Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Care and Upkeep

Care and Upkeep Let's face it, it has to be done. Have questions of what to do or how to do it, this is the place to talk about it.

Site Search:

Old 01-18-2018

Default Adding a second couch (or sofa)

Hello, I am currently in discussion with two owners of Birds for purchase and a thought has occured. I would prefer to have two sofas, rather than one sofa and one reclining chair. I don't feel that the second couch needs to be a foldout for sleeping, as the first one will be, so: how difficult is it to add a second couch and pull out the little tables that sit on the curb side; and two- does the sofa have to be an RV model or can I install my living room leather sofa with some angle brackets? Can I get a house couch in the door? Even for an RV couch, does it have to be disassembled to get inside the coach?

Insights please.
Old 01-18-2018

I took out the two chairs and dry bar on the curb side of my coach and replaced it with a couch. Long, comfy and lots of storage under.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 01-18-2018

Same here. Had 2 barrel chairs with a table in between, replaced with an extra long couch. I got a foldout rv couch, they brought it in in pieces and assembled and bolted it down.
VB 1570
Old 01-18-2018

Our 35FC has the 2 couches. The drivers side opens to a bed, the passenger side one is basically like a daybed. I really wish I knew how it was attached because I wish to modify it to make a big storage compartment out of it. The way ours sits now, we could sleep 6, but I have absolutely no plans to. You might be better off to build one in place, that way you can make it open for storage.
I wouldn't worry about making it open into a bed because if the other one is opened, there is no room for this one to open up as well.

Fort Myers, Florida
1982 FC33 3208T "EM-50" - SOLD
1983 FC35 3208T "Gen X Express"

danahcks@aol.com
Old 01-18-2018

Oh, I forgot to mention that some have had to remove their windshield in order to get a couch in or out of their bus. With that being said, I vote for building one in place.

Fort Myers, Florida

danahcks@aol.com
Old 01-18-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandytoes View Post
Hello, I am currently in discussion with two owners of Birds for purchase and a thought has occured. I would prefer to have two sofas, rather than one sofa and one reclining chair. I don't feel that the second couch needs to be a foldout for sleeping, as the first one will be, so: how difficult is it to add a second couch and pull out the little tables that sit on the curb side; and two- does the sofa have to be an RV model or can I install my living room leather sofa with some angle brackets? Can I get a house couch in the door? Even for an RV couch, does it have to be disassembled to get inside the coach?

Insights please.
You didn't state the model of Wanderlodge you are trying to do this to. So nobody can really tell you if it will fit or not. Especially if you are talking a "house" couch. Some of them are pretty big. And by the way, the backs are very high. So, you may cover half of the windows by using one of those. Not my choice.

The cabinets and chairs all come out pretty easy. You just have to find the screws in the base and begin backing them out and your done. Now again, it depends on what model of coach if a couch will fit there. Some have hydronic heat convectors, with fans, that may have to be worked around, like mine. You will most likely have to remove the front passenger seat if you are putting it into a PT or WB. If putting it into an FC then I would think it would be tight, if the bath is across from the door, but most likely can be done with some effort and not too big of a couch. Bottom line anything is possible, but it may take some prior planning and some extra effort.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 01-18-2018
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorgrl View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention that some have had to remove their windshield in order to get a couch in or out of their bus. With that being said, I vote for building one in place.
I have been involved with removing and replacing lots of couchs,and i have never seen the windsheild come out for that job.

If your coach has a factory BB couch on the curb side,its screwed in place,it will come out.
But i bet if you keep looking you will figure out how to access the under couch storage.
No matter,2 sets of golf clubs will not fit under there anyway,theres a big hump under there,and below that hump theres a tire.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-18-2018

I removed the chair and table from our 90 SP and built a second couch. Removal of the table was a matter of finding the screws to back out.

I think the reason to remove a windshield for installing anything is to pad the bill. RV places get paid for everything they do to include removing/replacing the windshield. We have installed furniture and house type three door refrigerators thru the front/side door.

I would use a tape measure before I bought house type furniture for a coach. Folks have bought furniture only to find they have constructed an obstacle course where there was an aisle.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 01-18-2018

I installed two flexsteel jack knife sofas in my 78Fc. When they were open in the bed configuration there was maybe 10" between them. It was perfect for two kids.
I strongly recommend against using a house chesterfield, as they are too big as others have stated.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 01-18-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
I have been involved with removing and replacing lots of couchs,and i have never seen the windsheild come out for that job.

If your coach has a factory BB couch on the curb side,its screwed in place,it will come out.
But i bet if you keep looking you will figure out how to access the under couch storage.
No matter,2 sets of golf clubs will not fit under there anyway,theres a big hump under there,and below that hump theres a tire.
I have heard several say they went thru the windshield to move big objects in or out of RV's, not necessarily BB's and not necessarily on this forum.
I will be investigating the passenger sofa more this weekend, when I am off, while the hubby fixes the leaking HWH valves. I can see from our 82FC where a factory sofa once was but the PO removed it and had a cabinet built and a chair installed. So going off the holes I see from the 82, theoretically there should be similar holes holding the hardware for the sofa in the 83. Once I find a way to open it up, then I will have a better idea of what could fit in there...like golf clubs with no bag....

Fort Myers, Florida

danahcks@aol.com