WHOLE new lifestyle for me and the Mrs.....and we are looking forward to it. Nice to have a family of fellow Wanderlodgers to count on for answers.
Dennie & Tami (T-55 days and counting to "Our Sacrifice" pickup).
Republic of Texas
Amateur Radio (KC4QNW) - General Class
"When you change yourself, others will change"
Old 12-26-2010

Default Baby Steps, easing into it...

Padre I think you almost reached your answer with #1. By the time you get her home and the first few nights in several rv parks you'll start formulating "The Plan". Everyones different. The only plan, if it were me, is I would be keeping the current abode around a little longer and try making several trips, slowly venturing out before you cut the umbilical cord to your bricks & sticks previous life. 3-4 at minimum. Every trip even if it's just out 100 miles, a couple of days in a rv park, a night boon docking at Walmart, etc... will teach you invaluable things about what works and what needs work. That way if you need to make fixes, alterations, or other things (which you WILL) you have a familiar place to do it at. Where to visit what to see will change every time you meet new people and hear their stories. Human Nature.

I've now made about 6 trips with my Mom to various places this year since helping her and Dad pick up the Safari in Arizona in Feb. 2 of those were to our familys' friendly fix it guy in Hondo for stuff I don't have the ability to do alone. We are JUST getting her coach to where it needs to be and there really wasn't much wrong at all other than a inop cruise control when we picked it up. My punch list is down to less than 10 or so items, unfortunately the cruise is still on it because the fix out in Az didn't stick... Best thing I can say is go rv'ing with someone that has experience and see what they do and how they go about hookup and daily regular use to learn a few of the basic the ins & outs before soloing. Once your solo, with no home base, these lessons can get REALLY inconvenient and expensive.

Sorry if thats a little preachy. This's my plan when my time comes 10 to 25 yrs from now.....

Ken - Austin, Texas -
'94 34' Safari Serengeti sold - Mom remarried @71 and they upgraded to a newer Coach w/Slides

(HDT Coach or BMC & Stacker for me in the future.)
Old 12-26-2010
95 WB 42

Padre

Not to worry you are ahead of the curve by seeking answers to ????? .
The coach rides on a heavy duty chassis that can be worked on by almost any big rig facility. Most RV repair places will be able to assist with other "stuff" It's good to have a friend with a "PIT" --you do-- down in Middle Ga come on down the hole is here,inside so weather is not a problem.
Also there is a list of Good Bad and Ugly experences with RV shops listed on this forum.
Hurry "HOME" and start enjoying LIFE as you have earned "IT"
Be safe our Blue Bird Friend,looking foward to meeting.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 12-26-2010

Though many parks prohibit maintenance work, many don't care. We spent a lot of time in the Keys were they had a used oil and filter station because so many people had power boats. I changed a air compressor there, put in new floors and so on, a real model vacationer. Escapees, FMCA and others offer mail forwarding and even home base sort of arrangements. Were to go? Anywhere and everywhere.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 12-26-2010

Bring tools and volt meter. Good Luck
Old 12-26-2010

Thanks for the good advice and please, keep the ideas coming.
I guess the things I am mostly worried about are things like oil/belt changes, bearing packing, etc. I am pretty good with tools (never leave home without my fluke multimeter-electronics technician) and think I can find my way around the normal stuff. I have a downloaded copy of the 1977 FC manual on my computer and my Kindle, and read it every night at work, cover to cover. So I am getting familiarized with the workings of the systems. Should have it memorized by the time I land in San Antonio. Also have my Texas CDL manual, so I can get my non-CDL license when I am home.
One other thing I was wondering about (couldn't sleep when I got home today..we were mortared/rocketed 3 times yesterday...Merry Christmas), is...with the FC...how do you keep the family area clean, with having to add oil, etc right in the area of the carpet, etc. Seems like this klutz will be in trouble.
Thanks again folks, keep the ideas coming. Gives me something to think about on Vampire Shift.
Dennie
Republic of Texas
Amateur Radio (KC4QNW) - General Class
"When you change yourself, others will change"

Last edited by EagleOne; 12-26-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-26-2010

It's not so tough. Oil checks are easy and for changes I usually bring the box of gallons in with me so I have a cardboard spot to work from, bring a funnel.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 12-26-2010

Dennie,

I typed a long response, but the computer ate it when the internet connection failed, so here is a shorter response.

I recommend you look into Escapees, and their mail forward service in Livingston TX. You could use that for a in state trip to go check them out. Also check their forums for destination ideas at: http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php and see: http://www.rvparkreviews.com/ for individual campgrounds.

Don't forget your benefit of military auto hobby shops, where you can do some heavier work with access to tools and fluid disposal.

Do some shorter trips first to shake down any problems and know what you want to upgrade or replace. Where is home in TX? Rockport TX is nice in early spring, Drifters RV Resort is a good campground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleOne View Post
Thanks for the good advice and please, keep the ideas coming.
I guess the things I am mostly worried about are things like oil/belt changes, bearing packing, etc. I am pretty good with tools (never leave home without my fluke multimeter-electronics technician) and think I can find my way around the normal stuff. I have a downloaded copy of the 1967 FC manual on my computer and my Kindle, and read it every night at work, cover to cover. So I am getting familiarized with the workings of the systems. Should have it memorized by the time I land in San Antonio. Also have my Texas CDL manual, so I can get my non-CDL license when I am home.
One other thing I was wondering about (couldn't sleep when I got home today..we were mortared/rocketed 3 times yesterday...Merry Christmas), is...with the FC...how do you keep the family area clean, with having to add oil, etc right in the area of the carpet, etc. Seems like this klutz will be in trouble.
Thanks again folks, keep the ideas coming. Gives me something to think about on Vampire Shift.
Dennie
Old 12-26-2010

I'll be home Feb 1. Feel free to stop by and if you want to do your radiator mods at my place, we have all kinds of tools and a great parts house close by. I'll be working on a couple coaches, but we have great friends in the area that are knowledgeable too.
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 12-26-2010

I'll echo Dan. We researched full timing 5 years before we did it--we just started our 4th year. Join the Escapees now and you will get their magazine. You can get on all the message boards without being a member.

Sign up for the the mail forwarding ASAP, since it takes awhile to get all your mail coming to the forwarding service. (I'm assuming you want to remain a TX resident). There are a number of books written by full timers. Google full timing.

Places to stay. There's an Escapee park near San Antonio, and north in Livingston, TX. Army Corps of Engineer campgrounds are great, mostly on Lakes. Many commercial places in south Texas. State parks, but check the length of the site.

Keep your questions coming. You have all our best wishes--the RV life style is great!
www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=168