Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Caterpillar 3208 Solutions

Caterpillar 3208 Solutions This sub-forum is hosted by Mike Hohnstein who has been at this kind of thing for 50+ years now, guess I'm addicted. The saga has been all about progressively larger shop space since then. Honestly, never wanted to get into the CAT 3208's that were originally considered to be a throwaway engine but that's all that works in a FC in my world. Same thing with my Ford toter, that came with a NA, too much effort to hang in a 6, so been at it with the CAT V-8 for 20 years now. In reality you can get excellent life out of a CAT 3208 if it's built correctly. Post your questions about the CAT 3208 engines here and Mike will try to help you out.

Site Search:

Old 12-05-2019

Found this might help

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ompressors.pdf
Birdless for now.
RShrimp@Yahoo.com
Old 12-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshrimp View Post
Let us know when you find one. Mine is weak. WIll build full pressure but that's forever. No big leaks. It will never build air at idle but will hold 120 at cruise speed. It has new belts.
How do you get to it?
Where do I get one? (I searched the above numbers to no avail)
Finditparts.com has them. Good price and service
Cape Cod,ma
Old 12-05-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Let us know when you find one. Mine is weak. WIll build full pressure but that's forever. No big leaks. It will never build air at idle but will hold 120 at cruise speed. It has new belts.
How do you get to it?

RandyS,i made an adapter to hook shop air to the output air line on the compressor,this will pressurize the system just like the engine air compressor would.
I have seen the line from the compressor to the dryer have a hole in it,and it will not show up by charging the system at the schrader valve.
You can't hear the leak with the engine running.

If you take the supply line off at the dryer and plug it with a pressure gauge you can rule the compressor out,or not.

Bill Pape and i chased a bad compressor for a full day,checking for air leaks etc.
Both of us thought the compressor was good,and that we had a leak.
We took the line off the compressor and adapted shop air to the line,no leaks.
then we made an adapter and put a gauge on the output of the compressor and we had low pressure.

So,we had a bad compressor.
This was on a flipper coach i had bought,70 miles away.
It had sat for 10 years,we put batteries in and it started and aired right up,i drove it home.
The next day it would not build air,so why would we suspect the compressor?

Turns out one of the reed valves in the compressor had a "bite" out of it.
we rebuilt the head and it was fine.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-05-2019

When we had our FC it was taking a long time to air up. I removed it myself and took it to an truck air compressor shop. Had a name in Spanish something like " House of Compressors". He rebuilt it for around $100. reinstalling is the tricky part as you have to slide it over the gasket. I used some Permatex sticky sealant under the gasket and silicone on top. I placed 2 metal rods over the gasket so I would not move it. Got it over the rods and tilted the compressor to remove he rods. I have a bad shoulder so that made it harder. But I manged to get it in place. I did not swing the rad . Rather I removed the CAC and the rad. I removed the rad shortly after I bought this Bird. It had been to BB and they had swung the rad but reused all the dirty greasy nuts and bolts. I used all new bolts and the rad came out easily. I am alone in the shop and use a floor jack as my helper. If I can do it anyone can!

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 12-05-2019
Forum owner

THat one bolt is a bear.
inside rear bolt,i think i remember it.
But,i would check the air dryer,if its not oily i would pull the head and inspect the top end.
The air dryer may be the issue anyway...

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-05-2019
In The Learning Curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
When we had our FC it was taking a long time to air up. I removed it myself and took it to an truck air compressor shop. Had a name in Spanish something like " House of Compressors". He rebuilt it for around $100. reinstalling is the tricky part as you have to slide it over the gasket. I used some Permatex sticky sealant under the gasket and silicone on top. I placed 2 metal rods over the gasket so I would not move it. Got it over the rods and tilted the compressor to remove he rods. I have a bad shoulder so that made it harder. But I manged to get it in place. I did not swing the rad . Rather I removed the CAC and the rad. I removed the rad shortly after I bought this Bird. It had been to BB and they had swung the rad but reused all the dirty greasy nuts and bolts. I used all new bolts and the rad came out easily. I am alone in the shop and use a floor jack as my helper. If I can do it anyone can!
New compressor put on my 77 FC by prior owner - shortly before I purchased it. Now leaking oil ... I'm betting one of those gaskets was crimped/crushed during reinstall. Good tip for how you slid it back in place.

2000 LXI SS "Piper"
1977 FC 31 RB "BUSTA BUS"
(Possibly for sale Fall 2020)
1995 WB 42 "The Magic Carpet" sold

Semper Fi
----------------------------------------------------
Old 12-05-2019
Administrator

try this thread, for injection pump & compressor

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=25155
Old 12-05-2019

One more tip. I made 2 studs to line up the compressor.

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 12-06-2019

Quote:
How do you get to it?
Just wondering...what is the condition of the air compressor air filter? All things considered a lot of air moves through a fairly small filter on these compressors. When I got mine it was really loaded with crud. You can easily make a replacement from a generic lawnmower foam filter...just cut to fit.

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79
Old 12-06-2019

I have my compressors rebuilt at a local place here in Winnipeg that does excellent work. I generally try to get my existing stuff rebuilt because I know the origin rather than getting a rebuilt which may have been rebuilt 5X already and come off an abused Ford LTL dump truck from 1970. I have seen bad stories from those getting Tuflo's that come from Napa and a compressor is too important to mess up. Getting steel in your oil is not cool.
1978 GMC Royale 26' (2015-2016)
1982 FC-33SB 250HP (2007-2009)