Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 2 Weeks Ago

That doesn't look factory. Does the coach still have the factory 'AUX BATTERY' solenoid, or is this its replacement?

The factory AUX BATTERY solenoid had two functions, one was to provide starting amps (boost) by connecting engine and house batteries together. The other is to provide charging of both battery banks from either source (charge engine batteries from 120V charger, and charge house batteries from alternator).

I don't think you need an extra 'charging' solenoid if you have the factory AUX solenoid in working order. And your solenoid may be too small to function as a start/boost solenoid. Those original high amperage solenoids are available.

As for your wiring, the two diodes are obviously incorrectly wired, but it's unclear how the rest of this solenoid is wired. The file John posted shows the two diodes (which are directional) hooked to each battery input so that the solenoid can operate even if one of the batteries is dead. And there are two 'GND' sources for the other side of the solenoid coil. One (PURple) comes from the dash 'aux' switch, and the other (RED) comes from the alternator relay to sense when the alternators are charging.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Well one of the diodes is dead and I'm on the road. The boys from Coach Craft told me the correct wiring diagram and that they were 6 amp diodes. The only diode I could find in Gettysburg was 12 amp. So I'm going to run with that one. Hopefully I should be okay until I get to WOG. I was hoping to find someone else with the same setup as it came from the factory that way except that the diodes were 3 amp and updated to 6 amps.
Old 6 Days Ago

Update; broke down 3 more times. Come to find out the 200 amp continuous duty solenoid would get so hot that the coil would lose it's magnetism thus the engine batteries were not receiving a charge from the alternators causing the engine to stop after a while. Interesting enough the gauges on the dash were reading 13.5 to 14 volts the whole time until the engine shut down. I think the gauges are reading the alternators output rather than battery charge. So at this point we got to my daughter's driveway in Charlotte Nc. to do repairs. I've bought a 500 amp continuous duty solenoid and am waiting on delivery of the 6 amp diodes. Hopefully we will be pulling into Pine Mountain on Sunday. If this works I will be more than happy to show anyone whose interested in seeing the mod.