Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 12-26-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburmandds View Post
I got about 25 gallons out the last time I drained my 94. The trick I think is to use compressed air carefully.
What I did on mine that worked well was to disconnect the 1" chassis heater lines (I replaced the 'boiler' valves with ball valves at the same time). Then I used a small shop vac with the hose switched to the outlet so it would 'blow' rather than 'suck'. This is a nice source of low pressure, high volume air that easily purged the old coolant from those lines. I think I got about 3 gallons out.

I also refilled the whole system with fresh water and ran for a few minutes, then drained the whole thing again to flush. Did this twice. Reason was I had no idea what kind of coolant was in it and didn't want to mix. While running, also turn on the dash switch that runs the engine heat exchanger circulation pump for the Primus (That Dieselbird mentioned). I'd also turn on the Primus circulation pumps as well as they may need to be on for the engine circulation pump to run.

On my '91, I think I only ended up refilling with about 20 gallons, then after the first outing, it took another 1-2 gallons as all the air was purged.
Old 12-26-2017

Thanks Mose. I have to replace the gate valves as the one that is between the pump and frame rail is broken with the gate closed. I will use the shop vac idea. Right now in Montgomery Texas it is 43 degrees and raining so I'm spending the day indoors.
dlfezatte@gmail.com
1991 WLWB