Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Ernie Ekberg's Remodeling and Repair

Site Search:

Old 10-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaaksma View Post
Even better yet, get an outdoor wood furnace and plumb it into your existing coolant system for $6000.

Ding, ding, ding, ding... you get the prize for the best answer that I've read yet! Keep the fire outside and the heat in the chassis hydronic system. All it would require is a circulating pump and 12V power to the convector fans under the couch, bed, etc... You could tap in at the Sporlan Valves with a Tee connection and a few extra fittings. Currently, the chassis heaters are turn on with the ignition, so you would need to find the correct breaker and relocate the source voltage wire to a constant 12V supply.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912

Last edited by sfedeli; 10-04-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-04-2015

That's what the guy I posted about did... Really cool and cheap setup
1984 FC35RB Sold
Old 10-04-2015
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

We have a couple Birders on this Forum with more modern machines than FCs. These are equipped with hydronic systems (circulating hot water) fired by diesel or propane and these coaches have heated basements. Even so, stuff freezes and brakes. Within the past few years they have spent winters on their Birds, one in New Hampshire, and another in Ohio. Both had horrible experiences and will never do it again.

As Shane stated, these machines were not designed for extended stays in subfreezing temps.

We had our FC covered and plugged in in New Hampshire for a couple winters. There was antifreeze in the plumbing. Although I would heat it up to work on it, would have been very difficult to avoid plumbing freeze ups if I tried to keep the plumbing operational.

You should know the FCs were designed with anti-freeze heaters. Most of them are wires wrapped around pipes and there were appliance style space heaters with t-stats under the beds to keep the fresh water tanks from freezing. Also, heat strips extending into the dump tanks and even battery heaters. These are dangerous and should not be used. fire hazards. It's unlikely these have been updated on your coach. I'm not aware of any vintage coaches that have been upgraded with newer versions of these anti- freeze heaters. I suspect they never worked well from day one.

How are you going to keep your dump tanks and valves from freezing? When they do how are you going to thaw them?

Living on a Bird in sub freezing winter is a bad idea. Living on Bird in sub freezing temps with wood stove is crazy bad idea.

Best way to winterize a Bird so you can live on it is to find a way to take it south!

That's what Bird's do!

Good luck!

NH Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898

Last edited by NH Bill; 10-04-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedeli View Post
Ding, ding, ding, ding... you get the prize for the best answer that I've read yet! Keep the fire outside and the heat in the chassis hydronic system. All it would require is a circulating pump and 110V power to the convector fans under the couch, bed, etc... You could tap in at the Sporlan Valves with a Tee connection and a few extra fittings.
Yes, this would work, you would still have to keep the dump tanks and valves from freezing. I guess you could build a skirt around it and heat that too.

Another way would be to park it in a heated barn that is close to a septic dump.
St. Petersburg, Florida
Old 10-04-2015

I can't see a good outcome in taking something that enjoys at least part of its appeal from being transportable and making it reliant on a heating source that makes it pretty much stationary. I remember what it's like to feed a wood stove. It takees a lot of wood and wood is heavy. You can't drag a trailer full of wood with you everywhere you go. Or at least easily.
I think you'll ruin the chance of selling the bird to someone else. You'll have a one-of-a-kind and they don't sell easily. Folks think that if it was such a great idea they would see bunches ob Bluebirds going hither and yon sporting somkestacks belching smoke from wood de jour.
Don't do it. There used to be a saying in the real estate business that "Noah put two of everything on the Ark. If there is one dumb enough to build it, there's one dumb enough to buy it." It's true but in your case is the next buyer going to be a user or a crusher.
Just my thoughts but I'm wrong a lot more often than I'm right. She keeps telling me that and I'm starting to believe it.

Bob Sumners
1993 WB
1983 PT35 Sold
Old 10-04-2015

In my early 20's i lived in a 8x40 park model trailer that i put back in the woods behind our barn . I installed an old wood heater in it and it did ok . I used it as my only heat source after my electric heater almost burned it down .

Main problems :
House would get very hot inside after stoking .
House would get very cold inside if the fire burnt down . Had to get up every 3or 4 hours to stoke it .
Temperature was never equal in the house .
Had to keep the wood cut and dry .
Had to clean the ashes out every day.
Had to clean up around the heater every day .

Nice things :
House smelled like campfire
I liked watching it burn
Wood for me was free

On our coach , we installed an electric fireplace . It puts out a decent amount of heat and is nice to watch. We use it year round , the light show works when the heat is off . We also use the toe kick heater in the bathroom . When those are not enough , we have a couple of portable electric heaters . If the temperature gets down below the upper 20's we put an electric heater in the basement to keep the water lines from freezing .
We are also installing a gas line so we can hook up a 20,000 btu blue flame lpg heater for emergency if the power is out . We removed the non-working Suburban furnace when we installed the new refrigerator .
318-553-4186
1994 BMC 37' "Sold"
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1986 F150
KE5WCW
Old 10-04-2015

http://www.pearson323.com/projects/salvation.html check it out, as a kid I sailed occasionally on a family friends 42' Cheoy Lee that had a beautiful wood stove, really
Cape Cod,ma
Old 10-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crit Bliss View Post
http://www.pearson323.com/projects/salvation.html check it out, as a kid I sailed occasionally on a family friends 42' Cheoy Lee that had a beautiful wood stove, really
Wow, that beautiful!

Still can't imagine a wood stove being a successful way of heating a Bird through a cold climate winter.
St. Petersburg, Florida
Old 10-04-2015
Can't re-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
Wondering if anyone has installed a wood stove into their Bluebird before? I'm thinking this might be a good upgrade if I can make space. I plan to live in my RV over the Winter and think a wood stove would ad charm and help to save on propane costs.

There is a really nice stove on the market right now called hobbit stove. These are made especially for small spaces and are very efficient. They are a bit pricy but would pay themselves off in about a year.
http://www.hobbitnorthamerica.com/
Please don't butcher a good Wanderlodge by sticking a stove pipe through the roof. Unless it's already sitting on blocks. Sorry but I can't think of any other way to word it.

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 10-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedeli View Post
Ding, ding, ding, ding... you get the prize for the best answer that I've read yet! Keep the fire outside and the heat in the chassis hydronic system. All it would require is a circulating pump and 12V power to the convector fans under the couch, bed, etc... You could tap in at the Sporlan Valves with a Tee connection and a few extra fittings. Currently, the chassis heaters are turn on with the ignition, so you would need to find the correct breaker and relocate the source voltage wire to a constant 12V supply.
My pro heat does that, can buy a lot of diesel for $6k,
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/