Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Frequently Asked Questions > Blue Bird Models and Blue Bird History

Blue Bird Models and Blue Bird History Here's where you can find information related to Blue Bird history. If you have Historical information such as brochures, pictures, advertisements, etc. this is the place to upload them.

Site Search:

Old 04-07-2013

Default Arctic or winter package

I have been reading different motorhome advertisements and classifieds and come across an ocasional mention of arctic packages or winter packages, I was wondering if this was an option on wanderlodge also?
Old 04-07-2013
Forum Moderator

Dual pane windows and heated bays come to mind. Those are two options but there may have been more.
Old 04-07-2013
Thomas Rembert

Heat tape on the pipes and heated tanks.
2018 Allegro Bus 45ft 4 slide
Gainesville/Melrose FL
Old 04-08-2013

Default Arctic or winter package

This depends on what you are requesting.

If living in a coach, then there are numerous items, as mentioned below, as well as, heaters in crucial area. There is plenty of heating items to keep one warm, with generator or being plugged into power.

The Bluebirds are not well designed for winter storage, the air flush system does not work well, many people can attest to that. I have had one coach require a lot of piping work, and this one I use antifreeze throughout the system.
Old 04-08-2013

Our 1990 WB40 has three different heating systems: one for electric baseboard heat in 4 zones throughout the coach along with heater strips under the tanks in the bays.
Another propane gas Suburban heating system with 4 zones (will heat you out of the coach), and on-the-road engine heating in several zones (have not really tried that one much but it was 20 degrees out and I was toasty inside with both electric and gas turned off (as far as I know). I have owned 3 other coaches (Foretravels) and can say without a doubt there is nothing on this Bird I do not like. The quality is amazing!
Old 04-08-2013
Sandwichs de Glace

Clifford,

I am with Karen and Adrian. SO many heat sources on our 1990, a few can be left undiscovered: Don't forget the heat strips in the A/C's. Redundant Redundancy. Our coach has foam insulation just about everywhere. Just the two Suburbans can keep us toasty warm. No bay heaters on our coach, though.

We eliminated the problematic air purge system (was easy to do on our coach) and winterize yearly when the bus hibernates in the coldest of Ohio winter temps. No problems so far.

MnM
2008 Subaru Outback 2.5XT
Old 04-08-2013

Or do it the easy way, move south
Old 04-08-2013
Campground Owner

I am the bad boy that uses mine in the winter. All the stuff they mention is there. Mine is a little older than some, and doesn't have some of the newer additions.

There have been some minor issues, but I have been thru 38 below on the thermometer.

I had shower valves freeze once. They live in the wall behind the shower, and the factory heat tape didn't protect them well.

The Dupree dump valves don't like to freeze. I had to add additional heat tape to them. They will pull apart if operated when frozen.

Many members don't like the factory installed heat tape because of fears of overheating. I have not had a problem with that, but I am careful to turn off the heat tape in the non freezing times of the year.

When I install new or additional heat tape, I use the best I can find. Self regulating, low wattage, metal braid grounded covering, with GFI.
www.xcreekrv.com
35°31'08.6"N 83°03'38.8"W
Old 04-08-2013
Administrator

Thanks Jon.

It is good to hear about Winter success & Winter fun.
We are retired & head to warmer climates, but have many fond memories of Winter Sports & activities.
Old 04-08-2013
Former Bird Owner

I can't say anything about earlier 'birds, but my '95 was definitely an "all season" coach from the factory. All plumbing was well insulated, protected by being inside the coach, or in the heated basement. The AquaHot system had a special low temperature thermostat in the basement (curb side on front bulkhead) that controlled heat to 40 degrees. (This worked satisfactorily with the electric element only, in relatively mild California winter weather.)

I had minimal problems while living aboard during freezing weather in the Golden Colorado area (even in December). I did, however, avoid the worst part of winter by avoiding staying there during Jan-Feb...

The only problems I ever had involved the dump valves freezing up in very cold weather -- but adding rock salt to the holding tanks (just after emptying them) seemed to solve that one. A couple of times I froze my water hose (by not paying enough attention to the expected lows)... but normally, in the coldest weather I would fill the onboard tanks, drain the hose, and put it away. I could have purchased a heated hose, but the expense did not seem worth it compared to the amount of time I spent in freezing conditions.

I only found one pipe with 'heat tape' on it (in a 'chase' next to the side aisle against the outside wall of the coach). Apparently the builders felt that pipe (that ran to the galley) would not receive enough heat from the interior in its location.

The older 'birds used a lot more heat tape (and tank heaters) requiring electrical power. Over time, the heat tapes to degrade and need to be eventually replaced. All in all, I felt that my 'bird was very well prepared for cold weather and handled it fairly well, all things considered.

As others have noted, prepping a 'bird for winter storage can be a challenge. Expect to use copious quantities of "the pink stuff" antifreeze in the plumbing. Rock salt in the holding tanks will help, too. In really cold areas, an inside storage situation might be preferred.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com