Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV

Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV Ready to take the plunge or looking to upgrade and you have questions? Folks are standing by ready to help.

Site Search:

Old 12-09-2019
Forum owner

Your info on the AC clutch is good,but i don't think the fan clutch works the same way.
I assumed it did when i rebuilt the first one,but later on after talking with Chap about it and rebuilding a few more of them i don't think the clutch faces touch.
When engaged.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-30-2019
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

The saga continues...

Before I begin.. Special Thanx to Mike Hohnstein for sharing some of his wisdom!

Really trying to complete this engine troubleshooting by Q, I'd hate to miss another year! Definitely a miss. I pulled the passenger side valve cover and checked all the adapters for the injectors and they tested good. Next week I'll pull the driver's side and check those. Still having trouble identifying the bad injector path.

If the driver's side checks good then the big question, take it to WW Williams and pay through the nose OR invest $800 and replace all the injectors and hope that fixes the issue AND I don't cause any other issues doing it?

I did find an issue with the fuel supply plumbing that I'd hoped would have ended this story but no... Runs better, got another 5mph out of her but sadly the miss remains. I found a "T" after the fuel filter and one line went to the pump, the other simply went down to the ground as a drain??? There is a drain on the return line from the pump with a valve on it so you can open it and purge, but the after the filter without a valve? I removed it and re-plumbed the fuel line.

I've ordered a new tach as the stock one isn't accurate enough nor stable enough to use for any troubleshooting. Currently I can hit 55-60mph full throttle, but I don't know the rpm and I'm not against the governor due to the miss.

I have a few questions about the 83 now that i'm hip deep into her;

1) Expected top/cruise speeds people are seeing? (4.89 rear)
2) I'm finding two different types of injector adapters, see pics
3) I cannot get the buzzer to stop and the only fault light on the dash is "door lock"? Is that one of the two button switches at the top of the door?
4) how do you raise the TV antenna?
5) anyone really use their bulk oiler in an FC? I'm thinking about removing it so you can access the engine better. How much oil did they think an FC burns anyway?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191228_110612 (1024x993).jpg
Views:	57
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	65684   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191228_143927 (1024x472).jpg
Views:	60
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	65685   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191229_095730 (1024x472).jpg
Views:	60
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	65686   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191229_102052 (1024x472).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	65687   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191229_121917 (1024x472).jpg
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	65688   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191229_132524 (967x1024).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	65689   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191229_113151 (837x1024).jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	65690  
eMail=[EMAIL="Mike.Putz@cox.net"]Mike.Putz@cox.net[/EMAIL] | Web=[url]http://mikeputz.com/[/url][COLOR=#0000ff]
Solar = [url]https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][I]FMCA #236459, [/I][I]Good Sam #17270530, [/I][I]Vintage Birds #1509[/I][/FONT][/CENTER]
Old 12-30-2019

Mike,

I have an 83, 250HP Turbo, 4.89 rear. Redline 2600 RPM (tag on valve cover). Top speed at 2600 is about 65 MPH. My sweet spot for cruising is 57 to 60 mph, that is where the best hill climbing is.

I've never seen under the valve covers so I can't help on the injector adapters.

My buzzers were out of control too. The one that fails most often is Engine Alarm. The indicator light doesn't light 80% of the time. I finally put a switch on it one time I had the dashboard apart because it was driving me nuts. Someday I'll find the controller and try to get that system functioning correctly. Occasionally the Headlight buzzer goes off, for that the indicator light is lit. I discovered that turning the headlights on will silence the buzzer and turn off the light. Restarting the engine seems to clear whatever problem causes this.

The switch for my TV antenna is in the small compartment forward from the door on the passenger side. It is labeled TV Antenna Up Down.

I have never used my bulk oiler. As a matter of fact I just got an AC air compressor with the idea of removing the tank and mounting the compressor in the compartment where the bulk tank is now. I'll be at Q if anyone wants the old bulk oiler, if you help me take it out it's yours. My 3208 doesn't use much oil. From Vermont to California it used 2 quarts.

