Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 09-06-2019

Default Right side air bags leaking/down

So, I just get done with solving the engine ECU power problem and we went to move the coach to a new site. The right side air bags would not inflate. I presume I have a leak, which I will start tracing after the 4"-6" of rain that the hurricane is supposed to bring us.

I've looked at a couple of pneumatic diagrams I've collected (hoping to never have to use them) and it appears that the two bags on each side are connected together so that a leak in either affects both. Can anyone confirm this?

Any other comments or advice would be appreciated. I've found part numbers for front and rear bags. Are there any known trouble spots I should check? Such as the suspension dump valve for that side? I'll use a spray bottle of soapy water while looking for leaks.

Is it possible to limp home 350 miles with one side down? If one bag is leaking, is it ok to seal off the line that goes to the leaking bag and drive it on three bags, or is it better to leave both deflated on that side?

Thanks for any help!
Old 09-06-2019

Dump it again and refill until that comes up. I've already had this happen once on my M380.
chip@collectorsco.com / 804-357-4926
2004 M380 101k/22xx hours
1987 FC35 TMU/42xx hours
Former: 90 SP36, 92 WB40, 85 FC35SB & others
Old 09-06-2019

What Chip said..^^^^^
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
Old 09-06-2019

I would like to add; After dumping crank the engine oAND WAIT for the dryer to spit before trying to inflate the bags.

Amateur Radio - KG7V
Old 09-07-2019
RV Appraiser

One side or the other will not go down independently if a bag is ruptured, the whole coach will be down. Is likely one of a couple issues that I know of; your leveling rod is off kilter, you have a rod separated from the right rear height control valve assembly or the assembly has failed completely. Release all air and send a skinny kid under there with a smart phone to take a picture of your rear axle. You should then be able to determine the problem.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 09-07-2019

Thanks guys. When the rain stops I'll take a close look.

Last edited by RVinCT; 09-07-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVinCT View Post
So, I just get done with solving the engine ECU power problem and we went to move the coach to a new site. The right side air bags would not inflate. I presume I have a leak... Is it possible to limp home 350 miles with one side down? If one bag is leaking, is it ok to seal off the line that goes to the leaking bag and drive it on three bags, or is it better to leave both deflated on that side?
Have had this happen several times when trying to raise the suspension with the Aux Air compressor. One side will raise and the other won’t. The valves seem to like a higher pressure when raising the coach, especially when it’s cooler outside. As mentioned, dumping again then running the engine till it “spits”, before raising the suspension again has always put things on a level keel for me. No need to go outside in the rain or get under the coach to try this “fix”. If not, then you can start looking at the Haldex valves, height adjustment rods... It’s likely not a leak though. A couple WOG threads address this issue including: https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=25301.
Old 09-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post
Have had this happen several times when trying to raise the suspension with the Aux Air compressor. One side will raise and the other won’t. The valves seem to like a higher pressure when raising the coach, especially when it’s cooler outside. As mentioned, dumping again then running the engine till it “spits”, before raising the suspension again has always put things on a level keel for me. No need to go outside in the rain or get under the coach to try this “fix”. If not, then you can start looking at the Haldex valves, height adjustment rods... It’s likely not a leak though. A couple WOG threads address this issue including: https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=25301.
The better half suggested I step directly from the door step out of the coach and into our canoe, then paddle around to the rear and stick a camera under the coach. Your procedure seems much easier

Thanks!

BTW, This was one of the few times I started off by filling the suspension from the aux compressor. I was trying to be quiet in the campground by delaying engine start and wanted to be "easy" on the leveling jacks by taking weight off with the airbags before retracting. Usually I use the engine and wait before turning off the suspension dump switch. Temperature was around 45° to 50°F.
Old 09-08-2019

Step 1: I tried dumping the suspension, starting the engine, waiting for the air dryer to "spit" and then turning off the suspension dump again. No Luck.

Step 2: Repeat Step 1 three or four times. No Luck.

Step 3: Wait and repeat Step 1 then Step 2. No Luck.

Step 4: Study the parts manual for a few hours, followed by studying various other bits of info about the air system.

Step 5: Time to go outside and familiarize myself with where things I saw in the drawings are actually located. Thirty seconds after stepping out, I stick my hand between the back of the right rear tire and the coach and feel a loose dangling rod hanging there. I see it has a female ball receiver connection on one end and then locate a lever arm with a mating male ball connection on it. I snap the lever arm ball into the rod and step back inside, start the engine and test it. It's fixed!

That has got to be the easiest "repair" I've ever made! No tools required. I suspect a branch got up between the rear wheel and the wheelwell and unclipped the levelling valve rod.

Thanks for the help!