Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 09-26-2011
mrkane mrkane is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 195
Default

Quote:
Are my readings normal?
Your vacuum observations are similar to those on my previous 6V ('85 PT) and my current 8V ('87 PT), including residual vacuum when the engine is off. The choice of filters will affect the readings. At about 1950 rpm, my 8V runs 5-7 inHG (near the yellow) even with new filters. Plugged filters definitely give a high vacuum reading in the red, as well as an obvious drop in power.

M.R.Kane
1987 PT40 "Sleipnir"
currently near Pine Creek, MT
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-26-2011
DW SD DW SD is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Encinitas
Posts: 943
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkane View Post
Your vacuum observations are similar to those on my previous 6V ('85 PT) and my current 8V ('87 PT), including residual vacuum when the engine is off. The choice of filters will affect the readings. At about 1950 rpm, my 8V runs 5-7 inHG (near the yellow) even with new filters. Plugged filters definitely give a high vacuum reading in the red, as well as an obvious drop in power.

M.R.Kane
1987 PT40 "Sleipnir"
currently near Pine Creek, MT
M.R. - good info - thank you.

Presently, I run the Racor separator and cartridge, then primary Baldwin BF5800 (30 micron) and secondary Baldwin BF5810 (10 micron) filters.

Doug
__________________
Doug W.
Encinitas CA
'83 PT - 36
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-08-2012
Itchintogo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Doug,

How many Microns is your Racor filter? I have about the same readings as what your getting. Lately I see the Racor rising a bit higher so I will change it soon. The engine filters are pretty fresh. I have never had a Racor so this will be new territory for me.

I know some that run a 2 micron in the Racor. I know I would like my secondary engine (final) filter to be around the 2 micron mark to keep those injectors protected. I filter down to 2 Microns on my Duramax.

Thoughts anyone? What does Mr. Fedeli run?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-08-2012
mynavion mynavion is offline
Can't re-member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Stockbridge
Posts: 2,389
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchintogo View Post
Doug,

How many Microns is your Racor filter? I have about the same readings as what your getting. Lately I see the Racor rising a bit higher so I will change it soon. The engine filters are pretty fresh. I have never had a Racor so this will be new territory for me.

I know some that run a 2 micron in the Racor. I know I would like my secondary engine (final) filter to be around the 2 micron mark to keep those injectors protected. I filter down to 2 Microns on my Duramax.

Thoughts anyone? What does Mr. Fedeli run?
At least with FC's, most I know run 10 or 20 in the Racor. Originally BB stated 10, later Racor said 20 since most run 2 on the secondary.
__________________

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion"
Stockbridge, GA
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-08-2012
sfedeli's Avatar
sfedeli sfedeli is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hershey
Posts: 2,952
Default

I thought it was "normal" to have residual vacuum until I replaced the gauge. Now it reads "0" when I shut down. There is no physical way for the Racor on a PT model to have residual vacuum unless you have a blockage in the fuel line- even then, it will eventually pull enough fuel into the line to zero the gauge. Try replacing your old gauge with any dash-mount bezel style vacuum gauge that has 1/8" pipe fittings on the back. It should mate up readily with the small copper line coming from the back of the coach to the dash area.
__________________
Shane Fedeli
85PT40
Hershey, PA

“Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-09-2012
DW SD DW SD is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Encinitas
Posts: 943
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedeli View Post
I thought it was "normal" to have residual vacuum until I replaced the gauge. Now it reads "0" when I shut down. There is no physical way for the Racor on a PT model to have residual vacuum unless you have a blockage in the fuel line- even then, it will eventually pull enough fuel into the line to zero the gauge. Try replacing your old gauge with any dash-mount bezel style vacuum gauge that has 1/8" pipe fittings on the back. It should mate up readily with the small copper line coming from the back of the coach to the dash area.
What I find odd about the behavior of mine is that I removed the gauge, disconnected the line to it and the residual vacuum went to zero on the gauge. Is that the way yours responded Shane?

I'd have to check my coach to see the filters. I believe I'm following the herd on my two filters.

Doug
__________________
Doug W.
Encinitas CA
'83 PT - 36
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-09-2012
sfedeli's Avatar
sfedeli sfedeli is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hershey
Posts: 2,952
Default

That's strange indeed! Both of mine (I have another one in T-handle of the Racor in the engine compartment) drop to Zero when the coach is off. Since the gauge is "zeroed" with a small spring mechanism, I always assumed that the spring lost some tension and was parked at the elevated level.

You could try blowing out the 1/8" copper line by disconnecting it at both ends and applying some compressed air to the tubing end at the dash. It should expel any diesel and other contaminants out back at the t connection near the racor. Their could be a viscous accumulation of diesel, water and sludge in the line somewhere.
__________________
Shane Fedeli
85PT40
Hershey, PA

“Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weird Alternator/Engine Gauge (or Overheating) Problem rselin Electrical 46 03-02-2012 11:15 AM
Engine Oil Pressure Gauge johnorud General 14 01-12-2011 01:39 PM
calibrating engine temp gauge DW SD Engine 12 11-10-2010 12:08 AM
engine water temp gauge, 2000 LXI luckyron General 12 04-24-2009 05:52 PM
Temperature gauge- engine problems? Lee Davis Engine 20 10-08-2008 02:58 AM

Web Search:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.