Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 08-10-2010
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansax View Post
One thing I forgot to mention: the Cruise-Aire factory suffered a catastrophic fire several months back. There are no new ones being made right now & no plans to resume production in the future (because of some idiotic environmental rule) I am told. There are a number of HAVC service companies (including mine) that can rebuild the existing units. Some folks are opting to replace them with some of the new units designed for over the road trucks.

TOM
Tom,your company can get parts for the cruise-airs?
Tell us about that.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-10-2010
Black Sheep Division

Randy,

I can get some parts depending on what you need. Compressors were not made by Cruise-Aire. I can usually match up whatever is in the unit. The same goes for pressure switches, tubing, TXVs or orifices. Evaporators & condensers are harder although I have been able to find something close enough to fit the older style units so far. I have not tried to find any condenser or evaporator fan motors yet but I think I could. I mainly have repaired some units in my area (MD) because there is no one around who will even look at RV air conditioners.

Nick Badame in Cape May, NJ is a dealer for Cruise-Aire and several other RV specific products. He is a moderator over on the busconversions.com board and has an MCI he striped to the skeleton & converted. A super nice guy and very active in the bus conversions field. He still has a decent stock of parts the last time I heard from him. If you need controls or something specific, try him first. He may have what you need right on the shelf. His website is: http://www.nbadame.com

FYI, I have no connections to Nick other than knowing him from the bus board.

I can also look up the info for Christi Hicks Refrigeration in OK if there is anyone out there who is having problems. They are not dealers but have 4 bus conversions (including a Provost) with Cruise-Aires. They have a lot of experience with them. We have joked about whether or not that is a good thing!

HTH

TOM
Old 08-10-2010
Forum owner

thanks Tom,the guys here may need some parts one day.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-11-2010
Gardner

I got what I needed from AAP. They don't have any more TXV's, I got the last one they had. I also I got a new evaporator element (newer style that doesn't have a TXV) and it seems to be fine. Ask for their tech support, they knew what I was talking about and sent what I needed.

Then condenser fan motor is a standard Grainger part.

http://www.aap.com
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 08-12-2010

I was looking at Dometic's website yesterday (the 2 current Penguin 13,500's are not cutting the Tx heat) and noticed on their boats there's a product they're calling Cruisair. Is this the newer version of the same product?

BTW, we'll likely upgrade our forward AC to a Penguin 15k btu (keeping it low profile). If you have opinions or knowledge feel free to PM me. Don't want to derail this thread.

Ken - Austin, Texas - keeping Mom on the road in her '94 34' Safari Serengeti
- 250hp Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbo Diesel (#6 fuel plate, straight pipe, 3K Gov Spring, Timing @14.25°, Boost @21psi, Isspro gauges)

(HDT Coach or BMC & Stacker for me in the future.)
Old 08-12-2010
Gardner

Ken,
From the webpages I think they are only offering water-cooled condensers. I am not sure if an air-cooled condenser is still produced for this system. Dometic does make roof top units for RV's.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 08-12-2010

Can understand (and it makes perfect sense) that a boat would use air to water cooling. Better design. I just saw the brand and remembered this thread from a few days ago.

Already started a thread on Dometic Roof Airs we're looking at for a upgrade trying to beat the Texas Heat.

Ken - Austin, Texas - keeping Mom on the road in her '94 34' Safari Serengeti
- 250hp Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbo Diesel (#6 fuel plate, straight pipe, 3K Gov Spring, Timing @14.25°, Boost @21psi, Isspro gauges)

(HDT Coach or BMC & Stacker for me in the future.)