I hope that helps! Looking forward to seeing you at Q.
clyndes@gmail.com
http://blog.livinglearningmobile.com/
Old 12-30-2019

Adapters are early and late, seen early type fail twice, once on my FC, second time on a customer N/A. Upper example is the late type, get them all out, suspect one will be blocked. More air flow when checking toward the nozzle, less from nozzle side, should give a little clunk when checking nozzle side. If blocked it will have significantly less flow thru, in my experience none.
Lose the oil system.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 12-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post
... Is Plan C at the ready for WT, Q??? and BC Picacho Peak SP?...
Same question as two months ago

I know someone who’ll be at Q with some extra juice for that GeoPro rental
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	84F64BE9-1519-4D98-A581-1EF9E6AEFC3B.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	65698  
Old 01-05-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post
Same question as two months ago

I know someone who’ll be at Q with some extra juice for that GeoPro rental
U FUNNY!

Update, still hunting down the mystery engine issue;

I found two bad injector adapters #1 & #5. #1 the guts were missing so straight through, #5 couldn't blow through with air nozzle and when reversed the guts flew out. I replaced them and took a test drive… same issue. Top speed 55-60, feels weak, and idle still has a slight miss.

Taking temps of the headers the passenger bank was 100 degrees hotter than the drivers bank. So I loaded up the engine in gear at 1400 rpm and cracked 1,3,5,7. I couldn’t tell a drop in rpm with #5 that now has the new adapter. I was able to remove the injector (with difficulty, no tool) and replaced it with a rebuilt I bought at CAT. After replacing it the engine seemed to run smoother and I got excited. I took it for a test ride and still 55-60 mph and still felt anemic, but smoother.

Just seems like it wasn’t getting all the fuel it needed even though both filters are new. I have no rpm gauge, no fuel filter gauge and no pyrometer. I purchased a new alternator driven tach and will try to set that up today.

I’m not getting any black smoke at all under full load. I adjusted the internal throttle stop 2 turns out, and tried full throttle – no smoke. I turned it another 2 turns out and still no smoke. I took it for a test drive and now have much better low end power but same 55-60 top end and feels weak there. I read an article that suggested the turbo model didn't really need this stop so will play with that a little more.

There was also a pool of fuel in the valley. This pump was supposed to have been replaced in the last few years so I need to identify where that’s coming from. If all goes well today I'll repeat the injector testing by cracking fuel lines under load again today, get back to basics.

But I really need to get that tach working and figure out how to calibrate it. I'm not running up against a governor like on my 78FC where the engine quits running until the RPMs drop so not sure I'm getting max rpm's now?

The "fun" continues....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Engine work (1024x472).jpg
Views:	36
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	65738   Click image for larger version

Name:	injector tip (1024x792).jpg
Views:	29
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	65739  
eMail=[EMAIL="Mike.Putz@cox.net"]Mike.Putz@cox.net[/EMAIL] | Web=[url]http://mikeputz.com/[/url][COLOR=#0000ff]
Solar = [url]https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][I]FMCA #236459, [/I][I]Good Sam #17270530, [/I][I]Vintage Birds #1509[/I][/FONT][/CENTER]
Old 01-05-2020
Forum owner

We had an owner of an SP some years ago with a problem kinda like yours,he found his fuel return line from the pump back to the tank was plugged up.
It was the short (maybe 24'') line from the pump area to the front of the bus where it was connected to the line that runs back to the tank.
You would need to swing the rad to get the hose off i think.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-05-2020

My return line is on top of the injection pump and accessible from inside
Cape Cod,ma
Old 01-05-2020
Forum owner

Bruce Campbell had the return line leaking right through the fabric of the hose,pin holes everywhere.
That may be where Putz's leak is from.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-05-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crit Bliss View Post
My return line is on top of the injection pump and accessible from inside
Yes, I can get to it from inside no problem with the dog house removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
We had an owner of an SP some years ago with a problem kinda like yours,he found his fuel return line from the pump back to the tank was plugged up.
It was the short (maybe 24'') line from the pump area to the front of the bus where it was connected to the line that runs back to the tank.
You would need to swing the rad to get the hose off i think.
Thanx Randy didn't think of that. I can get to it from inside and will put an air nozzle to it today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Bruce Campbell had the return line leaking right through the fabric of the hose,pin holes everywhere.
That may be where Putz's leak is from.
Good info for sure! I'll let you know!