Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 03-01-2009

Default Tire pressure checking-eventful

I wasn't sure if this question should go under the Newby category or not, because no doubt it is a newby stupid question. But, since I had other tire-related questions I decided to put it here. 1) How do I get to, and unscrew, the valve stem cover on an inner drive tire? I can see it deep in there, and my long guage would reach it, but I have never seen needle nose pliers that long. What am I missing?

2) A valve stem on a tag tire got stuck open when checking it's air pressure. The Equal was blowing out in little pellets, which I figure were making it stick open. I couldn't get it to stop, so after quite a bit of air leaked out I finally got the stem cover screwed back on. It will probably be flat when I return in two weeks; which leads to my last question.

3) Can I air up that tire from an air line hose coupling that I found on the coach? I assume I would need the engine running and the suspension all aired up so that the compressor was on, right? I remember some threads on this when I lurked on the other sites a couple of years ago, but I can't remember if the coach compressor can handle the 100psi I need.

Thanks.
1986 PT36 6V92 "Golden Memories"-Sold
1993 WB40 "freeNeasy"-Sold
Old 03-01-2009

Default Tire Pressure

Rick:

Had the same problem on one of my inside drive wheels. The valve core had apparently headed south. I tried to put an extension on and made it worse. The most I could get out of my on-board compressor was about 70 lbs. I finally pulled into a tire dealer and they put a new stems & extensions in my inside tires and aired them up for $25.00.
Old 03-01-2009
Forum owner

hey Rick!
all questions are good question!
question 1,in the tool box is a short piece of rubber fuel line, slip that rubber line over the valve cap and tun the cap off,put the cap back on the same way,using the fuel line for the ''tool''

#2. i would get a new valve core for that wheel,i have seen the cores fail before.
make sure its the type for ''equal''

#3. yes,you can air up with the coach air,it takes a little while (bring a cigar)!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-01-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Davis View Post
I wasn't sure if this question should go under the Newby category or not, because no doubt it is a newby stupid question. But, since I had other tire-related questions I decided to put it here. 1) How do I get to, and unscrew, the valve stem cover on an inner drive tire? I can see it deep in there, and my long guage would reach it, but I have never seen needle nose pliers that long. What am I missing?

2) A valve stem on a tag tire got stuck open when checking it's air pressure. The Equal was blowing out in little pellets, which I figure were making it stick open. I couldn't get it to stop, so after quite a bit of air leaked out I finally got the stem cover screwed back on. It will probably be flat when I return in two weeks; which leads to my last question.

3) Can I air up that tire from an air line hose coupling that I found on the coach? I assume I would need the engine running and the suspension all aired up so that the compressor was on, right? I remember some threads on this when I lurked on the other sites a couple of years ago, but I can't remember if the coach compressor can handle the 100psi I need.

Thanks.
Rick,

You can purchase a valve Stem Cap Tool from www.iowa80.com

You can purchase a set of extra long needle nose pliers from Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=33202

Quote:
It will probably be flat when I return in two weeks; which leads to my last question.
I'm going to assume that you mean when you get back to where your 'Bird is stored. The tire valve stem core that should be used with EQUAL have filters, so if you install a new one be sure it is one of these.

If your air hose coupler is like mine, it can be used to hook an air hose to it and then as you indicated with the engine running and the air pressure built up, on mine the air suspension doesn't have to be inflated, it will have sufficient air pressure to air up the tire, although it will do this slower than a normal air hose supplied by a large shop type compressor. I have a schedule 40 air line plumbed from my shop compressor over to the deck that is next to where I park my 'Bird while I'm here at the home base, so I can air things up before I even start the engine.

I store a coiled up 50 foot hose in the area between the air hose coupler (I mislabled it in the photo) and the battery shown above, but I do not leave it plugged into the coupler. Good Year air hoses are available from Harbor freight http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...hose&Submit=Go

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 03-01-2009

Thanks guys. Yep John, I have it parked at a CG well north of Houston, and will be going home to TN next weekend so it will be two weeks before I return to it. Good to know the Bird can supply supplementary air, but on the way back into the city tonight I stopped at a Lowes for something else, and ended up picking up a Porter Cable pancake compressor, that goes up to 150psi. It was only $164, with the hose, air chuck, other goodies. Couldn't pass up the chance to have another noise-maker at the campground.

John, didn't we call those hemopstats back in college?

Randy, can I just plug the new compressor into any 120v outlet in whatever basement bay that is handy, or do you remember if there was any that I should stay away from due to it servicing something else?
Old 03-01-2009
Forum owner

Rick,they were called roach clips when i was in school!
and yes,i think any of the basement recepts will be fine.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-01-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Davis View Post
Thanks guys. Yep John, I have it parked at a CG well north of Houston, and will be going home to TN next weekend so it will be two weeks before I return to it. Good to know the Bird can supply supplementary air, but on the way back into the city tonight I stopped at a Lowes for something else, and ended up picking up a Porter Cable pancake compressor, that goes up to 150psi. It was only $164, with the hose, air chuck, other goodies. Couldn't pass up the chance to have another noise-maker at the campground.

John, didn't we call those hemopstats back in college?

Randy, can I just plug the new compressor into any 120v outlet in whatever basement bay that is handy, or do you remember if there was any that I should stay away from due to it servicing something else?
College? What's College, oh you must have been one of those guys that tried to pass yourself off as a medical student when you got puled over by the constable and he saw them sitting on your front seat, us less edumacated folks just called 'em roach clips, or if I wanted to impress someone, I called 'em doobie holders

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 03-02-2009

Hmmm. Looks like I have opened up a bit more personal background about me and you two than maybe I should. What were we talking about?
Old 03-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
College? What's College, oh you must have been one of those guys that tried to pass yourself off as a medical student when you got puled over by the constable and he saw them sitting on your front seat, us less edumacated folks just called 'em roach clips, or if I wanted to impress someone, I called 'em doobie holders
Keep this talk up and they'll need to be an agenda item added just ahead of Pizza Night at Birds at the Beach.....oh yea, and more pizza. The presence of hemostats in my tool box does not seem to escape the watchful eye of my wife. They sure are helpful for intricate tasks though.
Old 03-02-2009

Those hemo's work great for holding onto things when soldering them...... that's all I've ever used them for
"Bark-O-Lounger"