Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 03-12-2011
davidmbrady

Excess Sikaflex is easily removed with isopropyl alcohol.
Old 03-12-2011

I had a bad experience with Liquid Nails when I tried to reattach a fiberglass panel to a steel frame on my prior SOB. It hold OK for a year but ultimately failed. I blame the adhesive being able to absorb moisture, but it could also be a material compatibility issue.
Old 03-13-2011

I've never used LN on my Bird. The common variety used for years was developed for the construction industry, originally for wood. It hardens over time and then lets loose, probably from the moisture. They do have an exterior product now, but not recommended for metal bonding.

Their web site only lists one product suitable for metal. LN-203, which is a 2 part epoxy, available in 6 gm syringes, which covers 4-5 square inches.

I used 3M trim tape and Sikaflex. Since the Sikaflex was so hard to apply, on the last 2 panels, I only used 100% 3M tape. I figure if it holds trim on cars for 20 years, it's OK for my Bird. Sikaflex is a polyurethane adhesive and the folks at CoachWorx said it really takes a special applicator that heats it up. They use it to put Prevost SS panels back on during replacement.
www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=168
Old 03-13-2011

The Sikabond I got at Lowes is made by Sikaflex and appears to be the same as Sikaflex, but went on easier than Liquid Nails. I did notice that they now have a foil seal on the tip end and the tip itself screws into place. I believe Sikaflex used to have an issue with hardening in the tube before it was sold. Perhaps they have cured that issue.

Corey Noble
Spring Hill, FL.
2000 43 LXI Millennium Edition
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
Old 03-13-2011
davidmbrady

Sikaflex makes a variety of products. I think the one to use for our application is 221.

http://www.sika.ie/ie-tds-Sikaflex_221.PDF

This technical data sheet goes on to say that it is soluble in alcohol and that once cured it can only be removed mechanically.

I pick it up at East Coast Trailer in Charlotte, NC. Most places that repair semi trailers will carry it. It has a shelf life so check the date stamp to be sure you're buying it fresh.
Old 01-10-2012

Default Adhesive removal

I'm finally getting to properly re-glue the panels, and have the culprits removed. The 3M tape came off OK, but the adhesive is resisting heat and elbow grease...Did Bluebird use the SIKA? If the doors on the LXi are made of aluminum, I could sand off the adhesive, without worrying about rust...or does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2012

Ian,
The bay doors are fiberglass. It will be interesting to see if Sikaflex sands off, it may continually clog the paper.

The Sikaflex will come of if you keep working at it with a very sharp putty knife or razor blade. The secret is to keep working down the length of it separating a little more each pass. You will take the paint with it, but it's fiberglass under there and will be covered again with the stainless so no worries.

Corey Noble
Spring Hill, FL.
2000 43 LXI Millennium Edition
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
Old 01-10-2012
Forum owner

nows your chance to buy a fein tool or something like it,use the sharp blade and that stuff will come right off,easy as 1-2-3.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-10-2012
Campground Owner

I still say Harbor Freight. Buy 2 their cheap. $20. I did. Don't have to change tools as often. How did we get by without these things.
www.xcreekrv.com
35°31'08.6"N 83°03'38.8"W
Old 01-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Moved my Stuff ? View Post
I'm finally getting to properly re-glue the panels, and have the culprits removed. The 3M tape came off OK, but the adhesive is resisting heat and elbow grease...Did Bluebird use the SIKA? If the doors on the LXi are made of aluminum, I could sand off the adhesive, without worrying about rust...or does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks
Use an adhesive removal wheel, found at automotive paint supply distributors. It looks like a giant round eraser and when put in a die grinder or drill, it will remove the glue without harming the paint underneath.