Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 04-02-2016
Forum owner

Default Tom Petty and the heartbrakers

I never knew Tom Petty,but he was from Gainesville Fl and thats where i'm from.

But,i did know his dad,Earl.
Earl lived across the street from a frind of mine and thats how i met Earl.
One night we were drink brown liquor and ran out of ice,Donald called Earl and Earl came across the street in his PJs to bring us a bucket of ice.
And thats how i met Earl.

Back in those days i was running the truck shop for the welding supply,we had 3 stores in Fl and 4 in Ga.
And i was in charge of everything with wheels.
Except forklifts.

My shop was not far from where Earl lived and Earl would come by every few days to have a coffee and visit for a minute.
Earl was a true Florida Cracker,he was retired and he fished almost daily with another neat old guy named Cecil.

Cecil was always into something,making gag gifts or smoking chickens or turkeys in his back yard meat smoker.
He had the boat that he and Earl fished out of.
Every Wed they went fishing with what we called the "garden club".
5-6 boats with old guys would have a fishing tournament every week.

Bream,bass,specked perch,whatever was biting.
So these guys always had fish to cook,and cook it they did.

They would show up at the shop with a fish cooker,grease,hush puppy fixens and onions and potatoes.
Drop the tail gate and start frying fish,right there in the door to the shop.
This happened once a month or so,after lunch they would pack up and drive away,just another day in paradise!

Other guys that came by everyday was another guy named Earl Smith.
He came by first thing in the morning,had a coffee and then was on to the rest of the shops in the area,which was full of shops.
Earl S. would talk NASCAR,he loved Boddy Allison,and thats all he talked about,well,besides shooting pool,which he was very good at,or drinking,which he was also very good at!
Earl S was in WW2 and flew in bombers in england,boy he had some stories,and pics to back them up.
He was a gunner,not a pilot.

After lunch Earl S was back for round 2,checking in with all his working buddys,then at 5pm he was over at the beer bar pool hall down the street,shotting pool and drinking beer.
I was his pool shooting partner.
I'm a terrible pool shooter,what i did mostly was rack the balls,so earl could run the table!

But wait,we were talking about Earl Petty,Toms dad.
Earl was a great guy,he had us over for dinner quite often,he was single,his wife had passed years before.
Eral loved to talk about Tom,abot his music,his fame and his new albums etc.
Every 3-4 years Tom would come to town for a concert,and Earl always asked me to be his personal bodyguard during the concert,which meant Carol and I got in free at the concert,and back stage passes etc.
Plus we got to ride in the Limo and we had great seats at the show.
My job was to look out for Earl,keep the crowds back from him etc.
No big deal,everybody was always very nice to Earl and he was a true southern gentleman.
Of course the newspaper had been out to interview him and everybody saw his pic in the paper,so it was a big deal to the fans to be seen with Earl.
But,the best times with Earl was during the tailgate fish frys!!

My job at the truck shop included going to all the stores and doing minor work at their location.
I was over in St. Augustine Fl,Jax Fl,and 4 stores up in Ga.
I was out on an avaerage of 2 days per week,working on the road.

I had a chalk board on the outside wall of the shop,so when i was gone i would leave a message on the board.
Jax
St Augie

Waycross
You get the idea,so if i had a parts delivery coming,the driver knew to come back the next day.

And some days i was at the shop before daybreak to get parts and stuff,so i would leave the message so the office staff knew where i was.
The board worked both ways,i would get back to the shop and Earl would have a note for me,dinner at his house,or whatever.
Lots of guys left me a message,Carol would leave messages for me too.
No cell phones back then!

Some of the other guys that came by were Johnny Horne,a great guy i had known all my life,he was a city cop,a motorcycle cop.
He would stop by when working the area,and there was a kid that drove a pepsi truck,he would stop by and drop off a few cases of pepsi every week or two.
We had a fridge in the shop and it was always stocked with beer and pepsi.
Other guys would stop in and have a beer,or drop off a 6 pack.

