Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Default wiring a new inverter

My 88 PT38 still has the Pacs inverter. It works but puts out very high voltage. I have a brand new Samlex and have started the install. I am installing the control panel in the road side upper cupboard.Hhad to disassemble the china cabinet to get the wiring to the basement and across to a street side bay. One compartment has the Pacs and 2 chargers. One is a smart charger. The other is disconnected. I will be using the charger in the Samlex. Most of this is straight forward. However when I took the front panel off the 110 volt output there are 2 loomex cables one goes to the rear and disappears in the bowels of the Bird. I assume it goes to the breaker marked "inverter plugs" But another loomex is also connected to the same wires in the Pacs. It goes forward but I doubt I can follow it very far. Why would there be 2 outputs? Does it go to that box under the sink? Maybe to the ice maker? But where would it be fused? I installed a new inverter in our FC and did it outside in my yard. Was a breeze. This job is becoming more complicated as I progress. Or maybe I was younger and smarter!

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II

Last edited by Bruce; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:42 PM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

So I looked at the breaker panel and it shows one breaker for inverter and kitchen plugs. The box under the sink is marked INVERTER 00.ÉÉ

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Where is that ice maker realy in an 88 PT38? In my old FC it was under the sink. I did not see it under the sink in the PT. My inverter has a built in transfer switch. What will happen if I just leave the old relay in the circuit? Will it feed back current?
Thanks

Old 4 Weeks Ago

I guess I will have to answer my own query as no one seems to help. I found the relay under the sink It was high up just under the counter. I will keep working and find the answers to my other questions. Thanks.

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
Where is that ice maker realy in an 88 PT38? In my old FC it was under the sink. I did not see it under the sink in the PT. My inverter has a built in transfer switch. What will happen if I just leave the old relay in the circuit? Will it feed back current?
Thanks
Bruce,
Must be an off weekend, folks usually come on with answers pretty quickly. I don't know the answers as I am not sure about how it is wired on your coach. On my 86 PT-36 the Xantrex inverter/charger is wired the same as the original and the relays work just fine. There should be no feedback issue. Voltage from the invertr will pass through the relays and supply the outlets/etc. The new inverter transfers shore power when not inverting, but shore power from the main breaker panel will pick the relays disconnecting the inverter output connection. There should be NO feedback. When on shore power the outlets/etc will be supplied from the breakers on the main panel.

An IMPORTANT thing to remember, when on shore power, if you trip the outlet breaker(s) on the main panel, the relays will drop and apply shore power from the inverter to the outlets. So if you are working on the circuit you need to disable the inverter supply as well!!
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:36 PM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanks Gardner. That is how I wired the FC. But I was younger and smarter then! A fellow BB friend is helping me via email. he suggested I open up the box with the transfer switch and just join the wires. He is worried about a "loop". I guess my ignorance was bliss Thank you again. You restored my "faith".

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
Thanks Gardner. That is how I wired the FC. But I was younger and smarter then! A fellow BB friend is helping me via email. he suggested I open up the box with the transfer switch and just join the wires. He is worried about a "loop". I guess my ignorance was bliss Thank you again. You restored my "faith".

Bruce,
I got it backwards The shore power picks the relays and connects shore power to the outlets/etc. The inverter output is connected when the relays are NOT PICKED. My brain needs a power-on reset
It makes sense as it would be inefficient to waste power picking the relays when running on inverter
I edited my update to correct it.

As far as your friends suggestion:
A fellow BB friend is helping me via email. he suggested I open up the box with the transfer switch and just join the wires

Joining wires at the transfer switch makes no sense unless you mean to disable the 30 amp inputs and use that position for the inverter. The output power from the inverter cannot be connected to a live circuit.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:50 PM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Are you pulling input power for the new charger/inverter from one of battery charger outlets? Then the output from the inverter just goes to the original circuit?
kg4rrx@gmail.com 404-547-1951
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Chris: yes that is exactly what I am doing. I have 2 output circuits on the inverter and I have 2 output wires. The original owner had the inverter powering stuff in the passenger side upper cupboards. That is great as my sat rcvr. and Blu Ray are all in the upper cupboard. Last year I ran an HDMI cable in case I needed it for a HD rcvr. Looks like direct tv is changing and I will need that cable Working on an FC is much easier than a PT. I still miss my 88. The battery charger outlet is on a 30 amp breaker. I will take the outllet from the box and wire the inverter direct. I left one of my chargers in place just in case I have an emergency. It is a smart charger. My FC still had the battery boiler!!!

Old 4 Weeks Ago

I would just wire it to all the stuff in the bus' main panel and undo all this half-assery, but that might be more work than it's worth, too. Do you have a spare 30a input on your transfer switch?