Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 08-22-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
I would think that says it all. Doesn't sound like you have any oil pressure issues, just loss of 12V for some reason.
The fact that all of my dash lights turn on would be consistent with a loss of 12v power. That's what happens when you first turn on the ignition key. That happened when the buzzer first sounded, so I'm reasonable sure there is an electrical issue. I'm not sure if the sensor could cause that. It's connected to the electrical system, and could be the monitoring point for that RR error message about loss of voltage, through a short or open connection.

Hmmmm. Thinking out loud here ....
Old 08-22-2019

Check IGN switch wiring
Chassis ground
Todd, do you have schematics?
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
Old 08-22-2019
Geek

It is unlikely that the code is internal to the Road Relay. It is telling you that the engine computer saw a loss of power while the key was turned on. The loss was probably momentary, but enough to shut the engine down. It wants you to turn the key off, wait 5 seconds, and restart.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 08-22-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc2x4drvr View Post
Check IGN switch wiring
Chassis ground
Todd, do you have schematics?
Yes, I've got schematics. Checking ignition switch and ground is a good idea, but how, where? I never touched the switch during testing (not bumped), and I've not seen any intermittent characteristics when using it. Engine grounds are notorious problems. I can run a battery negative to engine block cable, which might help with any grounding problem. The Silverleaf had some codes that might be relevant. See page 3 of this thread. I can call them to find out if they match the RR4 codes.

The RR4 manual mentions loss of power codes, but those are for when the RR4 itself actually loses power. The codes in the manual don't match what is on the display, and I don't think the RR4 actually lost power.
Old 08-22-2019

Quote:
It wants you to turn the key off, wait 5 seconds, and restart.
OK, I didn't realize it was telling me what to do. I think the power loss caused the dash to reset and flash all lights, and that was short enough to not cause the engine shutdown.

BTW, the "Inact 3" in that RR error code has incremented to inactive 4.

I'll explore the schematics. Perhaps I can find how power gets to the dash and take a close look at those wires and connections.

If I can find a replacement VDO sensor, I'll replace that, too. I suppose a call to VDO or BB will locate one. Otherwise, I'll connect the sensor to my compressor, measure the resistance at 35 psi and replace the sensor with some resistors set to match the 35 psi resistance.
Old 08-22-2019
Geek

If I remember right, you mentioned two things earlier that have to do with the ignition switch. One was that the rear start doesn't work, and the other was that the hood interlock didn't work. That would seem to point to possible rewiring that might be at fault.
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 08-22-2019

Quote:
If I remember right, you mentioned two things earlier that have to do with the ignition switch. One was that the rear start doesn't work, and the other was that the hood interlock didn't work. That would seem to point to possible rewiring that might be at fault.
Good point. Checking all that area and related wires may help....what fun

On the oil pressure and buzzer, I see that the M380 manual says:
"Note 4: Stop and Check Engine (engine warning) Buzzer. The buzzer shall be continuously
energized when either the stop engine OR check engine lamps are commanded by the engine AND
critical limits are exceeded on EITHER the oil pressure data OR the coolant temperature data
received off the data link. These limits shall be programmable. Default values for Cummins are tabled
below: Table 2
ENGINE COOLANT TEMP OIL PRESSURE
Deleted Deleted Deleted
ISL 220 10"

It also confirms that the low oil pressure signal for the indicator panel comes from the PRX1.

What I'm not sure is where the PRX1 gets its data. Is it the sensor that drives the gauges, or is it from the sensor on the opposite side (the one with metric threads).

I'm also trying to figure out what had the power to shut down the engine. Is that a Cummins ECU function or something BB installed, like the PRX1 that makes the decision and then commands the ECU to shut down the engine.
Old 08-22-2019

If you can get fault codes, FC 415 is the one that indicates "Oil pressure signal indicates oil pressure below the very low engine protection limit." and can trigger an "engine protection shutdown". On another forum, info supposedly from a Cummins tech is that shutdown is triggered when OP drops to 4 psi.

Attached are the Cummins write-up on FC 415 and the troubleshooting flow summary for the Oil Pressure Sensor Circuit (FC 135).

ISL FC 415 - Oil Pressure Too Low (Eng Protect).pdf
ISL FC 135 - Oil Pres Circuit Sensor Troubleshoot.pdf

Note that the ECM supplies +5VDC to the oil pressure sensor and must test between +4.75 and +5.25VDC at sensor Pin A. An issue with the ECM power supply could lead to erroneous OP readings as well as problems with other sensors fed by that 5V power supply.

Bottom line is that I'm not sure an ohm reading of the sensor is straightforward -- the Troubleshooting tree says the OP sensor signal voltage should read +0.40 to +0.60 VDC so it appears the ECM is looking for a return voltage, not a resistance value.

From my perspective, the first line of attack is following the path of making sure 12V is good everywhere. If all that looks good, I'd then start making sure the ECM/sensor voltages are solid.

BTW, I learning way more about this stuff than I ever wanted to.
hexspeed@aol.com
Phone # in Member Profile
Old 08-22-2019

Ok, here’s an easy check, disconnect (-) start bats, disconnect PRX amp connector, check pins, and use a little connect cleaner, reconnect, then connect start batteries..the schematic indicates all the wiring to the dash starts at the PRX.
Worth a shot
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
Old 08-22-2019
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexspeed View Post
If you can get fault codes, FC 415
He's getting FC 434:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Cl...leshooting.pdf