Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Frequently Asked Questions > Blue Bird Models and Blue Bird History

Blue Bird Models and Blue Bird History Here's where you can find information related to Blue Bird history. If you have Historical information such as brochures, pictures, advertisements, etc. this is the place to upload them.

Site Search:

Old 1 Week Ago

Default Differences 99 LXI's to 01 LXI's

Can anyone elaborate on the differences between a 1999 LXI to 2001 model year? Looking to purchase one and price-wise they are similar.
Spoke to the Expert Randy plus I have done a lot of research but really not finding much. The LX for instance underwent big changes so I'm thinking there most be something I'm missing? Thank you....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	99 LXI.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	59301   Click image for larger version

Name:	2001 LXI.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	59302  
Old 1 Week Ago

I don't think there are any major changes, but lots of decor changes and a few floor plan changes. A big one is that some have a "steerable tag", which is really a "castering tag". There was a lot of trouble with these so BB went back to a fixed tag. However, we now know what the cause was and how to fix it. It's posted on the forum. Now that mine is working, I love it.
Old 1 Week Ago

Thanks Ron, The two I'm looking at both have "Steerable Tags" but I guess your right as I don't believe they are actually controlled by the steering movements of the steering wheel. This is the first time I have heard that term, "Castering tag". The owner of the 2001 did mention he had some scrubbing issues after putting on new tires but had it repaired so perhaps that was issue? I assume at a certain MPH the tag locks into place or does it simply just follow? Interesting, I had a tag on my Monaco and it would automatically lift at slower speeds. It would have been nice to keep it down when exiting steep driveways for the extra clearance, especially if it steered...
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg9656 View Post
Thanks Ron, The two I'm looking at both have "Steerable Tags" but I guess your right as I don't believe they are actually controlled by the steering movements of the steering wheel. This is the first time I have heard that term, "Castering tag". The owner of the 2001 did mention he had some scrubbing issues after putting on new tires but had it repaired so perhaps that was issue? I assume at a certain MPH the tag locks into place or does it simply just follow? Interesting, I had a tag on my Monaco and it would automatically lift at slower speeds. It would have been nice to keep it down when exiting steep driveways for the extra clearance, especially if it steered...
Correct alignment is needed for it to work properly. That may have been his problem. If you want to know the tag details, give me a call. It's too long to describe here. You might want to ask if the tag has been welded in place, as that is what BB was doing when they couldn't figure out the problem. It is easy to put it back into service, once you know what to do. 269-556-9975any time. Glad to help.
Old 1 Week Ago

Tom,

I also think you will find major differences in the water bay . On the 99 and 00 for that matter the dump area has a door that slides out of the way . This often holds dirt and is a pain to deal with .

the bigger difference in the 01 and 99 would be where the dump valves are . On the 99 the black tank dump is located in the rear and a bugger to get to . The 01 will have them both forward within easy reach . Also the dump are on the 01 has a trough for the dump are making it easier to deal with a spill .
the third difference is the water line . In the 99/00 the fresh water line is forward and is covered by a carpeted piece in front of the Aqua hot panel . The 01 has the water line placed more in the rear where it has less exposer to cold air .
In my opinion all for all I would take the 01 over the 99 that is all else being the same .
Does the 99 have double pane windows ? I would expect the 01 to have them for sure . Nice feature if like I you need to be in sub freezing climate. Good Luck with either one as they are both great coaches .

2000 LXI Single Slide
Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 1 Week Ago

The '99 has double pane windows.

The black tank dump valve on the '99 is in the front of the bay and is easily reached. The grey water dump valve is further back and is more difficult to reach. It is possible to remove the paddle for service without dissassembling the piping but it's tight.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 1 Week Ago

The 2001 LXI will be equipped with hub piloted wheels; my 1999 LXI has stud piloted wheels.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 1 Week Ago

Somewhere along the line WL switched from those grey law suited water lines to CPVC and PEX. I know my 2000 has CPVC and PEX while my friend's 96 has the gray stuff.
2000 LX40 ME "Angry Bird!"
Body# 129047
RShrimp@Yahoo.com
Old 1 Week Ago
ANOTHER REDNECK

lxi has a series 60 detroit

Lx has a Cummins!!!!!!
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=254
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571
F133316 BODY NUMBER
Old 1 Week Ago

Thanks you guys, good information!

Some required investigation like the difference between "Stud" and "Hub" wheels which I have never heard of. After research still not sure which is better but have to assume they changed in 2000 to "Hub" so must be for a reason?

Great points on the dump valves and water lines as well! All of these need maintenance sooner or later for sure. Also Al's point about the trough can be huge.. LOL Been there done that.