Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 06-23-2010

Default Anyone using 8.25 rims for 315/80r 22.5's?

I am going us up size my 12r's to 315's and see that Michelin approves the 8.25" wide rim for this tire. Has anyone had experience in doing this? This will be on my 2001 LX.
Old 06-23-2010
Extra puzzle piece

No but I want to hear about it. The limited tire selection and cost of the 12's is frustrating. There are dumps full of usable 11r's out there that are just <80% tread that truckers can't use that I wish I could use but I don't know enough about tires to know if the application is appropriate.
Old 06-23-2010

I just put two firestone fs400's -315/80/22.5 on my 99LX 8.25 rims Works good for me. ride's good and cost was $520 each out the door.
Old 06-23-2010

I just went to the tire store yesterday on the same issue. I went to Zurcher Tire in Monroe, IN. They are the largest Firestone and Bridgestone tire dealer in the USA and the 6th largest in the world. They know their stuff! The tech I talked with, Mike Burgess, said that according to the Firestone book, which he showed me, the 315 are not recomended for the 8.25 wheels. The Michelin's are. But in his opinion they shouldn't be. He thinks the tire could have bead seperation if you hit a hole just right. He said that the tire is a "little pudgy" on the 8.25 wheel. He told me he would put them on if I wanted them but just wanted to give me his recomendation.

I have a great deal of respect for Zurcher and their people. I have gone to a lot of different tire dealters and none are as impressive as these guys are. Right down to the installers. When you go there it is amazing how many people are in the waiting area and how many cars are being worked on in the bays. I think there are something like 10 bays or cars. Then there are 6 bays for the big trucks or rigs like ours, and they were all busy with trucks sitting outside and waiting. There are farm tractor tires everywhere you look, across the street from the office. I know that yesterday I saw 6 service trucks sitting in the lot, who knows how many are out on the job. This placing is located in a town of maybe 600 people and right in the middle of Amish country.

All the farmers, and other business people I know take their vehicles there, and I live 50 miles away. They have a tremendous reputation and I will have to take serious consideration to what Mike told me but I am willing to listen to others that have used them and had good experience. One of the other memebers on the forum, bluebird62014just had the Firestone 315 put on his 99LX. I bought my coach from Bob and trust his judgement also. As usual this topic will have all manner of opinions and it usually just confuses me more.

Bottom line on the 315 for me is safety! I think that is why we all are considering them. But if I stand a chance of poping a bead on the stear tires (maybe not as bad as a total blowout) but dangerous nonetheless, I'm not sure I want to do it. It sounds like a toss up. I suppose there is no guarantee on anything in this world and hitting a pot hole just right might be harder to do than to overload the front end too much. Take your choice. I'm still thinking on it!

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 06-23-2010
Geek

The problem with "tire shop experts" is that you will have no trouble finding another shop, in another city, with equal reputation and experience and an opposite opinion. There is almost no "universally-held" expert opinion when it comes to tires.

Perhaps Firestone uses a different bead, I don't know, but I'm very happy with running Michelin 315/80s on my 8.25-inch steer rims.

I have 7K miles on them so far, and I very much like running 105lbs vs the 120lbs it took to handle my weight with 12Rs.

Any additional "bulge" is non-obvious - a 12R has an equal-appearing bulge - both of these tires are a lot wider than 8.25 or 9 inches. The 315/80 is 1-inch wider, so at the tread it is 1/2-inch more per side, but I don't think the "bulge" part even has that 1/2-inch difference.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 06-23-2010

Don,

I think you are dead on with "shop experts". However on the Firestone web site it doesn't list the FS 400 on 8.25" wheels. My tire dealer spoke withe the area rep and got an, ok (that is what he said).

