Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 08-05-2010
Black Sheep Division

One thing I forgot to mention: the Cruise-Aire factory suffered a catastrophic fire several months back. There are no new ones being made right now & no plans to resume production in the future (because of some idiotic environmental rule) I am told. There are a number of HAVC service companies (including mine) that can rebuild the existing units. Some folks are opting to replace them with some of the new units designed for over the road trucks.

TOM
Old 08-05-2010

The roof airs are definitely louder. My kids don't like them at all, and shut theirs off at night because they can't stand the sound. I like it because it drowns out all the dogs barking, the knuckleheads who insist on revving their diesels at 6am, etc. I think the headroom issue really depends on the model. Mine is an 86, narrow body. I'm 6'3" (last I checked) and my hair just barefly rubs the ceiling (#2 setting on the clippers!) where there is NO air conditioner, in the middle of the aisle, tallest point. I've bumped my head a few times on the a/c units already. Didn't help that I went into Don's 90 widebody, where there is more headroom, my head didn't rub, and I didn't hit the a/c units! I've heard the BMC units have even more headroom, and possibly the 90's and later widebodies as well.
VB 1570
Old 08-05-2010
davidmbrady

What I like to do to minimize the noise of the roof airs is to set the fan to constant on at its low speed setting. This way, the compressor cycles but the fan doesn't. On low, the fan is reasonably quiet, it drowns out the noise of the compressor cycling, and it produces a soothing white noise that helps me sleep. (This works in hotel rooms too)!
Old 08-05-2010

we have all the airs on, all the fans, and then the girls--Poodles- don't hear all the strange noises outside
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 08-05-2010

As David mentioned, keeping the fan running a constant speed helps to minimize the sound differences as it runs. We run HEPA filters due to allergies, so the noise factor isn't an issue, once we figured out the constant fan speed trick!

Also, if you have the option to duct the output, that will also reduce the noise further.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 08-05-2010

Default The Skinny on 105 temps

After cleaning and having Ralph do his gauges, etc, we traveled 100 miles with the roof airs on, stayed fairly cool. Here at the campground- with no trees Cruise Airs can't cut the mustard. I suspect that when the sun goes down and not having it directly on the street side, they will work like when at home when I was parked under my pecan trees. 87 inside bus now
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 08-05-2010

Ernie, my experience is once that big steel body gets warm it will take some time after sun down to cool. Once it is cooled off inside on that big heat sink steel body it can do better tomorrow even if in the sun. Of course, shade is alway better. The key with my coach is to start the A/C early and try to keep it cool through the hottest part of the day.

Good luck.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 08-05-2010
Senior

A couple of things. First I can find no reference to the Cruiseair factory having a fire. They are owned by Dometic so I cant imagine that they will not be quickly rebuilt even if there was one. They have the market cornered on luxury boats and large yahts and are not going to give that market up. And there are no environmental issues for the cruiseairs that other A/C do not have that contain R22 which our cruiseairs use. But R22 is available long after my lifetime so I am not going to worry. I still have 30# of R22 yet and all of the gauges, pumps etc to service mine with and also the house central air which I made sure uses R22.

Secondly Ernie I thought you only have one working Cruiseair or is that incorrect? And how if you do have 3 working systems what temperature of air are they putting out? Saying yours was putting out 52 degree air is not a good gauge. It is the differential temperature between the outside air and the inside air measured at the evaporator output.

The cruiseairs will put out much more cold air then a rooftop, if they are properly serviced and operating up to specs. As someone else mentioned rooftops have no actual specs that can be checked and its a #### shoot which company has the best hype.

We love our cruiseairs and would not have anything else. They are relatively quiet, very clean and rugged (our ceiling is clean since there is no outside air moving over it to get the ceiling dirty. Normally in Florida we only run one cruiseair and if we really turn that one up it will freeze you out (well at least it is to cold for my wife?). They are very easy to service and are very rugged.

Bottom line is you take your pick and live with it

something crazy. On my previous 1982 FC35 and present 1985 PT40 cruiseairs were standard and roof airs were optional and cost extras. You can buy two roof tops with money left over for one cruiseair. Most buyers of BB just had to have rooftops. Go figure?
6V92
Old 08-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Ekberg View Post
After cleaning and having Ralph do his gauges, etc, we traveled 100 miles with the roof airs on, stayed fairly cool. Here at the campground- with no trees Cruise Airs can't cut the mustard. I suspect that when the sun goes down and not having it directly on the street side, they will work like when at home when I was parked under my pecan trees. 87 inside bus now
Reckon y'all will have to stay in that pool!!

Regards,
Jack and Liz
Lone Star Corral SKP park
Dhanis, Republic of Texas
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 08-05-2010
Black Sheep Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbucks13477 View Post
A couple of things. First I can find no reference to the Cruiseair factory having a fire. They are owned by Dometic so I cant imagine that they will not be quickly rebuilt even if there was one.
Below is a quote from the busconversions board I belong to. It is from Nick Badame, owner of Badame Refrigeration in New Jersey. He is a Dometic and Coleman dealer.

TOM

Bad news for basement A/C industry
« on: March 22, 2010, 06:39:43 PM »
Hi Folks,

Last year I reported about Dometic's basement A/C units were no longer being produced because of

the big loss of tooling Dometic suffered in the April 09' fire at the Mexican plant. This still stands!

Even worse.... Coleman has just announced it too has stopped production of their 2 ton plus line of

basement A/C and Heat Pumps.. Their main consumer of these units was Alfa See Ya Motorhomes and

since their demise, the sales has gone to record lows. Coleman also faced a redesign of the basement

units because of the law to stop producing R-22 equipment. So, instead of dropping more money into

them for a redesign, they oped to eliminate them all together..

Maybe I should start to build my own line?.. Lol

Some parts will still be available for a limited time from both company's.

Have a great day!
Nick-