Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 02-09-2009
Medicup

Unhappy 1974 Allison MT40 controls

Hi,

I have a 1974 FC31 with an Allison MT40 transmission. It has a control I am not familiar with and cannot find any explaination for it in any of the forums or databases. It appears to be a clutch pedal attached to a cable that goes to some sort of valve on the right side of the transmission where the cooler hoses come off. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Old 02-09-2009

That my friend is your retarder pedal for slowing the coach and not burning out the brakes. good design works well
Old 02-09-2009
Medicup

Default Ah hah!

can't wait to try it out, someone had disconnected it.

Thanks alot.
Old 02-09-2009
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Default Retarder operation

Hi Alan,

Just in case your warning label is missing you need to know to watch the transmission fluid temperature when using the Retarder. You should either have a warning light or a temperature gauge to let you know when the Transmission fluid is getting too hot. The max fluid temperature for the transmission is 330 degrees so if you reach that or the warning light comes on you have to stop using the Retarder and use the brakes until the temperature comes back down.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 02-10-2009

Ya got I think 4 ranges past neutral, ya use the one closest to neutral like D. (3-6) The second one back (3-5) for country two lanes and the third (3-4) one back for city traffic. Last one for camp grounds and creeper applications. Trans takes off in third gear except creeper (1-2). The trans is a three speed with a splitter that provides 6 forward speeds, a lock up converter and a internal retarder. The trans is known for breaking input shafts so ya want to be gentle with it. To get all 6 gears you need to manually shift up through the ranges, not a good idea for continous use. Most operation should be done in 3-6 or 3-5. Heed the comments about over heat from excessive retarder use, max temps from the Allison shop manual are 250 in the pan, 300 at the to cooler trans line, and 380 to cooler trans line retarter operation. I personally would be a little paranoid to see the dextron cook up to 380. The to cooler port is the forward line on the retarder valve body.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 02-10-2009

"The trans is known for breaking input shafts" didnt know that Mike thanks. Mine was clanging a bit on lock up when I first got it but seems to be better after I changed the fluid. The guy that had it before lived in the mountains and used the retarder a lot and maybe cooked the fluid. I cant even imagine living with this beast in mountainous areas. I also had the assists rebuilt on the bakes, the fluid changed and linings checked. Air brakes would be a real improvement
Old 02-10-2009
Medicup

Thumbs up Hot oil

Thanks for all the additional ionformation and cautions. I guess I'll go ahead and fix that broken wire to the temperature sensor on the cooler line.
Old 02-10-2009

Bear in mind if your vacuum assists go out on your brakes you will have 0 brakes. and for god sakes if you have split rims make sure your tires are tip top with no weather checking.I can send you a pic of what happens when they blow. My split ring is still sailing out in the desert by Tuscon
Old 07-12-2017

Rob, I have a 35' 391 gasser with allison MT40, oh my god is it slowwww.... what are you getting on flats and hills? Im getting top end on flats 60mph and on hills oh boy I could get real slow, what's trick shift down and let her scream?

Isaac Benedek
San Diego, CA
1969 FC35 FORD 391 ALLISON MT40 steady old bird.
Old 07-12-2017
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine11harley View Post
Rob, I have a 35' 391 gasser with allison MT40, oh my god is it slowwww.... what are you getting on flats and hills? Im getting top end on flats 60mph and on hills oh boy I could get real slow, what's trick shift down and let her scream?
This is an 8YO thread,Rob may not have been here in a while.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com