Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 12-05-2010

Default Water heater between K sink & Shower

MY OEM floorplan has the water heater at the back of the bus under the bed. Water could be saved while boondocking if the water heater were to be repositioned to about where the icemaker is between the K sink and the shower.

BUT: In its position under the bed it sits in what appears to be a lower platform with a hole in the bottom. I suppose this is to deal with the possibility of a leak or burst in the water heater. Assuming this is the function of the OEM design, has anyone ever been grateful for this feature? (I believe there is no such preventive measure under the icemaker, which sits on the bottom of the kitchen cabinet. On the other hand, in 60 some years of not living in an rv, but in a house, I haven't experienced a water heater leaking or bursting.) If the feature is OEM overkill, why not reposition the water heater?

Last edited by 1derer; 12-05-2010 at 02:27 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-05-2010

Why not collect the water in a container until it runs hot & reuse it? We use an empty cat litter jug. The shower head fits in the neck. This saves water & holding tank space.
Cat 3208ATAAC-300
12.5kw Kohler/Yanmar (w/slide)
"Magic carpet made of steel"
Steve Goodman 1970

"You never fail until you stop trying".
Old 12-05-2010

Years ago I met a fellow with (I think an '88 PT40) Wanderlodge who installed a valve near the shower head and a temperature gauge. He ran the shower through this diverter valve so the water would go back to the tank. You simply watched the temperature gauge and flipped the diverter valve to flow to the shower head when the desired temperature was reached. He said it drastically increased the boondocking capability. Has to be a lot easier than moving the water heater.
Old 12-05-2010

there is a return kit with pump you can buy for all the faucets
name escapes me
the gent was at the Louisville good sam show in july

Email stephenbirtles@hotmail.com
Telephone 905 246 4295
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 12-05-2010
Administrator

http://www.chilipepperapp.com/
Old 12-05-2010
Forum owner

This Mod has been done for many years,its a great idea.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-05-2010

I installed a Chilipepper pump under my M380's bathroom sink. It works well for the sink but is not a perfect solution for the shower as it doesn't circulate the water between the manifold and the shower. It would help your long run to the kitchen sink. A bit on the noisy side but we can live with it.
Old 12-06-2010

Dan & Cindy -
In mine the sequence is water heater at rear, then K sink, then shower, then Bath sink. Though I haven't looked at the hot water pipe routing, let's say there's one long hot water line with these items being offshoots from it in the same sequence. If this is the case, I would think putting the Chilipper under the bath sink (tap most distant from the water heater) would lead to virtually instant hot water availability not only there but also to the other taps between it and the water heater. I don't know your hot water routing, but do you believe putting it at the tap most distant from the water heater would eliminate your issue? (If not, please explain about "manifold")
Old 12-07-2010

You are correct! If you've go one long hot water supply line with branches off of it for each set of faucets, the Chilipepper Pump will be ideal for you. Put it at the far end of the line and when the hot water makes it that far, you'll have hot water at each of the other branches. With just a bit of work, remotely operated pump will allow you to switch the CP on at each faucet. If there is several feet in the branch between the tee on the main hot water line and the faucet, you'll have to waste that cold water waiting for the hot water to arrive.

In my M380, and a lot of the other newer coaches, BB installed a distribution manifold in one of the service bays (see my attached photo). The main hot and cold water supply lines are connected to the inlets on the manifold. Each circuit then branches out from there through its own control valve. The CP pulls water from the hot water supply to my bathroom faucet returning the cold water back down the cold supply line until the CP senses a temperature rise and shuts off. This means the water is hot to the manifold but that other 20 foot long hot water branch leading to my shower is still full about 1 1/2 pints of the cold stuff.

In hindsite, I should have tried to hook up the CP at the shower faucet. Washing you hands in cold water is a lot easier to handle than an icecold shower when you are trying to conserve water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1596.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	794.5 KB
ID:	7568