Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 12-08-2011

Default Re-visit

I just sat through an 8 hour (Capts.) meeting for our Alaska trawling fleet. 3 hours were taken up by a fuel engineer guy, talking about the many different problems that are popping up.
We have had so much trouble with the newer ULSD Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel on the boats.
Without whacking a bees nest. Has anyone here had engine trouble that the mechanic attributed to ULSD? If not I will let it rest. ...I hope it is the case.
Perhaps there is one model engine that is effected more than another.
We have had major filter problems, we have installed a fuel polisher, after the centrifuge filter,and the multiple racors. The stuff looks like black honey
Hard to believe, but the new diesel can blow up while fueling...it will act like a capacitor in your tank now. The slightest static charge will light it off. We will be carrying a meter now. It happens when you fuel up. At last count 185 fuel trucks have blown up. I know it sounds crazy. I have always thought of diesel as non flammable. I just listened to this, I will see what I can find on the web. This guy was a life time fuel engineer.
Seals drying out due to the fuel being less lubricious. Bugs are more likely to grow in this new fuel.
The word for us is do not store ULSD diesel over 90 days without some serious additives.
I will try to look into this more and find the print to back it up.
http://a.co/jj5lIUw
Old 12-08-2011

Fuel trucks, tanks, and delivery systems should be grounded/bonded to protect against static discharge before they ever start pumping. It's required by OSHA. However, I suspect a lot of operators get lazy with their grounding straps when it comes to pumping diesel because it isn't as volatile as gas.
Old 12-08-2011

I went to the gas station were I normally take the blue bird pulled up to the same pump in my dodge truck and started pumping diesel in it.My truck is a gasser. stoped the pump after 1 gallon kicked myself then topped it off with gas. That should lube things
Sumner Wa.