Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Coaches Wanted

Coaches Wanted Looking to buy a particular coach? Place your request here.

Site Search:

Old 05-25-2011

Smile Advice appreciated-total newbie

Hi all! We will be upgrading from a Lazy Daze 26' (anyone want to trade down to a class C?). We have learned a few things, but I have a huge gap in knowledge, when it comes to Blue Birds. I know we want twin beds, and would prefer no slide (one in living room would be the most we would take), as we do a lot of "stealth" camping. It seems the wide bodies would be better, given the no slides, but I am open to input on that.

We are planning to spend between $50k and $70k (lower, of course would be better, as I know I need some margin, plus I would want to add solar if it didn't have it).

Beyond that, I am not sure what I should look for. I think I would prefer a shorter one with no tag axle, but am open to discussion on that, as well. We also like to camp in national forests, national park campgrounds, etc, and after a 26', even a 36' would seem spacious to us.

If it makes a difference, we will be full timing; our plan is to spend about 4 months a year on the Texas coast, and travel 8.

Having said all that, If anyone has advice on things I should think about, be concerned with, avoid, etc, etc, please chime in, and thank you in advance for your time and help.
2010 Honda Element -- "Shadow"

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost." -- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Last edited by inflt; 05-25-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-25-2011

Well, You know how opinions are. Everyone has one. I have a 36pt and it is great but I know if I was full timing or even half timing I would go for a bigger bird. Having said that if you are set on a shorter bird and no tag the Wanderlodge SP would be a good place to start looking. Not sure what years they were produced but mid eighties through about 91 I think. Good all around coach. Check Randy's site he has several nice ones I'd be looking at if I didn't own one. Good luck in the search. Have fun and welcome to the group.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 05-25-2011

SP was built 89-92. For you budget you could also look at 37' BMC, 94-97 years. BMC might be a wide body, SP is standard body.
Old 05-25-2011

The BMC would be a good choice--Lee & Jacque Davis have full timed in theirs for some time and seem to be happy with the coach. Also, Randy has a '95 low mileage wide body wanderlodge with twins on BuyByeBluebird for $67K.
Cat 3208ATAAC-300
12.5kw Kohler/Yanmar (w/slide)
"Magic carpet made of steel"
Steve Goodman 1970

"You never fail until you stop trying".
Old 05-25-2011

Smile thanks guys, .... and ....

I looked on Randy's model explanation link, but didn't find BMC. What are it's distinguishing characteristics?

Also, I saw a couple where the description mentioned that owner had a "blue box". What is the significance of that?

Again, thanks for taking your time to respond.

Lee
2010 Honda Element -- "Shadow"

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost." -- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Old 05-25-2011

BMC is a bird built on a Spartan chassis. This is good or bad depending on how you look at it. Cummins engine, so better fuel mileage and a chassis that other RV's are built on, so maybe a mechanic would be more familiar with it to work on. But, maybe not quite as stout a chassis, so long term issues (meaning if you're driving it 100k yr, you'll actually wear it out in 10 years or so ).

The blue box is the box with all the owners manuals and assorted paperwork that that coach has. It is indispensable! Though, you can essentially build a box from the data files here on WOG.

Given what you're looking to do with a bird, I might consider an FC. Much less investment, bigger and stouter than the Lazy Daze, but still small enough to easily get around to the smaller and tighter parks. You could have a lot of fun with one of those.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 05-25-2011

there are no bad things about a BMC
Single axle wide body no tag
cummins 8.3
allison 3060 world transmission
most of the options of the upscale widebody
notably still has factory suppport on the chassis and engine form spartan

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267 or 905 246 4295
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 05-25-2011
davidmbrady

I love the exterior styling of the BMC; interiors are typical wanderlodge, and the chassis manufacturer, Spartan, is still in business and providing support. An interesting tidbit about the BMC is that it has two height control valves (HCV's) on the steer axle and one on the drive. With this setup I'd expect quick turn-in and responsive handling. The BMC's along with the SP's are great choices for folks in the market for a shorter non-tag axle diesel pusher.
Old 05-25-2011
cmillsap

First of all, let me say that a Lazy Daze class c is a well built conversion. Their box is very strong. This is one of their best selling features and is why they have refused to add slides to the structure. I haven’t followed them lately, so I don’t know if marketplace pressures have forced them into adding slides to their later models or not. So if that’s one of the reasons why you’re looking at a Bluebird; you cannot beat their strong and solid construction.

Secondly, I am not aware of any Bluebird in your price range that would be equipped with a slide since (I believe) the first year was 1999 (maybe ’98) for slides. In today’s marketplace (at your price points) you can find excellent buys on Bluebirds in the mid and upper ‘80’s models. You might even find a mid ’90’s BMC model in your price range. Some of these models will be in great shape and some not so good based on the level of maintenance and use.

A Bluebird of that vintage will probably require some expense after purchase for repairs and/or updating. These are sophisticated and complicated machines. They seem to always need something fixed, replaced of repaired, even the newer models. If the members of this forum are any indication, I would guess that 9 out of 10 owners of Bluebirds range from knowledgeable “Gear Heads” to persons with a higher than average mechanical ability. If they were not in that category when they purchased their first Bluebird, they have acquired that ability after a year or two out of necessity. Knowledgeable Bluebird mechanics are scarce and there is no Bluebird factory repair facility anymore. No more Bluebirds are being built. This forum is your best source for information on keeping your ‘bird in good running order. These forum members are more than willing and will go out of their way to help fellow ‘Bird owners keep their bus running properly. Granted, there are a few places in the eastern portion of the U.S. that still employ some knowledgeable Bluebird mechanics, but not many. I am not aware of any west of the Mississippi River. So, what I’m saying is; if you’re not mechanically inclined or have no mechanical experience or if you aren’t willing to do (or learn to do) some of your own repairs, you should consider this before buying a Bluebird.

Someone will correct me if I’m wrong but I’m thinking that a 36 footer is about the shortest BB made after 1985, so if you’re intent is to use the National and State parks, many of them will not accommodate a 36 footer. Also, appliances that operate on propane are important if you intend to boon dock much. Shorter Bluebirds are available in the earlier years. Solar panels would need to be added if you want them.

Regarding your need for twin beds, there are some BB floor plans in that group that incorporate twin beds.

I hope the above hasn’t scared you off from buying a “Bird. As you probably have noticed by now, when it comes to moterhomes, these Bluebird owners are a unique group, they love and enjoy their ’Birds. They also enjoy working on them and sharing their knowledge with others.

Chuck
Old 05-25-2011

I am familiar with Lazy Daze Class Cs - superb build quality.

For your Bluebird education, start here: www.vintagebirds.com/ Read the history section, and year by year history section.

For non tag axle coaches center in on: 1987-1989 FC (35 foot), the SP models (36 foot), and 1994 - 1997 BMC 37' models.

Here on WOG, read posts in this section: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...splay.php?f=57 (BMC Section)