Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 06-27-2010

Curt, my 2009 Rubicon has no steering wheel lock. The owners manual dictates to turn the key on to unlock the wheel but I checked it out and there is no lock.
I ran a wire thru my trailer plug that supplies power directly to the battery of the tow'ed. the need is to limit the max amp of draw the tow'ed battery will demand. If you look your Bimford200 towbattery unit protects the demand after the plug for only your jeep. I chose to install a limit on the max amp of supply the bus will send to the tow'ed. this way there will never be more amps passing the plug in the event the 12V+ wire gets grounded out when there is a prob in any trailer or tow'ed side of the mix. I think if you install the unit in the bus there would be more protection and every tow'ed or trailer you pull will prove protected

without any protective device like Curt intends to use, If you hook up a towed with a weak battery the simple 12V+ wire becomes the charger for the battery. this would not make a big demand but if some one tries to start the tow'ed while hooked up to the bus and the tow'ed has a weak battery the path to the starter would be the small 12V+ wire in the trailer plug.
Old 06-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78bbird View Post
Also locking and unlocking the steering wheel? why do some just unlock it and some tie the wheel so it will only turn so far?

In my opinion, it is best to have the dingy steering wheel free to move and steer as required. The front tires don't scuff from being dragged sideways and there is less stress on the towbar etc. Having said that, I have towed a variety of vehicles and not all of them dingy tow well. On some, the steering wheel would go to one side and stay there and another would not re-center after a turn. I assume it was a caster problem but that is only my guess. Because of the problem I would have to limit the steering wheel movement. I used one or two bungy cords to allow some movement but not enough to allow the steering wheel to go "hard over." Not a great solution but cheap and effective.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 06-27-2010
Tommy Two Shoes

Curt,

I have SMI Airforce One and a Jeep Rubicon. When I towed in traffic for hours (brake lights) and then at night with lights on, the Jeep battery would not start upon arrival. I bought what I thought was a neat gadget at the Q for $XXX dollars and made an appointment with an onsite tech to install. He sent me back to get a refund.

My plug from coach to toad has an extra hot pin. He wired that up to the battery, installed a diode so the coach will not drain the toad, and connected it to the battery. What I have is a 12 volt trickle charge to the toad battery as I tow. So far, so good and at a much less cost than installing gadgets. This allows the power on to operate the SMI without worrying about a dead battery.

Tommy 'Two Shoes' McCarthy

GoneAway
2006 M450LXI
Gardnerville, NV
Near South Lake Tahoe in the Carson Valley
Old 06-27-2010

I tow my 2008 Jeep JK Rubicon automatic all over and it is a great vehicle to tow. It has the steering wheel lock so I quickly (10 seconds) pull these two fuses and I am good to go with the key in the first detent position to release the steering wheel lock without the radio/navigation system coming on. Not doing this results in a dead battery quickly. All the radio presets are preserved. I have become very accustomed to these two fuses and it is quick and easy. The fuse with the white collar is just pulled up and not removed. The small 15 amp blue fuse is removed with the fuse puller provided and put in the fuse pullers original spot with the fuse attached. When I want to unhook the toad, I lift the hood with one hand and push the white collared fuse in and install the blue fuse with the other. Simple. Here is a link to the discussion:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2007-...ing-48825.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TowingFuses.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	5561  
1992 Ford F250 4x4 Toad
Old 06-28-2010

All good information. Thank you everyone.

I have the Cool Tech Jeep Lights wiring harness to install. Has anyone used this product? Any tips?

I'll install the trickle charge with diode to the toad battery.

Will get a key cut (non Chipped key) for the ignition.

After the above steps I should be good to go.

1987 PT38 8V92 "MacAttack Racing" FOR SALE
1974 FC31 534 gas engine, air brakes (sold)
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
714 269-6187

Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 06-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtsprenger View Post
I have the Cool Tech Jeep Lights wiring harness to install. Has anyone used this product? Any tips?

I installed the Cool Tech wiring harness and it works well. It was an easy install and I stuck to the directions. I don't remember needing to do anything special on the install. I also installed the Cool Tech black box/harness for the radio/navigation system that modifies the radio programming so it is more "useable" and allows rear camera installation. With all the cr@p in/on my Jeep, I need view assistance when backing up! I also have additional LED turn and brake signals installed on the back of the rack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00033a.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	5562  
1992 Ford F250 4x4 Toad
Old 06-28-2010

Thats not a Jeep

Its a pack mule

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267 or 905 246 4295
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 06-28-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryKessler View Post
I installed the Cool Tech wiring harness and it works well. It was an easy install and I stuck to the directions. I don't remember needing to do anything special on the install. I also installed the Cool Tech black box/harness for the radio/navigation system that modifies the radio programming so it is more "useable" and allows rear camera installation. With all the cr@p in/on my Jeep, I need view assistance when backing up! I also have additional LED turn and brake signals installed on the back of the rack.
Jerry wins he has the most toys,

We need a new thread, "Pictures of your Toad"
Old 06-28-2010

That Jeep probably has a 6" lift on it just to give it some ground clearance!!!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 06-28-2010

I don't have the battery drain problem.
I have the SMI Stay and Play vacuum system on our 05 Honda Element.
The towing directions state "Stop every 200 miles and run the engine and run the tranny thru the gears".
No problem with batt drain as need a butt break about then and a walkaround of the rig so this works for us.