Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted

Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted Toads general discussion and list your Toads or Trailers and others that you have found For Sale and Wanted and also discussions about them here.

Site Search:

Old 06-02-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by biobug View Post
I agree. A Wrangler will get you most anywhere. We drove the Fiat 500 to the "Desert Bar" by Parker with 4 full sized adults down the15 mile trail,,. road and we parked next to over 100 Jeeps, big 4x4's and UTV's. The looks we got was amazing! Other than banging a few boulders against skid plates we made it fine,,, even passed a Rubicon changing tires.
The Wrangler is obviously a better choice for off roads. But, when I put my accountant’s hat on and compare the price difference and the number of times per year it may offer an advantage over a Fiat or a Mini Cooper, it just doesn’t make financial sense to pay triple (or more) the money for the same model year vehicle.
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 06-02-2019

I’ve owned a cooper. Great car. Just saying check the Spark most for the money. You can buy a nice used one for under $6000 Cheap to maintain not so sure about the Cooper I’d buy the fiat if the two doors are ok and I think the spark has more room I’d prefer the fiat but the spark has some practical advantages
Look at one and report back

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 06-02-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahin View Post
The Wrangler is obviously a better choice for off roads. But, when I put my accountant’s hat on and compare the price difference and the number of times per year it may offer an advantage over a Fiat or a Mini Cooper, it just doesn’t make financial sense to pay triple (or more) the money for the same model year vehicle.
Can you pay $16,000 for a Cooper or Fiat, drive it daily when home and tow it behind the bus for 4 years, then sell it for $15,000 to the first guy to come and look at it? If you can then go for it. But that is what I did and it turned out to be the cheapest transportation I have ever owned. A $1,000 for four years of use. Yes I kept good care of it but I only put on a set of tires other than oil changes. Not to mention the Jeep is the easiest thing to tow that there is. I only sold the Jeep because I have a half mile long driveway that needs plowed in the winter. I put a plow on it, but when we had those 12"+ snows it was just too much for it to push, so I bought my Silverado 4x4 2500 HD, with Duramax in order to get the job done. I would never have sold the Jeep if it weren't for that.

The price you pay doesn't always count until you figure out the price you get out of it, when you sell it. By the way that Jeep was a 2006
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-09 21.54.44.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	62256

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 06-02-2019

Have an element and love it as a mini-camper, have done many nights in the Maine N. Woods crashed out in the back. Much more comforting to guard against bears than ripstop nylon, although probably couldn't tow ours due to AWD. They are getting harder and harder to come by for a reasonable price and in reasonable condition. I'm rebuilding a civic hx (high efficiency model) for funsies and better economy, and will sell the element when we downsize for the move aboard. Best of luck with your new toad! If you go to sell the element, there are a ton of nuts on facebook group that will pay good money for them, even with trans stuff.
Old 06-02-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
Can you pay $16,000 for a Cooper or Fiat, drive it daily when home and tow it behind the bus for 4 years, then sell it... The price you pay doesn't always count until you figure out the price you get out of it, when you sell it.
Absolutely NOT because 1) On Dec 31, 2013 FIVE years ago mine only cost $10K ($11K out-the-door w/ T&L) brand new with a 4 yr bumper-to-bumper warranty. Along the way I added window tint, LED headlights and the tow brackets 2) At the time I figured it would be a throw away till we got our Jeep in a couple years. Like John, I totally wrong! The Jeep is still a want but the Fiat continues to satisfy almost ALL of our needs (there’s still that 12” clearance thing ) 3) Looked hard at Mini Coopers before deciding on the Fiat. At the time, a Cooper was $18K to $20K. Loved it's look but felt squished inside when driving and it couldn’t carry half what the Fiat could. Plus it’s cost difference was hard to justify and most importantly I’ve owned a British car before (a Triumph Spitfire). Loved that car too but there was a reason it had a liftable bonnet instead of a hood 4) For two people the Fiat provides an amazing amount of interior and head room. I’m 6-1 but have lots of headroom and can literally stretch out when driving. Push the front seats all the way back and it’s cabin seems spacious, and those two doors are bigger than most full sized car doors. In a pinch it can carry more people and we’ve done that too, but only if they’re VERY good friends 5) There is no easier to hookup, unhook or flat 4-down tow vehicle that’s manufacturer certified to do so, period 6) If one can deal with all the “its a Matchbox car!” jokes, the Fiat’s practicality and efficiency are amazing. Over the past 5 years it’s met every challenge including countless HD runs carrying 2x4’s, 10’ PVC pipe and plywood (cut to size ). Plus at 40+ mpg, when it comes to fuel it’s not a Prius but close 7) Reliability has been outstanding! Zero complaints, none, nada. Now at the 5 year point, I fully expect it to just keep on ticking for the next 5 years and... 8) Love this little can-do “throw away” car. So much so that when the Jeep appears it’s gonna have some BIG shoes to fill

In light of the above, paying triple (or more) the cost of a Fiat for a Wrangler OR almost double for a Mini-Cooper didn’t make financial sense, especially had I known I might keep the Fiat forever! . However, there are lots of other reasons to plunk down obscene amounts of $$ for a vehicle. Figuring out when it’s ok to do so and scratch those itches is part of life.

Can’t tell you how many times I’ve been asked “What’s that little thing behind the Bus?” ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A1CED8B0-68F3-4F4A-9BC2-7EEB6EB20DCC.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	62259  
Old 06-02-2019

Jim’s right about Jeeps holding their value. If you can find one at the right price. I looked at Jeeps and I couldn’t find one for under $10000 that wasn’t rusted badly with a bunch of miles on it I bought my Spark new in 2013 for $13000 out the door tax and tags.

The devils always in the details

I the end you probably should buy the car you like best.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 06-03-2019

I lease a couple fiat 500e cars for my opacity testing gig. All electric. 100 mile range fantastic cars. The batteries are in the floor. Never had one issue other than front tires go quick if you are not careful. Cool part is you can run the air or heat from an app on you phone to get the cabin to temp while tethered. 30 grand new. Lease returns go for 7 grand. Cant be tow'ed but would make a cool project to figute a way to pull one. Might be a way to use the regenerative coasting to charg the car and bus
Old 06-03-2019

Bought a trailer car in’17
Kia Soul aka Hamster Box
I had only 15.25 feet of space in show trailer for a car,Hamster is 13.58 long
Used, 190 miles 100,000 bumper to bumper warranty for six years, downgraded from 10 due to the fact it was used.
$11,800
Biggest little car you’ll ever sit in.
IMO very well built
Manual can be towed 4 down, autos maybe?
Old 06-04-2019

I sold my 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD for $7500.00 and bought a 1013 Fiat 500 Turbo for $7995 at a dealer the next day. It had 3200 miles on the clock. The daughter who had it purchased for her could not figure out a clutch so mommy bought her a 2018 Mazda 3 Automatic so she could come home on weekends from OSU.In the In the 4 years she owned the Fiat she managed to drive 3200 miles. It now has 19,000 trouble
free miles and a lot more being towed..Thanks Van for pointing me on the right direction!
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."
Old 6 Days Ago

We just picked up a 2017 Nissan Versa note for 4000$ with under 20,000 miles from a family friend. All it needed was a new battery. It's an auto so we got a Demco KarkaddySS dolly. Should be an easy tow. Find out next week when the coach finely gets out of the shop for the first time since we bought it.