Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 4 Weeks Ago

He just posted his next project is another Wanderlodge!
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Default That's My Bus

I am really glad that I was able to get Scott to come and work over my bus.
As a new owner, I've learned a ton working beside him on this project. Had I taken it to any other shop, I would still be as ignorant today as the day I bought the bus (and a whole lot poorer too).
I'm awed by Scott's knowledge and thoroughness, and I'm pleased that we're getting all of these areas in top working order. He's very analytical, and good explainer too.
Considering what good overall shape this 1987 PT is, I am really surprised that so many of these problems existed. Oddly, several hundred miles of driving it did not indicate any of the issues we've uncovered.
As we got further into this, it was apparent that routine and preventative maintenance has not been preformed for some time. It's good to know that it will be mostly all up to date now, and done right.
I know all about the $5000 (+/-) a year we're supposed to budget for upkeep. It seems I'm paying for several years of the former owner(s) share now.
STILL, I couldn't be more pleased that I am the current caretaker of such a fantastic machine. The coach really is in terrific condition for its age, and it has obviously been well cared for through the years. I hope I can do it justice.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Beautiful bus Robert, I enjoyed watching the YouTube videos
Cape Cod,ma
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Wow, I met him once while he was working on a bunch (3) of busses for homeless ‘kids’ (20 somethings, my words). The project was funded by a church in Fort Myers Beach. Another church even gifted an old Eagle to one. Scott went on a road trip to Georgia to help them it back to Fort Myers. Made me wonder how they be able to afford even Diesel, but 2 of them drove off. The daughter of an older guy there got a schoolie (Scott went with her to get it). I think she is still posting on YouTube. I like the guy. He has a lot going on and keeps it together and seems real genuine.

That’s a real nice coach Robert. I watched you getting in there and really working. Awesome. I wish I was still in business. We used to have a shop about half the size of yours. After watching the work I’m planning on pulling all my wheels and brake drums off this spring and inspect everything. Had the coach a year , got about a thousand miles on. Has an inspection at a local shop but I don’t trust them now.
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835

Last edited by ChrisRasman; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:09 AM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRasman View Post
Wow, I met him once while he was working on a bunch (3) of busses for homeless ‘kids’ (20 somethings, my words). The project was funded by a church in Fort Myers Beach. Another church even gifted an old Eagle to one. Scott went on a road trip to Georgia to help them it back to Fort Myers. Made me wonder how they be able to afford even Diesel, but 2 of them drove off. The daughter of an older guy there got a schoolie (Scott went with her to get it). I think she is still posting on YouTube. I like the guy. He has a lot going on and keeps it together and seems real genuine.

That’s a real nice coach Robert. I watched you getting in there and really working. Awesome. I wish I was still in business. We used to have a shop about half the size of yours. After watching the work I’m planning on pulling all my wheels and brake drums off this spring and inspect everything. Had the coach a year , got about a thousand miles on. Has an inspection at a local shop but I don’t trust them now.
At least crawl under there with a flashlight or your phone to check out the drums and shoes. And then the slacks while you're in there, if you can reach. I don't really trust anyone to work on anything any more.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

and some ask me why I don't sell out and retire............
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Well the good new is a prefab garage is going up next week. Small, but it will give me the room to get it out of the weather and about 5 feet all the way around to work on it. I should be able to push it to one side to get more room to sort any heavy work. I have two other sheds on the property where I keep tools, compressor, welding, wood and neon shops in. Now I may have to go to work from time to time to keep the coach up. I see that plenty in the community (on YouTube).
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
At least crawl under there with a flashlight or your phone to check out the drums and shoes. And then the slacks while you're in there, if you can reach. I don't really trust anyone to work on anything any more.
Thanks Andy. I will. I have enough gear and soon a place to work on it. Pneumatic 20 ton jack and 20 ton jacks stands. And some wood to crib it. Another project I got in the works is converting the rust and coating it. I’ll be under it quite a bit in the off season(s). I should get a better look at the axels before the end of February.
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
Jeff. I did not think any PT's had auto slacks.
Yes they are definitely auto slacks... not sure what year they became prevalent, I have checked them all and greased them. But I have read many other threads on here about these style slacks not working very well... when I get back from this weekend at Daytona I am going to replace them with new ones.

Here in this video you can see me backing the auto slacks off:
https://youtu.be/r4E_3O7bByQ

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Troit View Post
I am really glad that I was able to get Scott to come and work over my bus.
As a new owner, I've learned a ton working beside him on this project. Had I taken it to any other shop, I would still be as ignorant today as the day I bought the bus (and a whole lot poorer too).
I'm awed by Scott's knowledge and thoroughness, and I'm pleased that we're getting all of these areas in top working order. He's very analytical, and good explainer too.
Considering what good overall shape this 1987 PT is, I am really surprised that so many of these problems existed. Oddly, several hundred miles of driving it did not indicate any of the issues we've uncovered.
As we got further into this, it was apparent that routine and preventative maintenance has not been preformed for some time. It's good to know that it will be mostly all up to date now, and done right.
I know all about the $5000 (+/-) a year we're supposed to budget for upkeep. It seems I'm paying for several years of the former owner(s) share now.
STILL, I couldn't be more pleased that I am the current caretaker of such a fantastic machine. The coach really is in terrific condition for its age, and it has obviously been well cared for through the years. I hope I can do it justice.
Hey Robert , beautiful coach and your shop is even better. I can enjoyed watching the work being done. Looks like your ready for some road trips.