Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 06-07-2014

Checked again, its definitely the electric heater, there is a switch on lower left edge of thermostat, regardless of position of that switch heater under sofa comes on as soon as I throw the breaker. Is the kitchen electric heater controlled by the same thermostat? I cannot find a thermostat for kitchen heater, and it does not come on in either position of thermostat switch by the sofa. There is one thermostat in bedroom, when I throw switch on that thermostat, bedroom heater does not come on, but the fan that transfers heat to bathroom does come on (at least I think that is what that fan is for).

Looked thought the schematics, there has to be at least 50 pages worth, not sure how many apply to my bus, some are labeled "rear bath" ( I have a side bath), and many are labeled "WLFC & WLPP", years range from '83 to '88. So how many pages of schematics should I have?

Assuming the thermostats are like any household thermostats they are just low voltage and control contactors/relays, where would I find the contactors/relays for the heater under sofa? There is a whole mess of relays in the overhead compartment right above the sofa. What about relays for kitchen and rear heaters?
Old 06-07-2014
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottrouble View Post
Checked again, its definitely the electric heater, there is a switch on lower left edge of thermostat, regardless of position of that switch heater under sofa comes on as soon as I throw the breaker. Is the kitchen electric heater controlled by the same thermostat? I cannot find a thermostat for kitchen heater, and it does not come on in either position of thermostat switch by the sofa. There is one thermostat in bedroom, when I throw switch on that thermostat, bedroom heater does not come on, but the fan that transfers heat to bathroom does come on (at least I think that is what that fan is for).

Looked thought the schematics, there has to be at least 50 pages worth, not sure how many apply to my bus, some are labeled "rear bath" ( I have a side bath), and many are labeled "WLFC & WLPP", years range from '83 to '88. So how many pages of schematics should I have?

Assuming the thermostats are like any household thermostats they are just low voltage and control contactors/relays, where would I find the contactors/relays for the heater under sofa? There is a whole mess of relays in the overhead compartment right above the sofa. What about relays for kitchen and rear heaters?
On the heater itself theres a knob,turn the knob to the off position.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-07-2014
Slow Learner

Kristin, it's definitely not a waste of time to pull that heater out to clean it. There are several threads about the dust, hair, etc that build up over time. Potential fire hazard!
2007 Coachmen Mirada 300QB
Old 06-08-2014

Just went and checked with flashlight and reading glasses, dang my eyesight is getting bad, I thought that was just a little plastic mfrs tag. Turned knob all the way right (warmer) till it "clicked", but heater is still on, turning to left knob just comes to a stop, no matter which way I turn it that heater is pumping lots o heat. Tried kitchen and bedroom heaters, knobs on those do not click either direction of rotation, and neither one comes on. Guess I'm pulling heaters next.
Old 06-08-2014

Quote:
Just went and checked with flashlight and reading glasses, dang my eyesight is getting bad, I thought that was just a little plastic mfrs tag. Turned knob all the way right (warmer) till it "clicked", but heater is still on, turning to left knob just comes to a stop, no matter which way I turn it that heater is pumping lots o heat. Tried kitchen and bedroom heaters, knobs on those do not click either direction of rotation, and neither one comes on. Guess I'm pulling heaters next.

If its AC just find the breaker switch in the mains box. Turn it off there.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 06-08-2014
Administrator

Quote:
If this is an AC electric toe /baseboard heater, & it is still heating after turning the knob counter-clockwise, the thermostat behind that knob is defective. check out this thread

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ad.php?t=18015
Old 06-08-2014
Forum owner

i think he said it didnt click.
I'm not sure that they click,its been a few years!
try again.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-08-2014

This is a silly thing to check.....find another electric heater that works, ie you can shut it off. Swap knobs with that one and this "trouble heater". Why? I have had the "hole" on the back of the knob strip to the point where the knob turns, but its really not doing anything other than spinning on the stud behind it. Worth a shot.
VB 1570
Old 06-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
If this is an AC electric toe /baseboard heater, & it is still heating after turning the knob counter-clockwise, the thermostat behind that knob is defective. check out this thread

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ad.php?t=18015
That thermostat will work for the Fasco toe kick heaters. My PT has 2 of those and 2 wall heaters which I purchased new thermostats for at Lowes. Here's a link to the thermostat I purchased. http://www.lowes.com/pd_252766-13468...3D4&facetInfo=
Follow our travels at:
ampersandgemandjewelry
Old 06-08-2014

Thanks folks! Just ordered 3 new thermostats from Lowes, had to order online as local store did not have them in stock.