Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 07-27-2011

Default Cracked ceramic tile

Must be my day for searching out flaws....while cleaning the ceramic tile in my kitchen, I found a a corner of of one of the tiles that has a nice "hairline" crack. In addition, the grout in that corner of the cracked tile is loose.

I don't want it to get any worse, so short of removing it, what can I use to to "fasten" it down? Super glue? Some other thin adhesive, that will get down in the crack and under the grout?
Old 07-27-2011
Forum Moderator

Tommy I had a couple of cracked tiles in my 94 and they didn't get any worse over the years I owned it. I wouldn't worry about it. It's cracked now and most likely won't develop any further cracks. I found it impossible to find an accurate tile replacement.
Old 07-27-2011

Tommie,
We had cracked tile in bathroom which led to our finding a shower pipe leak. had done beaucoup damage which insurance covered - replacing floor and tile, but did not cover the $5 broken part.

Ed & Carolyn Nowokunski
95BMC37 - Thunderchief
The Great Outdoors (TGO)
Titusville, Florida
Old 07-27-2011

Tommy:
I agree with Rob. We have one cracked tile in the kitchen, been that way since before we bought the coach, hasn't gotten worse or loose or changed in any way. Ann pointed out a smaller crack in a bathroom tile which is so small I had never noticed it.
The kitchen one is the result of the cooktop cover (Corian) sliding off and hitting the tile on the floor. A small corner of the cooktop cover is also missing. Neither one is urging me to fix it.
Enough other things to fix before that.
Old 07-27-2011

Tommy,

You can probably get some "thin set" tile glue and glue the grout down. You'll probably have to buy 100 times more than you'll need by amount. Is the corner loose or just cracked?

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 07-27-2011

All,

Thanks for your response. I too have 3 or so hairline cracks in my tile and they have not gotten worse nor have they come loose. The one I'm concered about however is a crack across a corner and the "triangular" piece of tile is loose and the grout on one leg of the triangle is loose. High traffic area leads me to think sooner or later that pie shaped piece of tile is going to come up. When that happens of course, I could thin set it back in place, assuming the cracks stay un-deformed.

I've have in years past, bought some very thin cyanoacrylate in model airplane hobby shops. Almost the consistancy of water. It comes with a curing agent that you spray on the surface and bonds immediately.

I was considering trying some of that on the loose tile corner, but wondered about the propriety of doing so. Just thinking if anyone had tried such a "fix".
Old 07-27-2011

We have one tile cracked near the refrigerator. It has been that way as long as we have owned the coach. Only you will notice it.

Regarding grout, good tile stores carry caulking to match all shades of grout. It is for the seam between a counter and the tile backsplash, an area that always cracks due to slight flexing. Thus, the caulk that looks like grout. It can be bought in sanded and unsanded. I prefer the unsanded as you can get a nicer surface. We had several areas at the edges where the grout had broken up. This caulk is the perfect solution as it sticks and will not crack.
Old 07-27-2011

Tommy- get some liquid nails. Take the broken piece up, vacuum the void, add a little liquid nails, press into place at the height of original tile-
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 07-27-2011

You guys are lucky 1 or 3 cracked tiles. I have a line running from the carpet in the living area all the way to the bedroom and a crack line in the tile from side to side in the bath. One day Ernie one day
Old 07-27-2011

Thanks, Ernie. Liquid Nails - I've seen that product at the big box stores.