Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 06-05-2012

FWIW I change all my filters (all racors included) once a year and i put on about 2500 to 3500 miles per year. I look at it as preventative mtc.
Old 06-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Hat Guy View Post
is 4,500 miles too short for a racor change?
No, not at all. Newer fuel is a bio-mass/bio-diesel "enriched" fuel. This has a cleaning effect on the older tanks both in the ground and in your bus. If I run a 2 micron Racor in my coach, 5K miles is about right before it gets into the high yellow area on the gauge. A 10 or 20 micron filter may last 10K miles or so, unless you get a bad load of fuel.

“Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 06-06-2012

Thanks, Shane -

You have eased my fears. I have said many times, I know just enough technical stuff to be dangerous. Seemed my fuel filters needed changing not quite so frequently. That was however before I started driving my bird all over the country 15 - 20 K miles a year. All kinds of conditions, many different fuel stops - good fuel, bad fuel, etc.

Guess that's what the fuel filter are for.

Thanks all y'all what a wealth of information, especially for us "great unwashed".
Old 06-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Hat Guy View Post
Thanks, Ron - that seems to be an excellent idea, future testing as well.
Tommy, thanks for asking the question.....
There are some great ideas in this thread!!

1973 31FC
Cape Cod MA
Old 06-06-2012

If the bus looses power you KNOW you need the filter changed. My Racor doesn't work. Shane and I tried blowing compressed air and couldn't clear the line. I'll have to add a gage at the canister some time. I never considered changing fuel filters much because on any other vehicle I've owned it has never been a problem. Diesel is different and especially when rather large quantities are run through those filters.

On our last outing I couldn't keep up and while the bus seemed to run well it ran much better when the filters were changed. Picked up about 50hp so change often rather then seldom.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia
Old 06-06-2012

Diesels like fuel like a sailor likes his rum
82 FC 33 250 left me for another
Sumner Wa.
Old 06-06-2012
Senior

The Racor gauge should be in the green with the engine running if there are no contaminents between the gauge and the outlet of the Racor filter. As the contaminents build up the needle starts lower into the green and then the yellow where your fuel mileage is already lower. There is normally a decal supplied with the Racor dash and T-handle gauges that shows when to change the filter(its in the yellow).

The fuel pump (suction) is continually trying to draw fuel out of the fuel tank thru the Racor filter and when there is a constriction it starts pulling AIR out of the fuel (degassing) and hurting your fuel mileage. I had that problem last week coming back from Northern NY visiting my brother. Racor got clogged and it was raining so hard I continued to drive and within 5 miles of home the gauge was hard down in the red and almost no power. My fuel mileage really suffered for I took approx 75 gallons of diesel for the trip up and back (most of it back).
Recommendation Tommy is to blow out the line from the gauge to the outlet of the racor after disconnecting the line at the output
6V92
Old 06-07-2012

Thanks, Tom

I will blow my line out as you suggest, which I don't think it needs at this point. I went back over to my 'bird and looked again at my Racor gauge. Obviously I have not heretofore paid a lot of attention to how the gauge acts after changing the filter.

The needle is down at the bottom of the green on the gauge. Start the engine and the needle moves slightly up the green. Putting the coach in gear and begin to roll, the needle is still slightly in the green. Shut her down and it drops back down to the bottom.

It seems it is working like it should, but I am going to blow the line out anyway after we return from a short trip next week. I am going to have the fuel tank sump drained next time I am in for service.

This techno-challenged lawyer should pay more attention to how things work and not assume everything is working properly.

Thanks to everyone, I'm learning, but ever so slowly. (I have even learned how to "reset" my fuel gauge)
Old 06-07-2012
Administrator

Tommy,

Check the drain on the fuel tank, there may be a drain cockpet, or a sump drain like older FC's or just a pipe plug, If a pipe plug do not remove with a full tank of fuel, I would suggest a 1/4 tank , there is hugh pressure with a full load of full, the plug will be impossible to replace.
Old 06-07-2012

Hey, Bill - thanks for your response.

Draining the fuel tank sump is way out of my pay grade. Not only that, I don't even know where it is.

What I'll do when the time comes is get the good folks at CoachCraft to do it for me.