Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 03-12-2010
Tommy Two Shoes

Default Sanitizing Water Tanks

I want to sanitize my fresh water holding tanks. In reading the manual on the subject, it explains the process and adds a warning, "CAUTION: Do not permit sanitizing or antifreeze solutions to enter water purifier."
It does not identify location or process to prevent this.

Anyone who knows the process for bypassing the purifier and where it is located on a 1995 42 footer?

Tommy 'Two Shoes' McCarthy

GoneAway
2006 M450LXI
Gardnerville, NV
Near South Lake Tahoe in the Carson Valley
Old 03-12-2010

my 96 says to remove the plug in the secondary water tank and add a bleach solution there. Replace the plug and then fill the tanks.The water goes through the purifier enroute to the water tank, so adding it to the tank is after the purifier. It then says to use the pumps to flush it through the pipes, let sit and then pump some more. After this you can add water in the normal way and flush all the chlorine out of the system.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 03-12-2010

As Peter says, you use the secondary tank. Mine is curbside between the middle doors. There's a large screw off plate. I used a funnel and some tubing to get into the tank. Mine has very limited space above the tank. Your filter should be near the pumps. Mine is mounted on the rear wall of the pump area. It's about 4-5" in diameter, a foot tall and white plastic.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 03-13-2010
Tommy Two Shoes

So adding solution directly to the tank bypasses the purifier. If I added through the tank fill end, it would contaminate the purifier if I understand you correctly.

Thanks Peter and John. I hope to see you at the Q next year if not somewhere else.

GoneAway
2006 M450LXI
Gardnerville, NV
Old 03-13-2010

Check this out! http://www.ultraviolet.com/water/tankma01.htm

Peace&Love, Darren

Wanderlodge Wannabe
That's "Cheers" the dream coach
Old 03-13-2010
Tommy Two Shoes

Darren,

This looks interesting. Have you tried one and, if so, does it work as advertised? Any idea of the price?

GoneAway
2006 M450LXI
Gardnerville, NV
Old 03-13-2010

They work! Ultra violet light is the process municipalities use to protect water supplies from the "killer" bugs like e coli and such. I have not used these bulbs but have seen them in use, They seem like the very best way to keep your tanks clean and water pure as far as bugs, mold and algee.

From what Ive read UV light in the intensity these bulbs create is 99% effective as a bug killer so go ahead and drink the water. lol

Peace&Love, Darren

Wanderlodge Wannabe
That's "Cheers" the dream coach
Old 03-13-2010
Tommy Two Shoes

Back to the sanitizing questions, the small tank on the curbside luggage compartment with the 1-1/4" plug/conector is the one in between where the chairs are stored and where the toolbox sits, correct? This is where it says to pour the sanitizing solution. I do not see any other option in the luggage area. There is a bay with aluminum covering something (holding tanks, I guess) farther back past the toolbox.

GoneAway
2006 M450LXI
Gardnerville, NV
Old 03-13-2010

Gents,

The UV Light sounds interesting but I would be curious if this would disinfect the entire system (water lines, piping and places the UV light does not reach).

May I offer another idea? If a coach does or does not have a side tank system as discribed above, why not install a by pass valve system at the water filter? Then, introduce a bleach solution through the city inlet and pump it into the tank and throughout the system until it comes out all faucets. This would ensure that the entire system would be sanitized.

Then I would drain and flush the entire system. After the fresh water flush, open the filter by pass valves and allow the water to pass through the filter during normal use. I would also use this system for winterizing, but would remove the filter so the water in it does not freeze.
Old 03-14-2010

Tommy,

That's the correct place to add your sanitizing solution, between the chairs and toolbox. The silver nitrate filter is in line in between the hose/shore water hook up and the tank(s). The rear bay behind the toolbox is covering the fresh and grey tanks. You remove the 6 or 8 screws, removing the panel, and one end of the tanks is sitting right there. The tank level sensors are right there, if you ever need to work with them.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support