Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Places to Visit

Places to Visit Talk about your travels. Let others know of great places they should visit? Let us know where it is and what's great about it.

Site Search:

Old 09-10-2018

Default Detroit to Grand Canyon

Hello,

We are planing a trip from Detroit to Mt Rushmore than to Grand Canyon .

We are traveling in pt40 no toad with another family and children.

Do you know of some attractions , and campground with cabins?

Thank you
Marty
1987 PT 40 Wayward Wind
Old 09-10-2018
RV Appraiser

If you're wanting commercial RV sites, a lot of KOA have cabins. But I would never go that far without a toad, some areas still in the US do not have cell service and it would ruin your day if you broke down in the middle on Hooterville without cell service. Custer State Park offers cabins but I think they are in a different area than the campground, In my opinion Mt. Rushmore is a 10 minute stop, but the Mammoth Dig Site in Hot Springs, South Dakota everyone will enjoy plus highly educational for the kids. I will say you're taking a real adventure traveling with another family & children. Good luck & enjoy.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 09-10-2018
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1 View Post
Hello,

We are planing a trip from Detroit to Mt Rushmore than to Grand Canyon .

We are traveling in pt40 no toad with another family and children.

Do you know of some attractions , and campground with cabins?

Thank you
Marty
Marty, the KOA in Williams Arizona is great. Lots of fun for the kids with an entire mini amusement park. They have log cabins, a pool, general store, etc... Also BearaZona is close by, a deer park where they can pet the animals, a zip line in Williams, Kaibab lake for fishing and the highway to the Grand Canyon is minutes a way.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 09-10-2018

Black Hills area and Mt. Rushmore were a hit with my kids back in the early 90's. Mainly because he build-up for the trip included seeing the movie North by Northwest (Cary Grant/Alfred Hitchcock). Ours ended up becoming old movie buffs.

We gave the question to our 7 year old... where do you want to spend your birthday? His choice was Mt. Rushmore.

On that trip we also did Grand Canyon, Aztec NM/Four Corners branding cattle with some Apache friends, Durango, Pikes Peak (honda civic toad), and various other points of interest. Somewhere along the road we bought a canoe and did some fishing in mountain lakes. Those were the years of 30 day MH trips each year.

We cooked a turkey and a full "Thanksgiving" dinner at a mountain lake on that trip.

We fished. I think trout cost 100 dollars per pound given the price of out of state license, a canoe, Yakima roof rack, rods and reels, etc.

Frankly, in my opinion, some members of the family were more cut out for these destinations. One kid just read books the whole time, while another had her nose glued to the window the whole time to make sure she saw everything. (That girl has since been all over the world... she has a framed photo of herself and husband & four boys on the Great Wall... and has a record of every place she's ever been. The book reader could have just stayed home and been fine with it. Today he pretty much runs a business from home and is there for raising his daughters... BUT the little ones have motorhome dreams because of the grandparents input.

I rattle on... but the point is... Sell the trip to the kids. Let them be fully engaged.

One of my sons recently traveled from Wisconsin to Spokane, stopping at EVERY roadside attraction they could find. Wall Drug... Reptile Gardens... Bird exhibits... Museums... Car museums... Air Force Base displays... The two boys got T-shirts and took photos, and had a blast. No stop was a famous place, but memories were made. Dad just slowed down and took 5 or 6 days on what others would try in 2 or 3. His boys would not have enjoyed a Disney park or Lego Land as much.

KOA cabins are good. KOA parks might be the way to go. They can be expensive, but the park will probably be a fun time for the kids.

FWIW we did this in a 26' class-c towing a civic. MH had 100k when we bought it. We USED it many times. We also brought our "dog" that was half-coyote.
1993 Automate FW SOLD
1984 Toyota Dolphin

Last edited by FredNewell; 09-10-2018 at 11:57 AM. Reason: oops
Old 09-10-2018

Thank you all for your responses.

And reminding me to have the children on the next planning meeting.

Thank you very much!

Marty
1987 PT 40 Wayward Wind