Some days someone would show up with a bag full of hot dogs and buns,we would fire the grill up and have hotdogs for lunch.

There was always something going on at y shop,and somehow lots of work was done too.
The shop was about 100 feet by 50 feet,we had an overhead crane and a truck lift to pickup the delivery trucks,it was adjustable so any size truck would fit.

The place was busy,all the time,people in and out.
My dad would come by once a week or so and hang out,just sitting and watching the show,never saying much.
My dad was retired from the phone company,and all the phone company guys would stop in to visit to,i got an endless supply of zip ties and tape from those guys.

Of course lots of those old guys would need something welded,or advice or something,all of that was done too.
They gave lots of advice too,and lots of tall tails were told as well!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-03-2016

Thanks for sharing Randy. LOVE IT
Miss you guys!
Old 04-03-2016
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike meyers View Post
Thanks for sharing Randy. LOVE IT
Miss you guys!
Mike,it was so much fun working there that i almost worked free!
But,tell you what,its more fun working with all you Bird owners.
Its something new everyday!!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-03-2016
Forum owner

Earl Smith was the pool shark.
Like i said,i was his partner while shooting pool,but all i ever did was collect the money and rack up the balls.
Earl liked them racked just so,and you had to call your shot,every time.
He could shoot pool,thats for sure.
Me? not so much,i was terrible.
But,i almost never had to shoot,Earl would run the table and we would move on to the next suckers,err,players!

Earl would get tanked up pretty good,and then he would start showing off,shooting with one hand,one hand in his back pocket,jumping the cue ball over another ball to make shots,stuff like that.
He was good.
We played for $2 per game,plus 2 beers per game,we gave away beer all night,no way we could drink them all.

The bar was an old little wood frame building with sagging floors,the table was never level and we shimmed under the legs with smashed beer cans,the floor would move when people were walking around and the table was constantly needing leveled.
It was a 2 room bar,pool table in the back room and one bathroom,unisex i guess you could say.

That one seat bathroom was always busy,and one night a women was in there for too long to suit another women that was a friend of ours.
We called her "sugar ray" after the boxer.

This night was the last time i ever when into that bar.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-03-2016

Default Tom Petty

Great stories Randy. I have a Tom Petty channel on my Sirius satellite radio and listen to it often.
We had horizontal snow last night in Ohio. My brother from another mother in Naples, Bustdnukles, has been sending me pics of the various thermometers in his XV, his shop and inside the house. I got nuthin' to send back. Maybe a snowball packed in dry ice.

Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 04-03-2016

Great reading
318-553-4186
1994 BMC 37' "Sold"
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1986 F150
KE5WCW
Old 04-03-2016

Keep 'em coming! My wife would dump me in a minute for Tom Petty. His bands name was very factual.. Thanks for the "second cup sip along"!
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."
Old 04-03-2016

Listening to Randy I realize how boring my life has been. I sure am glad to be a BB owner and a WOGGER because there is still hope and I have had some adventures with you guys and girls. I guess the good part of my life has been while I've had no tales to tell I can say that I've been fortunate because lots of times the thrills come at a cost.

I admire Randy and lots of others because I think many of you have done so many different and interesting things and learned from your adventures.

I've learned more in the last years hanging with you guys then in the previous 20 years. Most of it good stuff and all of it interesting. I am down sizing the dinette this weekend doing it myself and having fun and feeling a sense of accomplishment who would have thought...

Keep the stories coming .

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 04-03-2016
Forum Moderator

John you keep hanging around with guys like Randy, Shane, John M, John F etc and you'll have stories and lies of your own to tell. You probably have a few already. Never a dull day with the 'The Wild Bunch'.
Old 04-03-2016

Randy Dupree - a "gear head's gear head". Always thinking about our mechanical integrity and safety. The heart "brakers".