Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 08-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtoles View Post
Tom, unfortunately one of the mounts is completely shot. Do you think that if you cut the bottom and the top part it would come any easier? Or would it be best to pry it out? How long do you think it would take to get them out? Was considering taking it to a shop but was afraid it would take so long the job would get to expensive paying a diesel mechanic hourly wage.
The way a job labor is calculated on vehicles is there are times published that it takes to do a job. Say you want the motor mounts done. I look it up it says 6 hours. you get charged 6 hours @ my hourly rate. If it takes me 15 minutes I still charge 6 hours, but then again if it takes 2 days I still charge 6 hours.

Randy is no slouch when it comes to fixin on these birds, so if it took him 2 days, I would call a mechanic!!!
Old 08-09-2014

Randy, I understand that removing the mount from the frame would be hard to do without a pit do you think that removing the bolts and lifting the engine with a big bottle jack would be some thing that could be done from creepers? Would you be able to get sazall on the top side and the bottom of the rubber mount to cut it off then, then allowing the rest to be pushed out? I'm sure it can be done many ways I just want to figure the best plan of action before jumping in head first.
Old 08-10-2014

I think you would only remove the section attached to the engine. Getting a sawsall in there would be tight. Passenger side may have a little more room. If your lucky they will come out easier than mine because mine were still good. They were very tight going in , used lots of soap and a hammer to drive them in. They kept wanting to pop back up till the soap dried. It can be done from a creeper but I think it will be very frustrating . A helper would be good.

Tom Schott
Ventura Ca.
1980 FC 35 SB