Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Frequently Asked Questions > Blue Bird Models and Blue Bird History

Blue Bird Models and Blue Bird History Here's where you can find information related to Blue Bird history. If you have Historical information such as brochures, pictures, advertisements, etc. this is the place to upload them.

Site Search:

Old 05-13-2014

This winter we stayed in a state park for a week. ....... it stayed right at 0 degrees during the day, and went down to - 20 at night. Only really had two issues. My 8v92 was quite hard to start, had to use either. And one of my jacks was frozen to the ground ! Other than that, we stayed nice and toasty !!!!!!!! Bb are by far the best engineered machines on the planet !!!!!!!!! That's my story and l'm sticking to it. ....... !
2010 HD Ultra Limited 103
Old 05-14-2014
Old Fart

When it gets cold in our travels, we turn on the engine oil heater switch in the back cabinet.
We also have a booster switch with our Progressive Industries bat. charger and hit that first thing in the morning.
So far, no starting problems doing this....
In a horse barn with hookups for the winter

I'm so thankful that I had a childhood before technology took over...
Old 05-14-2014
Mike and Tracy

I have lived my whole life up here where - 20 or colder is quite common for extended periods from late October to April. I worked in a coach factory when I was in University, so used to install "Arctic" packs when ordered. For the most part this was dual pain winters and electric heating pads under the water and sewer tanks. Full body coat foam, and extra in and around water bearing areas. Basements in RV's came along after I was no longer in summer jobs in RV factories.

While Birds are very well built and insulated (for Air Conditioning efficiency as well as heat) I think the only coach on the planet really designed for -40 is a Triple E Empress built in Winkler Manitoba. Unfortunately no longer made, but they were engineered for extreme cold. Ran on a Freightliner chassis with a 3208 CAT. Had a '97 and sold it after we bought our Bird. We regularly used it in the winter skiing. They made these through about 2010 perhaps, but no longer make anything larger than a Class C since the market dumped.

We've had our Bird out in some real cold, perhaps -20, but not yet -40. It was toasty warm inside. Basement seemed warm. The aqua hot works great. We never had to use the forced air electrics in the bathroom.

Not sure how it would do at -40. The dump pipes cabinet is open to the world at the bottom, so I expect that could be a problem unless a guy got in there with some insulation that could be removed to dump. That MIGHT keep the basement heat in near the dump pipes warm enough. As someone else pointed out, I'd be cereal cautious about those dump valves. Our basement is heated off the Aquahot with forced air, and each heater under there has an adjustable thermostat. I keep mine at 40 F and have never had any freezing, but then again, -20 is not that cold (up here!). Our Bird stays in a heated shop year round when she's not on the road so we don't have to winterize.

I would not put slides, levelling jacks, etc out in any coach in extreme cold. They are notorious for letting cold air in, and heat out, and could get frozen in an extended position with the right mixture of freezing rain or snow. Be careful with air brakes as we'll. If you set them (park brake) in real cold weather after driving in rain or slush, they may freeze stuck, and even that bid Detroit ain't moving you. Birds are real low to the ground and there isn't a lot of room under there to swing a hammer to dislodge the brakes. In real cold weather, a trucker trick is to park level, in a low gear, (usually reverse) and block wheels so as to not have to set the park brake.

Mike and Tracy - near Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
1999 43 LXI, "Maddy" - 60 Series Detroit
FOR SALE, $85k U.S. OBO
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (Diesel) or 2013 Jeep Rubicon 4 Down Toads; Sold Jetta, but it was an awesome toad.

Last edited by mhughes01; 05-14-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-21-2014

ok, so do you have to always winterize?
what if you want to take a trip in December....how's that work?
We live in IA, it can get COLD!!

when we get our Bird it'll be in an outbuilding, we don't keep it heated though. Cost to much.

Is there a way to cover the Bird, would that help?

just trying to gather info.
THANKS!!
Old 09-21-2014
prone to wandering

First of all if you are storing a coach in a non heated garage you will need to winterize it. Depending on what coach you buy, you may have no issue travelling in very cold weather. At least we have no issues here with our LX.
jimdoel@me.com
Old 09-21-2014

Tina, If you wind up with an FC all the fresh water and plumbing will be inside. A small electric heater will keep it warm enough to not freeze. For the gray and black water tank others have used salt to keep the tanks flowing.

We use or SP in the winter. Normally don't winterize and run a heater until we can get out of northern Arkansas.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 09-21-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Tina, If you wind up with an FC all the fresh water and plumbing will be inside. A small electric heater will keep it warm enough to not freeze. For the gray and black water tank others have used salt to keep the tanks flowing.

We use or SP in the winter. Normally don't winterize and run a heater until we can get out of northern Arkansas.
Ya, looking more at the FC's.
when you say run a heater, you mean inside or outside of it?
(might be a silly question but thought I'd ask)

if you keep it inside do you just keep it at a low temp setting?

thanks so much!!
Old 09-21-2014

A heater will work but make sure you open all the cupboards because most of the plumbing is in the back of them and will still freeze otherwise. Been there last year.
Side Bath
3208NA (for now....)
Old 09-21-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamf4 View Post
Ya, looking more at the FC's.
when you say run a heater, you mean inside or outside of it?
(might be a silly question but thought I'd ask)

if you keep it inside do you just keep it at a low temp setting?

thanks so much!!

I have a thermostat that plugs into the wall and controls a space heater. Sit it at about 40 degrees. The heater sits inside the coach.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 09-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I have a thermostat that plugs into the wall and controls a space heater. Sit it at about 40 degrees. The heater sits inside the coach.
we have something like that already, we set the temp and it'll turn on when it needs to for an upstairs room.

would you open the cabinets and such so the warmer air gets everywhere.

Thanks for so much