Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 01-23-2009
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Default Sockets/Receptacles & Plugs

I didn’t do a very good job in post #25 but what I was trying to point out is that (at least on my 84 ½ PT-36) there were no 30 Amp sockets/receptacles on the coach. All 3 of the sockets/receptacles mounted on the coach and all of the female plugs that plugged into them were 50 Amp connectors. Blue Bird used one style of 50 Amp connector for the 30 Amp service connections and another style of 50 Amp connectors for the 50 Amp service connection on the coach. When buying female plugs to put on the coach end of the cords you need a 50 Amp female plug of the correct type whether you are working on a 30 Amp cord or a 50 Amp cord. Of course the male ends of the cords are the standard 30 Amp or 50 Amp plugs.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001

Last edited by Dieselbird01; 01-23-2009 at 10:30 PM. Reason: added: "correct type"
Old 01-24-2009
Administrator

(DieselBird,) John,

Thanks for trying to clarify this simple, but confusing part.
This have been a topic in the past , Apparently this is a rare and hard to find part.

I also added to the confusion by referring to postings by the two Johns' that have posted.
Old 01-24-2009

Considering the action on this thread, ponder the tightness of my back side as the park lawn cutter drove the mower over my BRAND NEW NOS 50a cord. Obviously no damage was done or I would be in prison now.
MH
Use an orange parking cone to mark my cable now.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 01-24-2009
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

You’re right Bill this gets confusing every time it comes up. Hopefully we can nail down some good part numbers. Like you said, the Leviton 7764-C female plug that Jeremy put on his 50 Amp cord appears to be a good replacement for the 50 Amp cords. Now we need a good part number for the 50 Amp plug used on the 30 Amp cords. I was wondering if the 50 Amp Hubbell HBL63CM64 female plug that Tim recommended and John (iamflagman) bought, could possibly be for the 50 Amp coach sockets that the 30 Amp cords plug into? I know the HBL63CM64 has 2 “L” shaped slots instead of one and has guides on the sides but since Tim mentioned it I was wondering if it fit those sockets for the 30 Amp cords. Did you happen to try that Flagman?

Good point about the "orange parking cone" Mike if nothing else you could use it to club the guy the next time he comes around.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 01-24-2009
Administrator

John Wyatt,

You’re right 50 amp / female 30a amp would even confuse the Flagman.

I do not carry the 30 amp Yellow cords when we travel, so I can not verify, the old 30 amp Arrow Hart three spade design. So you may be on to something..

Flagman must be napping
Old 01-24-2009

our bird only has one plug a fifty amp
for the thirty amp cord it has a fifty amp plug on it a little trickery was used on the inside of the plug

It is possible to wreck the cord if you dont watch your power usage

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 01-24-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird01 View Post
You’re right Bill this gets confusing every time it comes up. Hopefully we can nail down some good part numbers. Like you said, the Leviton 7764-C female plug that Jeremy put on his 50 Amp cord appears to be a good replacement for the 50 Amp cords. Now we need a good part number for the 50 Amp plug used on the 30 Amp cords. I was wondering if the 50 Amp Hubbell HBL63CM64 female plug that Tim recommended and John (iamflagman) bought, could possibly be for the 50 Amp coach sockets that the 30 Amp cords plug into? I know the HBL63CM64 has 2 “L” shaped slots instead of one and has guides on the sides but since Tim mentioned it I was wondering if it fit those sockets for the 30 Amp cords. Did you happen to try that Flagman?

Good point about the "orange parking cone" Mike if nothing else you could use it to club the guy the next time he comes around.

I just went out and tried it on my "DEAD" 30amp sockets and they DO NOT work for them either on my 'Bird. I still have the 30amp sockets but they are no longer wired into my house system.

I believe that there is a way to use this model female plug and that would be to purchase the male receptacle that this one fits into and wire that male receptacle into your coach's shore power hookup, but that is going to cost another $100.00 or so and I really thought that this was going to work without going through all of that.....does anybody need one for their Yacht?

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-14-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default Hubbell Tech. Department Answer

Being frustrated that after I purchased a Hubbell HBL63CM64 female plug for my 50 amp shore power cord and it wouldn't even fit into the receptacle on my 'Bird, I made a call to the tech department and then on their request, I sent a couple inquiring emails, the first one with links to this thread and photos directly to Hubbell themselves and here is my last email to them and their reply.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Mon 2/9/2009 2:48 PM
To: Milford, Tech Services
Subject: Re: jh/50 Amp 125/240 Volt shore power female plug.

I have personally tried every way I can think of to get this plug to work, but the HBL63CM64 plug WILL NOT EVEN GO FAR ENOUGH INTO THE MALE SOCKET ON THE BUS!!!!!!!

There are two nipples, one can be seen at the two o'clock position on the HBL63CM64 the other one is on the opposite side and either these nipples prevent the plug from going into the male socket any more than about 1/2 inch or, the grounding lug in the male socket will not align with the indented grounding area preventing it from going in.

On the Wanderlodge Owners Group Forum, we have some owners of the model Blue Birds that use this type of a plug and a lot of them either now need to be replaced or may need it in the near future.

The Leviton model 7764C will work perfectly, but some owners prefer a metal plug that will work, do you have one that will cross reference with the Leviton? The HBL63CM64 will not work for us, do you have another one that will?

www.WanderlodgeOwnersGroup.com
John Finn
Forum Moderator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: RE: jh/50 Amp 125/240 Volt shore power female plug.
Date: 2/10/2009 12:20:06 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
To: IAMFLAGMAN@aol.com

Good morning, Sorry Hubbell would not have a mating connector for this device.

Have a good day

Technical Service Department
Hubbell Wiring Device - Kellems
Phone (203) 882-4820
Fax (203) 882-4852
Email techserv@hubbell.com
Internet Site www.hubbell-wiring.com

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-14-2009
Administrator

Good morning, Sorry Hubbell would not have a mating connector for this device.

Have a good day

Technical Service Department
Hubbell Wiring Device - Kellems

John this response hits the old hot Hot Button, I do not understand why Companies continue to turn customers off and shut the door on a customer inquiry, with out offering an explanation, another option of at least a lame excuse for not helping. There are some very supportive vendors such as Fantastic Fan, HWH, CCW, Zip DEE, Progressive Dynamics, etc. They will offer assistance or make a customer feel good about the interchange of information. There is a particular character of a company that respects an input and makes a customer feel good when their response is "No we can not help " ... but still ending on a positive note.
In addition to Hubble, K&N Filters and Dometic have recently refused to offer any help, support or assistance with their produces with no further explanation , or hope of ever responding again.
I thought times were tough and companies needed customers that want to spend $$$.
Old 02-14-2009

On situations like this, try going over the tech support head. Ask to speak to a
supervisor or vp/president of the company. Like bill said, these are hard times and
mangement sometimes needs a wakeup call!!