Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 4 Days Ago

Default LXI Headliner removal

Well I am embarking on a new project on my 2000 43LXI. The rooftop spot/flood is kaput. I want to remove it and refurbish it as best as possible. While I am in there I want to see what kind of A/C filtration there is on the roof airs. In my prior rv's the a/c unit was easily accessible and the filters were easy to wash and replace.

Anyone have a positive experience in removing the headliner panels on this coach? I don't want to make a bad thing worse, but it would be great to have the spotlight working and the a/c's clean and putting out plenty of air.

Thanks
Chip
Old 4 Days Ago

The headliner panels are held to the plywood liner with "Christmas Tree" clips. They just pull out. I've found that a "pickle fork" tie rod end remover tool works well. A good starting place is the air conditioner grills as you can get the edge of the panel there. Be sure to mark the panel and ceiling with the relative location of each panel as you remove them. Once the panels are off you can see the fasteners (screws) in the plywood.

The filtration on the AC units (Dometic Penguin) is simply the foam sheet under (above) the intake grill on each unit. Really easy to R&R.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 4 Days Ago
Forum owner

On my 2000LXI the mirror ceiling panels swing down on hinges.
so the question of the day is,whats your overhead made of?
Mirrors?
no Mirrors?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 4 Days Ago

So Stephen was right. I have a vinyl ceiling with an inset panel and a gold surround then more vinyl around the edge (about 4 inches). I got on a chair and saw that the outside panel was attached to the a/c ducting by long screws that were covered by the internal panel. Just a few tugs on the internal panel and the "christmas trees" started to give way. Leaving the 1/2" plywood sub ceiling in place. I found a couple of plastic extrusions that are "supposed" to have an a/c filter in them. Only one did. God only knows what crud lurks on the a/c evaporator fins. So success so far.

I cannot complete the project because my slide out is out of commission waiting on a part from HWH. Simple high current relay. The contacts welded closed and blew a fuse. I love their products but their parts ordering process is sad in this day and age of web forms and credit card validation online. I waited 2-1/2 days for a call back just to give them a credit card number for a $60.00 purchase. I run a small business and when I have a customer that has card in hand and ready to buy I drop everything I am doing. Sorry for the rant. I just hope there does not come a day that I really need them to come through for me in a pinch.

Thanks again for those who have chimed in. Bluebird really made the ceilings seamless, that is to mean there is no obvious place to start the removal. Fine engineering at its best. I recall my dad exclaiming when I was a kid of 12 that he dared me to find an exposed screw on our new car's interior. 1974 Mercedes 450SEL. He was right. Not a single screw out in the open. The service manual was required to decipher where to pry to pop the clips they used to secure door panels and the such. Dad is gone now but I had the pleasure of inheriting the Mercedes and before I passed it on I had restored the interior and exterior. Mechanicals were just starting to be broken in at 150K miles. My Bluebird will be with me for a while.

Thanks all.

Chip
Old 4 Days Ago
Forum owner

The filter system is not so good,one day i will change mine,one day...

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 4 Days Ago

Chip good luck with the removal my mirrored ceiling is a one piece seamless 21 ft section installed with Christmas tree fasteners i considered removing it once but chickened out1