Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 01-09-2020

Default Looking for solar/lithium installer.

I’m looking for someone who can install solar & lithium and upgrade the inverter in a SP36 during the latter part of April. Preferably along the I40 corridor between flagstaff and Texas.

89 SP36
16 Jeep Rubicon
Old 01-09-2020

Did you contact Mike Putz? I believe he offers those services.
He is a regular contributor here.

Doug
Ex-PT36
Old 01-10-2020

Northern Arizona Wind and Sun in Flagstaff is a good place to buy all the parts.
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.
Old 01-10-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Northern Arizona Wind and Sun in Flagstaff is a good place to buy all the parts.
Dave , I think Putz only works with Golf cart Batteries , not Lith lol . Sorry Mike couldn't resist

2000 LXI Single Slide (sold)
1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 01-13-2020
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnest W9EEW View Post
I’m looking for someone who can install solar & lithium and upgrade the inverter in a SP36 during the latter part of April. Preferably along the I40 corridor between flagstaff and Texas.
Hey Earnest, Unfortunately I'm pretty tied up first half of the year. However Northern Arizona Wind and Sun in Flagstaff is a real good source. If If they don't do installs then I'd just get the Lithium batteries from them and source everything else with Solar Penney here locally in Mesa, they will install. Currently I typically install the panels and he does the wiring/controller. I see your email and will reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW SD View Post
Did you contact Mike Putz? I believe he offers those services. He is a regular contributor here.
Doug
Thanx Doug, I do a lot of work on buses but unfortunately between work and my new bus purchase I'm pretty bogged down now. Looking to retire in about 18 months then will be doing a lot more of these "services"

Quote:
Originally Posted by al perna View Post
Dave , I think Putz only works with Golf cart Batteries , not Lith lol . Sorry Mike couldn't resist
Hey Al, currently you are correct. Wet cell and AGM at the moment. Still researching Lithium (in my free time) but will be going in that direction in about 2 years full time. As it stands now too expensive and you really need a good environment to mount them in, the old battery locations is not it. Too much heat to be exposed to and that will degrade lithium's.
eMail=[EMAIL="Mike.Putz@cox.net"]Mike.Putz@cox.net[/EMAIL] | Web=[url]http://mikeputz.com/[/url][COLOR=#0000ff]
Solar = [url]https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][I]FMCA #236459, [/I][I]Good Sam #17270530, [/I][I]Vintage Birds #1509[/I][/FONT][/CENTER]
Old 01-14-2020

Default Considered DIY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnest W9EEW View Post
I’m looking for someone...
  1. With one or two exceptions, most here on the WOG - DIY their own systems. However, they do it as a hobby and aren’t interested in doing it professionally. It’s rare to find one who I’d trust with my install if I were in that market
  2. Professionals with solar “businesses” usually charge crazy prices for their installs because people will pay it. Their work may or may not be well designed. Some are well done, many are not
  3. Learn what you need & want. There are many YouTube videos out there. There’s also lots of bad ones produced by good videographers who are bad solar/battery installers. Even if you can’t do your own install, at least you will know a good system from one that’s not. More importantly, you’ll also be able to easily tell when a potential installer knows their “stuff” vs not
  4. Go to a rally. You’ll learn a lot just by talking to those who have solar and bigger/custom battery setups on their rigs. I’m headed to the Q rally this week. There are always several regulars there who are happy to talk solar & batteries
  5. In general, when shopping for big ticket solar stuff avoid venues like the Q Big Tent. There are some deals (if you know what you’re looking for), but also lots of overpriced & overhyped junk sold by the quick buck crowd
  6. Maybe not this year, but I’m considering upgrading my 1,260 Ah AGM L-16 coach batteries to lithium. One can build their own for around $500/100 Ah and slightly less if scaled to 1,000+ Ah. Not drop-in like BattleBorn’s but also 1/2 the price with the side benefits of knowing how they work & “free” maintenance when needed
  7. Like Putz says - lithiums are still too expensive right now and more importantly for he and I operating in the desert SW, they don’t like environmental “challenges”
  8. Good luck finding that installer
Added: His voice may be annoying and he doesn’t do installs, but Will has some highly informative solar/lithium videos on YouTube & his website specs out some excellent options:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/errolprowse

Last edited by NoGas; 01-14-2020 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Added reference links