Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 3 Days Ago

Default Removing it all!

That's right. All of it. If it's screwed down I am unscrewing it and removing it. I have dealt with this stupid, sometimes I do and sometimes I wont, leak. The plan was to just deal with the front curb side quadrant but it seems all of the walkways on my coach were installed curbside first and work their way to street side so each curbside piece is under the next closest street side piece. So I figure, if i have to loosen the screw to get the extruded aluminum up and out of the way, I may as well remove it all and reseal everything. I was surprised to find only one screw with a stripped head and even more surprised to learn a previous owner thought a couple of lag screws would be a good idea. I was also stumped when I found a machine bolt in one spot. Most of the dark areas in the picture is years worth of pine straw and decayed leaves that have been liberated from under the walkway.

As usual this is not a "new" issue with this coach but one that looks like a previous owner has addressed more that once over the years and almost always with more and more silicone. Hopefully, this will be the last time this has to be done. For what it's worth, in each newly cleaned hole I will be applying Sikaflex 221 Polyurethane Adhesive/Sealant then the rubber strip more sealant and then the walkway. Probably more sealant just under each screw head too. This will be the same for each section of Goat Rail, horns, speakers, and cowls.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0314.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	56465   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0315.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	56466  

David & Nicole Stokes
Valdosta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'97 Jeep Wrangler
229-834-8677

Independent Consultant
The Pampered Chef
http://www.pamperedchef.biz/davidstokes
Old 3 Days Ago

my PO stuck a commercial fan in a window and found leaks on the roof with a garden hose.
FLYING DUTCHMAN
Old 3 Days Ago

david i know your frustration
i'v dealt with the same problem over and over again will watch your post and progress
good luck mike
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 3 Days Ago
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaaksma View Post
my PO stuck a commercial fan in a window and found leaks on the roof with a garden hose.
I remember a few years ago there used to be companies that put a big fan outside your front door, closed off any excess around the vent from the fan, then making sure they had all interior vents and windows shut, would turn on the big fan and the positive pressure would show any leaks on roof or elsewhere.

You know you are getting old when everything either dries up or leaks
Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird Bob View Post
I remember a few years ago there used to be companies that put a big fan outside your front door, closed off any excess around the vent from the fan, then making sure they had all interior vents and windows shut, would turn on the big fan and the positive pressure would show any leaks on roof or elsewhere.

Yep, that's what he did with his newer BB. He mounted the fan on scaffolding, let it run until no more bubbles.
FLYING DUTCHMAN