Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 08-22-2009
Grand Curmudgeon

Somehow, this post seems to have been lost...so here it is again.

I mentioned early on in this thread about a dangerous possible condition found on my coach and I assume, maybe yours as well.

When they started removing "stuff" to get the radiator/CAC stack out, Jeff discovered the shrouding nearest the CAC was more than near and actually touching. Touching and vibrating enough to have worn a deep groove into the CAC which was soon to be through and fail. A total failure like this can leave you stranded.

I've attached pix of this (after Jeff trimmed the shroud) as well as pix of the radiator and stack removed etc.

It is easy enough for you to check your own without dismantling things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0811_resize.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	737.6 KB
ID:	2670   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0813_resize.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	561.3 KB
ID:	2671   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0815_resize.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	533.3 KB
ID:	2672   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0816_resize.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	469.8 KB
ID:	2673   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0817_resize.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	572.5 KB
ID:	2674   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0818_resize.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	546.4 KB
ID:	2675   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0822_resize.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	576.1 KB
ID:	2676  

Paul LaZar
St. Augustine, FL
Former owner of Ziggy
97 wb43
Old 08-22-2009
davidmbrady

Paul,

Thanks for the pics, you got a great project going on there and should end up with a great product. I hate to say it, but my CAC is different. Mine has cast tanks. It should be interesting to see what Superior Stamping sends to you. Maybe they moved to cast tanks instead of welded up tanks.
Old 08-23-2009

Pete, thank you for sending the filter information and the information on the flash codes. I had no idea my '95 had that capability. Now I don't need the Silverleaf software. You saved me $400. I think I read all that when I bought the coach, but it went right on through. It's when I need it that it makes an impression.

I do have a poor copy of the Owner's Guide, but it is good enough, so thanks for the offer to find one. If anyone has it on computer, let me know. I'll check the archives; it must surely be there.

Some of the other new owners will appreciate all this information also. Thanks again. It is because of this kind of mutual help that makes owning a Blue Bird an unique experience, undoubtedly unmatched in any other owner's group. Someone used the word "enthusiasts". A well chosen word.
Old 08-24-2009
pgchd

Paul,
I am very sorry to hear of your misfortune with Ziggy, I think the good news is he is in a place that he will be well cared for and readied for at least another 100k!!!!!!! Thank you so much for the pictures and "warning / heads up" about the rubbing issue with the CAC on the 97..... I am on the road and went out to take a quick peak at my 95....as usual and as both of us always say.....no two beasts alike!!!!!! on my 95, that entire piece of "red metal", in your picture, is not there....both the CAC and Radiator are built into a bracing system and mounted slightly back more toward the engine...forming a "box" with that black horizontal frame strut in your picture behind the entire piece of red sheet metal.......the CAC is not encumbered in any way on each side.....mounts to the radiator and some framing, then forms a "box" around the sides........... with plenty of air space....not sure if this has to do with your engine being mounted lower than mine in the frame or not....or how / who built the unit on the line that particular day /year.......However your warning is very good for all of us to take a look....it only takes 3 minutes......thanks again for the heads up!!!!! I hope Ziggy is on the road soon!!!!! take care!
Old 08-24-2009
Former Bird Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbrady View Post
Pete,

Did the service facility do a leak down test on your CAC? I'd be interested to know what leak down parameters they considered acceptable.
I don't believe they did. It was given a visual inspection and no issues were noted. (I looked at it myself and it had no obvious flaws.) I suppose it could have had a hairline crack, or other non-obvious issue, but there were no symptoms suggesting that to be the case.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 08-24-2009
Former Bird Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdwg View Post
The '99 filter listing lists the genny filters slightly differently, which may or may not be correct. It lists the oil as a NAPA #1068, while the fuel filter is the same and the air filter is PROBABLY the same, as it lists the same number the 95 filter list has but indicates that's an old number and gives a new number. Also, the '95 genny oil filter lists it as a PH6010A, which is a common motorcycle filter and can usually be found at MalWart-- IF that's a correct cross/filter.

Thanks for the lists!!!
I"m leery of the genny oil filter -- I originally ordered a filter based on the number from the PowerTech manual -- and it was much larger -- but it also didn't fit.

I then got a replacement based on the filter I removed -- it was the motorcycle filter. I spend some time looking at Kubota/John Deer web sites and found yet another very different filter suggested for the same diesel engine -- and it was much larger. So, I suggest using the 99 filter list for the generator oil, if it fits.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com