I just want to be safe. I experenced my second steer blow out last week (one on each side), so it is 315's for me on the steer even if it calls for new rims. I am also going to install Tryon rings on the steer. Check them out http://www.tyron.org/mainpages/video...ruck_movie.htm
Old 06-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
The problem with "tire shop experts" is that you will have no trouble finding another shop, in another city, with equal reputation and experience and an opposite opinion. There is almost no "universally-held" expert opinion when it comes to tires.

Perhaps Firestone uses a different bead, I don't know, but I'm very happy with running Michelin 315/80s on my 8.25-inch steer rims.

I have 7K miles on them so far, and I very much like running 105lbs vs the 120lbs it took to handle my weight with 12Rs.

Any additional "bulge" is non-obvious - a 12R has an equal-appearing bulge - both of these tires are a lot wider than 8.25 or 9 inches. The 315/80 is 1-inch wider, so at the tread it is 1/2-inch more per side, but I don't think the "bulge" part even has that 1/2-inch difference.
Don,
I know you are most likely correct on what you say. However, Mike pulled out his Firestone book dated March 2010 and they did not list the 8.25 inch rim as acceptable for the FS400. Besides the obvious concern of if they fit properly is my concern will they guarantee them if placed on a rim that is not listed as acceptable. Michelin's equivalent 315 tire does say you can use a 8.25 rim in the book he showed me, also dated this year, but at a considerably higher cost.

I think what each person should do is listen to "good advice" which I know I have done when talking with Zurcher Tire. You don't become the #1 dealer in the US by accident. Life is a #### shoot, we all know that, you roll the dice and hope for the best. I do like the 315 tire's ability to carry a bigger load, which may be more of a problem for us than hitting a hole. I think that each of us needs to check with their installer to see if they will guarantee the tire if it is put on an unapproved or unlisted rim and then decide. I will follow my own advice on that one.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 06-23-2010

This has been an interesting topic since I bought my coach.

One placard in my coach calls for 12R’s and another calls for 315’s.

I like Michelins and yes NOW they state in their specs the 315 tire will work with the 8.25 wheels.

The problem is and I’m trying to find the files. A few years ago Michlins had a different spec for this application. It had a rating for 9.00"& 8.25" Wheels. The 8.25" rims were down rated to just a few 100 lbs greater capacity that the 12R’s and the "bulge" it created looked on paper, as to be too big for my coach.

Well we all know this isn’t true. They fit fine.

The newest spec sheet does not specifically say anything about rim size. So it looks like the specs have change in reference to the Michelin products.

I am upgrading the coach to 315’s soon, I will most likely keep the 8.25 wheels on the rear and upgrade the steer axles to 9.00" Wheels to get that greater capacity and alleviate any potential problems the narrower rims would cause. Does anyone think this is bad idea?

I would like all 9.00" wheels, but the $'s are tight
Old 06-23-2010
davidmbrady

At one point I was considering uprgading to 10.5" wheels and 365/70R22.5's. An engineer I spoke with at Spicer said it was permissible to put a larger wheel and tire on my steer axle but the wheel "offset" has to be maintained. In other words, relative to my stock 9" wheels, the extra 1.5 inches of the new wheel needs to be split evenly on either side of the wheel centerline. This way the distance from the hub mounting flange to the wheel centerline (the "offset") will be maintained.
Old 06-23-2010
Geek

What Michelin says about using 315/80 LRL tires on 8.25-inch rims:

"When used on an 8.25” rim, the max load and pressure is lower than that indicated on the sidewall."

That should be obvious. An Alcoa 8.25/22.5 rim will have a max weight rating between 7200 and 7400 lbs. An Alcoa 9.00/22.5 rim will have a max weight rating of 9090 to 10,000 lbs.

A Michelin 315/80 at 130 PSI is rated for 9090 lbs, while the highest rating for an 8.25-inch rim is 8000 lbs at 120 PSI.

So the issue, as far as Michelin is concerned, is the wheel rating. Anyone with a 15K or heavier front axle should be running 9-inch rims anyway. Mine is rated 14,600, and I run 14,600, so I'm at max for these rims.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1